2018 Lenten Fasting

fasting
lent

They are awesome. It took about six months before I stopped hearing that “ch-ch-ch-chia!” song in my head every time I reached for the container. You can make so much with them!

I’m totally not hungry this morning after my porridge-fest last night, but I’m about to have some coffee and then we’ll see later. Have got to eat today, though!

(Pascal Menezes) #62

The three pillars of lent are (1) Prayer, (2) Fasting and (3) Almsgiving. I will join you both - Ron and Nichole - in prayer and fasting during Lent. I’ll use the fasting regimen suggested by Ron as best as I possibly can.

I welcome other members of this forum to join us. You have time until 14th February for firm up your decision. I will begin feasting on Carnival Sunday, Monday and Tuesday (Feb 11th, 12th, 13th).

I will also assign a dollar value to each of the meals that I will not be eating and handover the total amount to charities that deal with feeding the hungry to fulfill the 3rd pillar of Lent - almsgiving.

Finally the aim is to become healthy in body, mind and spirit.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #63

Welcome @jpmenezes Pacal!

I really like your idea for the almsgiving and will look into that as well! Thanks for the inspiration!

(Jeff Davis) #64

I’ve been thinking about doing a 36-42 hour fast each Wednesday and Friday of Lent, sort of an alternate-day fasting protocol, but had also toyed with doing the Wednesday through Friday each week fast. I may mix it up from week to week depending on how I feel, but I’m definitely in on the concept. Funny how things (like fasting) that are good for us spiritually are also good for us physically. It’s almost as if we were designed that way!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #65

Welcome Jeff, We are each fasting our own way so join in and keep us posted!

I’m commencing another practice fast beginning tonight (Tuesday) after supper and planning to go until Sunday breakfast. I’m hoping that’s the schedule I’ll be following during lent. We’ll see how it goes. Anyone else doing another practice fast before the official start?

I am thinking of starting thursday night till sunday morning. Not yet confirmed! Have to check out what is happening in the household first.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #68

I decided to take this week off fasting and start, as scheduled, on Ash Wednesday! I have quite a few social and business plans this week and early next: Valentine’s dinner on Tuesday night!

I do have some business travel plans during Lent and will continue to fast on those days as well. I find it pretty easy to fast when travelling - just don’t need to worry about eating!

(Robert Hollinger) #69

I will join you on this on some level as well. I don’t know what it will look like yet. I usually have tried to do a water-only fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday with my son as I felt that the 1 meal and 2 small snack was too easy to be meaningful. Perhaps I will continue with at least fasting every Friday.

I like the idea of starting Lent with a 3 day fast Wednesday - Friday.

At church, they described historical fasting for lent consisted of 6 days of fasting and eating a meal only on Sundays (mini Easters) throughout the period. Basically, one meal a week. I thought that was cool :blush:

This week I’ll be fasting starting tonight, Thursday (after dinner) until Sunday morning…

(Jennifer Patterson) #72

Hello. I had planned to do my first extended fast on the weekend of good Friday so think I will join you in the run up as well!
Jen

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #73

Welcome Jennifer! Have you fasted before?

There are a lot of experienced fasters on this thread if you have any questions.

(Jennifer Patterson) #74

Hello. No, I am new to Keto and fasting so it will be quite an experience!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #75

Have you already cut back on carbs? When you do you may experience the ‘keto flu’ due to the withdrawl from all things that turn into sugar! One way to deal with the keto flu is to eat more salt, add it to your water and especially your food. Who doesn’t love salt on their eggs?

Fasting will be much easier if you are fat adapted (you quit carbs a month or two ago.) If not take the fasting easy - shoot for not eating at all on Ash Wednesday for example. I may not be easy, a lot of people already eating keto have trouble with doing a 36 hour fast. Eating dinner on Tuesday and then breakfast on Thursday is 36 hours!

I’ll pass on the advice my doctor gave me before my 46-day fast: “If you don’t feel good - eat!”

Good luck and keep in touch so we can help you.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #76

Just saw a new video on fat and fasting featuring Dr. Caryn Zinn, my favorite dietician:

Enjoy!

(Jennifer Patterson) #77

Hello
Thank you for the advice!

Yep, already done the carb withdrawal, it wasn’t pretty! Lol.

I thought I would do a test fast this week and am currently 24 hours in. Planning on having breakfast tomorrow. Feeling pretty good - currently drinking a BPC so not total fast!

Jen

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #78

Congratulations Jen on the 24-hour fast, here’s to stretching it to 36 hour’s!

Fasting gets easier as you do it. You will also find that the hard part becomes the mental game of ‘Ih, that looks good, maybe just a bite!’ With no physical hunger.

Welcome to the team!

(Michelle) #79

I may try to join you on Feb. 14-18!! Very nervous though…

I am ready for a 3-day fast next week, essentially from Tuesday evening to Friday evening. I will likely allow myself some bulletproof coffee and some bone broth with butter melted in.