2019 October Carnivore Challenge?!

keto
challenge
carnivore

(mole person) #61

I tend to eat twice a day on carnivore. Under a pound of meat all together. I tend to find most cuts too lean so I add a fair bit of beef fat to all but the super fattiest cuts. Even rib eye gets added fat.

If I eat too much protein I feel crappy. I did this last night actually. The rib eye was too yummy and I overdid it. For me keeping to a high fat/moderate protein macro on carnivore is even more important than it was on keto.

(Chris) #62

Iā€™ve been carnivore for more than eight months. Iā€™ve had a lot of benefits.

Iā€™m 45m and have exercised most of life. However, on starting this diet I added at least a kilogram of muscle. Skin is much better, mood more stable, pretty much better in every way.

One downside though - Iā€™ve lost a lot of tolerance for other foods. So be careful!

(I assume if I worked at it I could get back on those other foods)

Good luck with you month!

(Elizabeth ) #63

http://www.zerocarbhealth.com/tag/hunger-signals/

(Elizabeth ) #64

I can tell you from over a decade of experience with thousands of carnivores it has shown that it takes about 2 lb of meat on an average to get all the nutrients that your body needs especially for the first 6 months.

(traci simpson) #65

Can you explain how you ā€œover did itā€ with the ribeye? was it too big? did you keep eating even though you could have stopped?

(traci simpson) #66

Donā€™t forget all the other stuff like the liver, kidneys, cartilage etc.

(mole person) #67

Yes. It was too big. It looked reasonable when I put it on my plate but I began to get full about halfway through it. But it was so good that I kept eating. I ended up with a stomach ache, poor sleep, skin reaction and I already know Iā€™ll be out of ketosis for a day and my energy will be lower today. Too much protein sucks for me.

Iā€™ve had great success using a technique I picked up from a podcast by a bariatric surgeon. If I donā€™t start with food on my own plate but rather on a plate in the middle of the table and only carve off smaller portions, this allows me to ask the question every time my plate is empty ā€œdo I really want more?ā€. If the answer is yes I take another small portion and keep going until I hit a satisfied feeling. When I start with too much food on my own plate I just keep going for too long.

(traci simpson) #68

Good advice!

I had 3 eggs this morning and coffee with hwc. As I absolutely will not be a nose-to-tail eater ever (itā€™s a mental thing for me), calling my attempt carnivore probably isnā€™t a fair assessment lol. I think I may just track an as close-to-carnivore as possible for me month and see if I garner any benefits with my inclusion of small amounts of butter/cheese/hwc, meat, and eggs :confused:

@BeStill you can still be carnivore & eat the basic (normal) meats & not the organs & whatnot. Iā€™m not sure that i will make organs a staple in my diet this month, but i will use this month as an opportunity to try new meats and organs i wouldnā€™t normally try just being on regular keto. I do want to try beef suet though. Just need to figure out if my butcher has some :slight_smile:

(Edith) #71

I discovered liverwurst. I cut it into once ounce slices and freeze them individually. Then, everyday I take out a slice, warm it up, and spread it on pork rinds. It makes having liver tolerable for me.

I went to my local butcher shop here & picked up some t-bone, sausage, beef tongue, suet, beef bones (marrow) beef heart, some garlic butter & a sour cream horseradish sauce :drooling_face: Iā€™m so excited to try the suet, heart, marrow & tongue. Anyone have any tips on preparing these odd items??

(Karen) #73

OK, so hereā€™s my concern on carnivore. You take out vegetables then
You take out dairy then
You take out eggs then
You only eat meat and the fat on them
Then you cut out fish
Then you cut out chicken, then pork,
So you can only eat beef, and organ meats from beef then
You can only eat beef muscle meat and water and salt.
Pretty soon thatā€™s all you can tolerate without G.I. upset. Something about this doesnā€™t gel with me.

Day 3: Broke my fast with 3oz ground moose, 3oz ribeye, some butter, sour cream & a bit of salsa for lunch. Dinner we cooked up a T-bone & some itialian sausage with some garlic butter & i had some suet.

Suet. Itā€™s strange. I definitely would say it takes a little getting used to, but itā€™s not the worst thing in the worldā€¦Just a texture thing at first. The taste is very mild. I could see myself eating a little bit with dinner every night. :+1:t3:

I understand this concern, and mostly share in it. Questions I have been trying to find opinions/answers on include: how long can one eat strictly carnivore without drastically changing gut environment? Is the elimination of other foods causing food sensitivities or just revealing them? Will the mostly meat consumption eliminate my inflammation or add to it (all meat is not created equal for this bod lol)?

(mole person) #76

I think this isnā€™t really true for 95% of carnivores. I donā€™t think there is even a single carnivore on this forum that is pure muscle beef, water and salt. As far as I can tell about half of the carnivores out there still even eat dairy. Also, dairy sensitivities are super common even among non carnivores so itā€™s to be expected that when you have a population committed to elimiating foods that make them feel sub optimal that a lot would end up eliminating dairy.

As far as carnivores eliminating non beef meat and eggs, this is far rarer. There are people out there who insist that ruminant meat makes them feel their best, and so they prefer it and donā€™t bother eating other meats but itā€™s not because they canā€™t.

I have been doing carnivore for the better part of 6 months now. I still eat all the meats and eggs and tolerate dairy exactly as I always did before, which isnā€™t very well but it doesnā€™t make me ill.

I was very, very ill before I went keto and keto helped me a lot. It reduced my conditions enough to allow me to get off of narcotic pain killers, it helped my energy, mood, skin, and took some weight off. All very good. My life was better.

However I was still sick after 2 years on keto. I was still taking two drugs for neurological pain, I still had weekly migraines, and my gut still hurt almost all the time to some degree. My blood pressure never normalized on keto, I stopped having bowel movements more than once in 12 days, I was still bloated all the time, and my sleep suffered. Also, the last 5 pounds would not budge.

When I went carnivore the improvement in my pain was so rapid that I started tapering off one of the drugs within a couple of weeks. A month later I was drug free. Completely drug free! I have an incurable neurological disorder that causes the most intense pain of any medical condition. Before I was diagnosed and treated with the drugs (it was three months before I got the correct diagnosis) I told my husband that I couldnā€™t continue to live if I had to exist in that state. And even the narcotics that I took for my migraines wouldnā€™t touch this pain.

The Trigeminal Neuralgia Association UK says the condition is regarded as the most painful condition that is known in the medical world. and is often known as ā€œthe suicide diseaseā€.

My migraines are also 100% gone as long as Iā€™m strict. My weight is the easiest to manage that itā€™s ever been and my blood pressure is now in the optimal range.

I can still eat anything I want but within days to a week all of this begins to reverse.

Am I more sensitive to vegetables now? Yes, but itā€™s minor. If I add them back slowly everything is fine. When I visit my family I still pop a date, or bit of watermelon, or a couple of spears of asparagus with no ill effects. A few weeks ago I pulled a small apple off a nearby wild apple tree and ate it. It was so delicious that I immediately ate three more. I had no problem other than a return of the awful tooth sensitivity that I suffered from pre keto and a slight uptick for a few days in my trigeminal neuralgia pain. But zero gastric issues.

So yah, there is a slight increase in my sensitivity to certain vegetables but so what? They are bad for me. Iā€™m not remorseful that keto made me more sensitive to ice cream, chocolate bars, muffins, cake and pizza. And just like with those foods the intolerance is only temporary. At first, if I start eating sugar and carbs I get this nasty hangover and dreadful inflammation but it tapers back to its pre keto levels in about a week of being back on the SAD. Vegetables on carnivore are no different.

LLana, youā€™re testimony is awesome, Iā€™m so glad that carnivore eating has helped your pain :blush: Thank you for sharing this info!

This was a big question for me. Iā€™m pretty sure carnivore (and to a lesser extent keto) brought out a major reveal for me with tomatoes. I cannot eat those things, used to love them. Also used to have a lot of weird aches and pains that I donā€™t have anymore.

(Karen) #79

Thank you for your thoughtful answer. I just want to lose some weight. Carnivore sounds like a good way to go, but not at the cost of not being able to eat vegetables and dairy and other items again. So Iā€™m trying to figure out how to maintain enzymes to digest dairy, and bacteria to help me with vegetables, and yet still lose weight. No major medical issues that Iā€™m aware of. A-1 C, and fasting insulin is OK. I had a bit of gout and I certainly have a lot of fat.

(mole person) #80

If I were in your shoes Iā€™d feel the same way. What Iā€™d do in your position is just have one or two small portions of vegetables a week and maybe an ounce of some dairy. That should keep any digestion issues away while still reaping any benefits from carnivore.

Honestly, I think dairy and nuts are the biggest issues. After all of my testing I still donā€™t think keto vegetables cause fat to stay on on their own itā€™s more a problem of palatability and satiation associated with how they are prepared.

If I was still struggling with weight and not dealing with the medical conditions this is what Iā€™d do based on what Iā€™ve found works for me, ymmv:

1. No dairy at all
  2. No nuts or seeds or nut butters
  3. No keto breads of any sort
  4. No sweet things of any sort
  5. Try to get fats only from unrendered meat fats (this is the only sort of fat thatā€™s highly satiating to me).
  6. Eat my vegetables without added fats.

This last one sounds odd, I know, but here is my reason. Fats make vegetables much more delicious and I can eat a lot of vegetables when they are covered in oil, butter, bacon grease, and/or cheese. My satiety signalling completely goes out the window. Iā€™ve seen this 100+ times. Iā€™ll eat a full meal, stuff myself to where I couldnā€™t possibly have another bite of steak and then turn to the dressed salad and eat, and eat and eat. It might as well be dessert. I have a whole second stomach for any carbs that are ā€œpackagedā€ with fats.

So if becoming intolerant to vegetables is a serious concern maybe try undressed vegetables. I think the only weight youā€™d really lose from getting rid of the vegetables themselves is some water and inflammation weight that would come back immediately anyhow upon reintroducing them.

Anyhow, thatā€™s my two cents, for what itā€™s worth.