2019 Thanksgiving Plans For Success (Fasting!)

(Kirk Wolak) #1

Okay everyone, we have Thanksgiving coming up.
I made my goal in April of this year. I am maintaining (not wonderfully, although I am within 2-3 lbs of my original goal weight right now)…

And I WILL NOT Approach a FEAST without a plan for a FAST (Famine).

So, today is Day 6 of a 6 day fast. I eat tomorrow, and look out! I would not want to be a slow moving animal near me tomorrow! I will probably pack away 4K calories… In 2 meals.

Okay, that said. My plan was/is:
6 Day fast the week before. Eat Friday, Fast Saturday/Sunday.
Eat Monday, Wednesday and Thursday (Normally MWF), Enjoy my keto foods,
including Keto Pumpkin Cheesecake, and Keto Ice Cream (Rebel).

Then, Friday, if I wake up hungry, I will do a fat fast. As much bacon and avocados as I want. All day, until the hunger dies down. If NOT starving, I will just go into a Fast.

I plan to Fast until Wednesday the following week. (A 5 day fast). Eat 2 meals Wednesday, Fast Thursday, Eat Friday.

Then Resume my NORMAL MWF routine through the holidays.

My birthday in Late Jan will be another Dessert Day. I prefer to “cheat” with KETO desserts. The real things are just too damned sweet, and I RISK a massive addiction response to the sugar, which I want to avoid. I have given up alcohol, even wine due to how I respond.

That’s me. IT’S Public! I believe it is well thought out. I doubt I will be able to do enough damage on Thanksgiving to undo the 6 days of fasting going in, and the 5 days coming out, plus fasting immediately after.

But I have an event the week after, in which I want to be a little below my goal weight, to show off being almost 25 lbs lighter than I was in 2018 where I was down ALMOST 100 lbs, and people did not recognize me at first! (Gotta have goals).

Again, what are YOUR strategies for dealing with the food, excess food, desserts, and how are you going to get back on track… And WHEN. Say it loud, Say it proud! LOL

(Jane) #2

:laughing:

(PSackmann) #3

I like this idea, sharing our plans. My plan is to bring a Keto cheesecake for the group dinner we’re attending along with at least one side dish that is close to Keto. I’m not a multi-day faster yet, so I’ll eat an early dinner Wednesday, then not eat again until Thursday afternoon. I’ll do my best to avoid the grazing that is prevalent while watching football–this event will go from 2 until midnight, so that may not be possible. Friday I’ll wait until dinner to eat. I will allow myself to have some of the non-keto food that will be there if it appeals to me, most importantly I’ll focus on the friends and fun and not stress about what I’m eating.

LOL loved your post. You thought out what will work for you and that is a great thing :slight_smile:

for me being carnivore, I got T-day and Xmas handled.

I will eat like a Queen should. All meat and seafood…the others can eat whatever they want.

I just stick to my plan as always and make no concessions whatsoever.
Eat plan, eat well, enjoy the day and move forward.

I got my meats and seafood ALL set in those days for me and well planned…the side are for ‘them’, those ‘them’, ya know the ones that don’t do my plan LOL

I think it is great for we who do plans do have it planned out well in advance to suit us individually. Those who do this and not wing it will survive thru the social times better I think

(Kirk Wolak) #5

See, but you have a plan! That’s what separate those who fall off the wagon, and those who keep on riding…

I am 99% carnivore. On some occasions, like this, I will stray. I will pay a price. I could end up with intestinal problems for 2-3 days, and migraines for 1-2 days and my blood sugars will be off for a couple of days… But I am prepared for it. I have a daughter at home, and it’s important that I help her stay keto and pay a price. I find a way to help her navigate it… Not long from now, she will move out, and I wont be there… She will have to remember what she learned and watched…

Also, while getting coaching elsewhere… I would be amazed at the other people calling in, who were saying “Well, the wife and I took a cruise, and then came back and didn’t get strict again… That was 6 months ago, and now I have gained my weight back, and my doctor wants me on drugs again…”

I was like “What?” You went on a PLANNED cruise, and DID NOT PLAN for how to return from a cruise. I will tell you… A FRICKING FAT FAST of ONE food, for as many days as it takes for you to WANT TO FAST. Then fast. Then come back strict keto from there. It’s easy. Yet EVERY Session at least 1 or 2 of the 4 of us were giving this same report…

Then as I read the boards, even here, you see these stories of people coming back. I met a guy who lost 150lbs on Keto… But he “traveled too much” and couldn’t maintain it. “What? You were traveling when you lost it, weren’t you?” “Yeah, but I eased up when I hit my goal”… “So, at what point should you have said “Woa! I’ve got to NOT EASE UP!”” ???

