2019 October Carnivore Challenge?!

keto
challenge
carnivore

Thank you! So much to learn! :slight_smile:

(mole person) #102

They ate nose to tail. It was entirely by choice too as they picked what they wanted to eat during this year long experiment.

Is there a link for your quoted section? It looks like a very good read.

(mole person) #104

Sure! Itā€™s a pfd download though.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.jbc.org/content/87/3/651.full.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi2oqypkJ_lAhX2TxUIHeguDwUQFjANegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw0wSfb0ED3AEsUUcc_TSr7H&cshid=1571172195401

(Elizabeth ) #105

That wasnā€™t how they ate outside of the experiment though hereā€™s his own words https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmEYBrlOVL8&feature=youtu.be

(mole person) #106

@Elizedge Very interesting! I wonder why he chose to eat brains and organs during the experiment then?

Has anyone been considering doing this https://nutritionwithjudy.com/carnivore75hard/?
Iā€™m already carnivore but am considering it.

(traci simpson) #108

Dr Berry eats kidney and livers and brain when he can find it.

Sounds like a fun way to stay strong through the holidays. :slight_smile:

Ok October is winding down. Iā€™ve been back on Carnivore since some time in September and more things come to light. Some good some not so much.
It appears that dairy may be an issue after all. Iā€™ve woken up achy a couple times after being more generous with cheese or yogurt. I find myself wanting beef over chicken or pork pretty much all the time. Except for sliced pork belly I donā€™t eat much pork anymore. This is weird; last time I ate bacon it seemed sweetā€¦like I could taste the sugar in it. Freaky. Also seems that egg whites are the culprit and eating just the yokes works out ok.
Oh, also found that precooking ground beef then eating it cold works well for me. Liquid fat when itā€™s just cooked does a number on my stomach. Drinking water too soon after eating also. I already donā€™t drink and eat at the same time.
Another plus is that alcohol has less appeal. When I do have any itā€™s not much and I just donā€™t want anymore.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #111

That for me as well. Even just keto, not carnivore. Now close to carnivore and I really donā€™t want to drink any at all.

(mole person) #112

Oh, this is an interesting observation. I canā€™t tolerate a lot of rendered fat either but never considered that temperature might change that.

You wont lose the ability or lose the microbes, they will just go dormant. If you lay off vegetables all together for a long time you might get an upset stomach for a few day when you switch back but it will adjust again just like when you let a sourdough starter sit to long in the frig without feeding it. You can always revive it. We all (most everyone) bounce back even after taking antibiotics. Iā€™m not strict carnivore but Iā€™m so low on vegetable mater that if I eat a big salad at a restaurant I get loose stools for a day or so sometimes but not always. Just donā€™t switch before going on a long trip if you donā€™t want to have to stop a lot. For me - cheese seems to be a good solidifier/stableizer but I have literally no food allergies that I know of other than serious heart burn from the skin of bell peppers which is probably why even native Americans roasted peppers. Roasted peppers donā€™t bother me at all or else just remove the skins.

(Bob M) #114

How is this possible? I would choke to death if I ate cold ground beef without drinking water.

(Bob M) #115

Interesting observation. Iā€™ve found I canā€™t eat raw sauerkraut, but cooked seems fine. I can, however, eat fermented pickles with no issues that I can tell, so Iā€™m not sure why sauerkraut causes me problems. Iā€™ve also been able to boil peppers (the bell pepper kind), then stuff them with meat/cheese and cook them, and I was OK.

For any vegetables I eat, I do something to them: cook them, ferment them, etc. I seem to be able to have cooked cabbage, too.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #116

Maybe sulfur content. Cooking may drive it off. Just a guess.

I bought some Maple bacon a while back, had 0g sugar per serving, but I found it to be nauseatingly sweet, couldnā€™t eat it! It was weird.

(Bob M) #118

Itā€™s difficult to know. Cooking does a lot to the vegetables. Now, the only time I eat ā€œrawā€ veggies is if I have a salad, which I will have when I go out, on vacation, etc. I canā€™t get enough to eat those times, so salad is at least one extra thing I can eat.

Isnā€™t it funny how low carb changes your taste buds? I tried to explain to my kids how much sweeter natural things are, like berries, if you cut out the processed sugary crap.

Lets just say I have learned to savor and chew slowly. :laughing: