2018 Lenten Fasting

fasting
lent

Fantastic- the more the merrier!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #42

Welcome to the gang!

I understand the tunnel vision! Iā€™ve done the same thing over a deep fryer! Has to have a submerged element. Has to have a cover. Etc., etc. And hereā€™s the kickerā€¦no one sells non-hydrogenated lard in Alabama! Not even in the ethnic stores. I even called the packing factory for Field brand. Nice people there. They were as astonished as I was. ā€œNot in Alabama.ā€ Tried to buy it direct from them. Nope. No direct sales to the public. So if I want lard, Iā€™m going to have to render it myself first. So, lawsy, what am I trying to accomplish here? LOL!! At this point thatā€™s still in ā€œtoo much troubleā€ territory. But I piddled away too much time dreaming of lard, so I totally get it. (Sounds like a country music song, doesnā€™t it? ā€œDreaming of Lardā€. Heh.)
I think this fast is gonna be fun!

Thank you! This is a gang I like!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #45

Second day and feeling very good. I was a bit cold yesterday but trying to remedy that by moving more, some exercise, and still adding salt.

I actually used some HWC in my coffee this morning, had to run out to a meeting right before lunch, and I was thinking about where to stop for lunch! I wasnā€™t hungry but my wife was along and I knew that she would be hangry and would need to eat before 1:00! I had to remind myself that if we stopped I either have some sparkling water or decaf coffee. We stopped at a grocery and she picked up something there and I bought some beef for this weekend.

As @avocadosrule mentioned above, I will many times get tunnel vision on recipes and cooking techniques during a fast - I donā€™t get hungry it is more of a planning thing of what am I going to break this fast with! I was learning yesterday about doing chuck roasts sous vide for 24-48 hours and I mentioned to my wife that I may do that for Superbowl Sunday. I can start them tomorrow, Friday, and let them cook until Sunday finishing them off in my cast iron skillet! Hmm, sounds like a good plan.

Now with 7 more of these 3-day fasts coming up I will have to stay creative with my refeeding plans. I am actually eating a ZC, carnivore, no plant foods lifestyle when eating which is meat, some dairy and eggs. I have been feeling great the past couple of months and will continue on.

The experienced ZCers say to not fast but I am doing it more for the religious reasons than the health. A main precept in the carnivore lifestyle as @amber says is ā€œEat meat, not too little, mostly fatā€ and that seems to work well for me!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #46

A couple of choices for lard are to look for a local farm with pastured pigs to see if they, or their processor, makes lard for sale or at least will provide you with the leaf fat, best for lard. Otherwise you could get fat from most butchers and render the lard yourself, it is easy to do.

I have actually used scrap fat, not the leaf fat, and had good results by trimming as much of the meat and connective materials. The butcher actually gave me the fat for free as it would just be tossed out!

If you like to do things yourself, and have the time, then by all means rendering your own lard is the way to go. Otherwise look for farms who pasture/forest raise their animals and see what they may have available.

This is very good advice. Thanks!

I was able to go back fully keto again at the end of May 2017 after recovering enough from the stroke that I could start cooking again, even if one-handed. Anyway, this was the way I did it for awhile before the stroke - me and my tiny crockpot. Was never able to get more than a small amount of trimmings at one time, but I rendered what I could.

Since that time all independent butcher shops have closed here, the local grocery store meat departments wonā€™t even talk to you about buying trimmings, and pigs are no longer processed in this part of the state. Iā€™m frequently on the lookout for a local farmer I could approach, but no luck so far. Thatā€™s ok. Iā€™m determined, so Iā€™ll keep at it. I apparently live in a ā€œlard desertā€ lol. Iā€™m just really kinda whining about it more than anything else.

But for anyone who does have trimmings or leaf lard available to them and canā€™t buy commercially- rendered non-hydrogenated lard locally, @ron-coleman I totally agree with you! Rendering it yourself is a really good option. Plus, chicharrones!!

A few hours away from 3 days of fasting - will break my fast tomorrow morning. Yay!

