3/6/2017 Continuing Steak Challenge Thread

challenge
steak

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #183

Sous vide and I have a long and sordid history. No sous vide at my house. Maybe someday, who knows. I HIGHLY doubt I’ll sous vide steak. Grilling it from step one is my favorite method…

I have been grilling almost every steak on this challenge. I did one or two in my cast iron skillet. I prefer charcoal, but this little propane grill just outside my back door has me cramming rare steak into my piehole within minutes of coming home from work.
I turn the burner on high, heat the grill for 5-10 minutes, put the steak on, and close the lid. Cook for one minute, and flip it 4 times, cooking one minute each turn. (Each side gets cooked twice). Keep the lid closed between turning to keep the flames down.

I also have the butcher cut my steaks a uniform thickness (3/4 to one inch thick, always). This is KEY as I am used to this thickness. I tend to the grilling steak closely…
poking, prodding, touching, and watching till it feels done. I can really tell by touch now.
It’s an art form. Lol

Here’s my grill, and that’s my cat Floyd. He’s going back into the house before I turn the grill on.
The grill is a Brinkmann. Works swell.

(bulkbiker) #184

Has anyone started a Floyd fan club yet?
I think we need one

(Jacquie) #185

@Brenda I don’t own a sous vide but I’m curious about your take on using one with steaks. What didn’t work for you? I eat steak very rare (blue) and grilling thick steaks sounds perfect to me. :slight_smile:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #186

Cooking steak in water in a plastic bag doesn’t appeal to me. Then it’s taken out to get that sear, or maillard effect. Seems kinda stupid to cook it in a bag for HOURS, and then fry it anyways.

Just my own personal bias on the whole thing.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #187

Day 28, March 27.
Was extra hungry today. No doubt caused by a 2 hour bike ride. Dualsport motorcycle riding isn’t passive! At 6 pm I grilled up a little over a pound of ribeyes and another ribeye tail, for extra fat.
I ate 14 more ounces of sirloin and fatty ribeye when I got home at 9!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #188

Day 29, March 28.
Tonight I will use blood ketone strips to test after dinner at four 1/2 hour intervals along with the Ketonix.
I am consuming my normal amount of extra fatty ribeye, 1.5 pounds.
I also tested both before my meal. Ketonix was 6 yellow. Blood ketones 1.7

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #189

Day 29, March 28 continued…

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #190

Day 29, March 28.
Did not finish it all. This is not common for me.
Psychologically I am more than ready to start adding other foods to my diet…

(AnnaLeeThal) #191

I second the F.F.C.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #192

Day 29, March 28 continued.
I checked my blood ketones this day every half hour after dinner.
30 minutes, 2.2 blood ketones
1 hour, 2.1 blood ketones
1.5 hours, 1.8 blood ketones
2 hours post prandial, 1.1 blood ketones
Ate the leftover steak from dinner at 10 pm. Hungry again.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #193

Day 30, March 29. LAST DAY
As of this morning down a grand total of TEN POUNDS!!!
8 am blood ketones

(Michelle) #194

Hi Floyd!!

yea, for steak, not so much. But for tougher cuts of meat… a Chuck Roast sous vide for 72 hours at 131 is the most best flavor and texture so far. The boston butt and corned beef I did were pretty awesome too.

(Brian) #196

[/quote][quote=“Brenda, post:192, topic:8690”]
Day 29, March 28 continued.
I checked my blood ketones this day every half hour after dinner.
30 minutes, 2.2 blood ketones
1 hour, 2.1 blood ketones
1.5 hours, 1.8 blood ketones
2 hours post prandial, 1.1 blood ketone
[/quote]

Brenda with all that protein how do you maintain those ketones!???

I keep hearing we should be reducing our protein intake. I tried reducing protein for several months along with intermittant fasting and all it seemed to do was reduce the total calories I could consume by over half. So recently went back to not worrying about limiting protein while limiting carbs and keeping fat fairly high and seem to be doing better. Last night had close to a 2lb ribeye (it came closer trimmed than your nice steaks) along with a large olive oil and MCT oil drenched salad and a large pecan tort for desert besides my earlier in day BPC, and to day weight down, highest Ketonics reading in a long time and, dawn effect blood glucose a little lower.

I’m confused re: suggestions to limit our protein

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #197

Who suggests this? Do you mean me? Or someone else told you to reduce protein?

We are all unique. I cannot stress this enough. I seem to do quite well with the science of Phinney and Volek (The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living). Their recommendation is .6 to 1 gram protein per pound LBM. .6 if sedentary, .8 if moderately active (me, I don’t sit all day at my job, and I lift twice a week), 1 gram if an athlete.

I practice IF, and have been eating minimum 150 grams of fat a day during this challenge. Yes, my ketones are high, that is EXACTLY because I am not eating excessive protein, and that I am eating adequate fat!! Excessive protein isn’t even ketogenic. Our body can only use a set amount of protein for building and repairing muscle. Excess is burned as fuel, and very inefficiently. That is expensive fuel!
Even body builders do not need much added protein to build muscle. Maybe 20 grams beyond the LBM calculations above at most.
Remember, a ketogenic diet is low carbohydrate, MODERATE protein, high fat.
No way around that. That is how it works.
Here’s some great science explaining why excess protein is in fact not a ketogenic diet.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #198

I have a sweetly massive LBM. I had a DEXA scan. I know the exact numbers.

I eat .8 grams protein per pound of LBM, as Phinney and Volek suggest.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #199

Just bought a 19 oz Wagyu for my 30th and final day of my steak challenge.

I deserve it.

Photos forthcoming…

(Brian) #200

No, not you, I really appreciate your steak challenge. It’s freeing me to be more the carnivore I like to be.

Several pod casts back believe both Richard and Carl reduced their protein way back. and several other pod casts and articles talk about limiting protein. So I was very glad to see your steak challenge. i don’t plan on going that extreme but do plan on going back to large meat portions. I’ve never really counted or measured protein and have no real idea what my lean body mass is.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #201

I do know Richard experimented by cutting his protein and taking a DEXA before and after to see if he lost LBM. He didn’t.
@richard, what exactly did you reduce your protein to? Wasn’t it the current Australian dietary recommendations?
Otherwise I think @carl and Richard follow closely to what I am doing.

Correct me if I’m wrong guys.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #202

@BGdiving, if you are insulin resistant it is important to see what excess protein does to you. LBM can be estimated pretty accurately without a DEXA scan. I had mine figured out correctly matter of fact!

There are several online methods.