Yeah… but it’s too late now, I put the weight back on…

Shoot me if I become like that. Please!

(Marianne) #6

Lock up the pets!!!

:joy:

(Marianne) #7

God bless! My props. :clap:

My plan is to eat keto foods only. I have done this in the past when we have entertained and firmly believe I am not going to have an issue getting into what I don’t want to. I have several keto options for appetizers and hors douerves and will stick to those. I will make myself some keto gravy, which tastes acceptable to me.

After so many years of uncontrollable eating, I am very afraid of awakening that demon and have it slowly progress from there - it’s a very insidious process for me. The one time I had a major cheat (desserts only, at a wedding reception), I felt so guilty and afraid afterward that I haven’t gone there since. I just feel like I am dancing with the devil. Champagne has been my only real indulgence. Looking forward to the holiday.

Got most of my Christmas decorations up, including the tree (just white lights; I don’t want anything else on the tree - I keep it up all year). So pretty.

I so get what you are saying.

We work hard to lose the weight. We work hard for improved health.

With ‘dieting’ in our minds we fight the good fight but it is amazing how many won’t put that big effort into maintaining.

Plus so many ‘diet’ and then think it is over. It is never over.

We all gotta think of it as a lifetime life change. Or we can’t make it.

Good post…it brings to mind if one goes off plan and gets into that trap of just letting it all go…a great tip is HAVE a plan for all situations we face. Very good thing to remember :slight_smile:

(Jane Srygley) #9

Love this!

I got abstinent from sugar on 9/24/19 for the hundredth or so time because I have made MANY valiant efforts over the past 38 or so years (since realizing I was a sugar addict) to eat sugar moderately. Goddess willing, I have finally given up that fight and will never go back to that poison again.

Bringing keto veggies and keto treats to the Thanksgiving dinner. Planning on ONE glass of wine because keto has turned me into even more of a lightweight and I don’t want to spend this Thanksgiving in the f***ing bathroom (like I did last year :nauseated_face:). But also alcohol is not my friend anymore than sugar is, so one glass will be IT.

I am bringing “keto veggies” because I tend to eat out of nervousness while visiting my partner’s family. I just keep shoving things in my mouth, and veggies will keep both the carbs and calories a BIT more reasonable. The “keto treats” are so that I can eat dessert and not feel totally left out.

I will fast until dinner the next day. Thanks for the thread :heart:

(John) #10

Thanksgiving is really easy for me. Just me and my wife, and she is fully supportive.

We’ll probably roast a chicken. A whole turkey is just too much for us. We’ll make several low-carb vegetable sides. I’m thinking broccoli or asparagus, roasted radishes, and some sort of cheesy cauliflower mash, maybe a salad.

I may end up eating more food than usual, but the foods themselves will be all normal keto stuff.

I normally fast on Fridays so that will fit right in.

(Karen) #11

I’ve been searching all the Thanksgiving posts for ideas since this will be my first big social holiday on Keto. I’ve been a little stressed out because we’re going to a friend’s house and she has asked that no one bring anything. She’s a great cook and I am planning on trying to remain good, while not offending her. I have no idea what will be on the menu, so it’s like taking a huge blind leap. I’ve tried so hard to be vigilant with my carbs and have gotten to week 10 as of Monday. I’m really hoping to be somewhat fat adapted by now, but who knows. I’ve only been able to complete a few 24 hour fasts, so maybe I’ll try that on Friday. Many of my friends don’t know I’m eating Keto and I’m not sure I want to discuss it just yet because they all have strong feelings about their own diets. Goal for this holiday: enjoy friends, no stress, eat/drink in moderation. Thank you all so much for your insights and support! I’ve never posted before today, but have read so many great ideas and stories that have really made this easier!!

(Jane) #12

My advice is load up on the turkey or whatever protein she serves and low carb veggies and take very small portions of everything else if you do not want to offend.

It’s just one day and if you can muscle through the fasting on Friday you will burn up the carbs pretty quick and be back on track. It may be a bit harder to fast since the carbs will amp your hunger up a bit, but doable.

(Jane) #13

I have a keto couple coming to visit us for 5 days and she is bringing her Dash mini waffle maker so we will have 2 for chaffles.

All of us are coming up on 2 years keto and on maintenance. Our plan is to eat keto every day except Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving will be mostly keto - almond flour stuffing, Brussels sprouts, creamed spinach etc. But there are a couple of things I cook that they loved before we all went keto so they will be our small treats for one day.