Feeling so so, slight headache (related I think to my cold), bit blah about work but my energy is fine, just blah. Had enough salt through soy sauce (bleh). Not unhappy about not salt supplementing after today. Similar to my 7 day fast, I find the supplementing difficult - donā€™t like it, feel resistant to it, donā€™t like it in my mouth. I struggled with it during my 7 day fast here:

Have not been too chilly overall. Did have some chills last night and used the heating blanket and woke up warm. I think having more salt has helped that piece.

Donā€™t have a physical need for food currently but am daydreaming about this or that though no particular energy towards any type of food.

I have planned out my breakfast for tomorrow - I think Iā€™ll have eggs, hollandaise sauce, and keto buns. I have a dinner party tomorrow night and will be making a squid salad and some keto friendly dessert.

I like this thread and the feeling of support! How is everyone else doing?

AR

(migorstmarseille) #49

Iā€™m coming up on 70 hours and am feeling pretty calm. I had a great fasting assistant this week: The flu. I spent Wednesday and Thursday sleeping and drinking water. Lots. Iā€™m feeling pretty human today and will break with a few olives in another few hours. I did just check and my GKI was 4. Best Iā€™ve ever had.

I also got some pork belly and roasted it for a refeed tonight, should the olives go OK. Hope you all have had a good fast.

I want to sorta join in by doing IF on those days (fasting till 5pm) and fish on Fridays, if thatā€™s OK.

Just a questionā€¦not trying to be nosyā€¦have you tried a wheat-free tamari instead of soy sauce because, well, soy?
Feel free to tell me MYOB if you want. :slight_smile:
And the squid salad sounds really good!

Ha! No I donā€™t mind at all. This is what this community is for. Do not worry for a second. I am in constant learning mode!

So when I purchased the San-j soy sauce I had several options. The wheat free was not one of them so I got the gluten free. Which I think is similar to wheat free. Is it? Someone help. I checked the label and saw there was no wheat. My regular Kikoman soy sauce does have wheat in it.

Anyways, I am no soy sauce expert, so if anyone can chime in, please do!

For sure - love to have more rather than fewer!

^^^^ This is tamari. (See the front label?) I think ya done great and got the right thing!

Yay! Sometimes so hard to sift through so many product options!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #56

@gatita Love to have you join us on this journey! We are each doing the kind of fasting that is best for us!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #57

I broke my practice fast at 69 hours: last night we went to a talent show/dinner for our church youth group and they had pulled pork - my wife complained that the pork was too fatty for her so I quickly jumped into line and loaded up my plate with the pork - carnivore heaven!

I was feeling a bit chilled during the day, taking salt in all my drinks to manage it, and I knew that eating would resolve that issue. During Lent I will not eat on Wednesday-Friday and it is proper to abstain from meat on Fridayā€™s anyway so this act will repeat itself.

I think that fasting on a zero-carb is almost a bit harder than on keto as I do crave fat; not physical cravings as in stomach rumblings or anything like that but getting the taste in my mouth that some good fat: butter, bacon grease, coconut oil, etc. would taste really good. It is a strange feeling and I will have to work at controlling it a bit better.

I hope everyone who participated in the practice fast came through well. It was meant to help up prepare for those 7 3-day fasts coming up in about 11 days beginning on February 14, 2018.

Happy fasting!

I fasted for 69 hours too. I was most hungry after 40 hours till the end. I took salt in water, put on the palm and on the lemon and licked it. Thanks Ron for the challenge. Without it, I would probably quit after 40 hours

I broke today at 73.25 hours. I was just massively hungry. I broke with some raw pumpkin seeds and diluted broth and then a big bowl of hemp heart & chia porridge with lots of coconut oil. OMG, so good! I have been dealing with horrible tummy growling the last three or four fasts and canā€™t make it past 3 days. Iā€™m getting plenty of electrolytes, but I think they are causing the growling. Next week Iā€™m going to try moving the magnesium (malate) part to a separate dose and make it closer to bedtime instead of all throughout the day like the rest to see if that helps a bit. Right now, though, no more growling, so thatā€™s a relief.

Good job! I just discovered chia seeds and they seem like a miracle food - no net carbs!