Then back to keto.

(back and doublin' down) #14

a good golden rule: if fasting, tell No One! And with ten weeks behind you, you can do this! Janie had good advise to load up on the proteins and be polite about taking the other stuff.

Relapse is part of recovery. Trust me, if you’ve been eating well for this length of time, when you eat that carbage stuff, you’re going to FEEL it, and that’s going to be the lesson that will fuel your fast the next day and help you remember why you made the changes to keto in the first place.

Thanksgiving hasn’t been much of a holiday in my adult life. My boys were always hunting with their dad and sometimes I got invites, sometimes not. This year, was planning to drive over to my son’s but the weather could be a problem. (There’s a mountain pass between us) So yesterday, I bought a bag of shrimp for my own little private feast. Since moving to Colorado, I’ve adopted the #OptOutside mentality for the next day(that proverbial shopping day) , and will fast as part of my current 3x42hr fasts weekly routine.

Totally agree about making a plan. In addition, if you are going into a ‘war zone’ where your direction of eating may not be accepted, Practice Saying Your ‘gate closing’ phrases OUT LOUD. “Wow, it looks delicious but so does this turkey.” “Oh really? I’m opting away from more sugar.” “Hmmmm, maybe I’ll have a bite later.” If you say them out loud, you will be better able to recall them and use them when you need them.

(Jane Srygley) #15

Hey Karen! I don’t fast more than 24 hours either at this point. It’s a great way to reset if you do end up going off keto on the holiday. Good luck :heart:

Also I want to know why your name is Goatlady because I love goats!

Great suggestion and I’m definitely doing this! “Relapse is part of recovery” WORD :slight_smile:

Great minds and people named Jane think alike :rofl: I was thinking of doing this and I am always so concerned about trying EVERYTHING that the host offers… partly because I’m scared of offending/standing out but also because I really want an excuse to eat the food I don’t normally eat.

I will be at my brother-in-law’s house as I have been for several years now. I had the thought this morning that if I do cave and eat carbs, it’s like I’m sacrificing my “body” for other people. Why do I think it’s ok to do that? Why am I so willing to let pleasing other people be the reason that I compromise my health? So I’m thinking now about doing a dirty keto day. There will be plenty of turkey and probably some beef and I know there will be veggies… so if I choose to avoid the bread and potatoes at dinner or the fancy crackers or chips before dinner, I definitely will have other things to eat. I had planned on announcing that I’m not doing sugar, only having one glass of wine… so I could also say, “yeah… I’m doing keto, so no bread, thanks, but pass those brussels sprouts!” It is an option. I don’t have to sacrifice my body for anyone. :heart:

(back and doublin' down) #16

oohhhh…I like this! and I’m going to use it as a mantra for my next difficult social situation!

(Jane Srygley) #17

I found this article about peer pressure influencing overeating and how to avoid it. I need this!

“We eat like others because we want to be the norm. We want to be like the people we are spending time with,” Dr. Albers explains.

“And it’s subtle. Studies have shown that people eating together even tend to chew at the same rate. They mirror the person they are with.”
That means if you hang with a crowd of indulgers, you’re more likely to overeat in order to fit in. It works the other way, too — you’re more likely to pass on that piece of cake if your friends do.

(Kirk Wolak) #18

Thank you for sharing this. It’s funny, because I am WIRED to do the opposite.

I would rather stick out than go along. Which is probably why I am willing to sit through a business lunch with 8 people, being the only one to simply have a coffee.

Now, I did NOT always practice this skill with eating. I usually just joined in. But I was also always in awe of that one person who could turn down the dessert and the foods I was alway overeating…

Not perfect. Nobody is. But now I find it’s pretty easy to do what I WANT at a meal, including fast through it if it is not good for me!

(back and doublin' down) #19

ran across this quote and it reminded me of the discussion on this thread, particularly about how to avoid others encouraging one to eat off plan for the holiday:

quote from Oscar Wilde: “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live. It is asking others to live as one wishes to live."

(Karen) #20

My husband and I raise dairy goats! Not a ton, just about seven, but it’s so much fun and we get milk and cheese if the breeding is successful!

I love this too and immediately related! It’s time for me to take care of me dammit!

Thanks you all, I was just starting to have a horrible day at work and it cheers me up to read this forum. I work in a hospital with a lot of older folks who seem to have lost any type of filter. I just had an old guy tell me his “daughter’s butt is even bigger than yours”. I usually ignore this stuff, but today it really got to me, especially since I’ve lost almost twenty pounds. Ugh. KCKO