2018 Lenten Fasting

fasting
lent

(Damon Chance) #134

I’m about 72 hrs in and have decided to fast from Sunday night through Friday evening each week. Breaking the fast with the Orthodox Lenten foods which will be basically vegan Keto on the weekends. I will allow myself some mct or coconut oil in my coffee throughout the week. I will probably break this one tomorrow as it was more of a warm_up. I’m feeling a little weaker tonight. I think I totally missed some electrolytes at some point today so I will have to do better after this week.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #135

It is 36 hours so far for my first week of fasting and I feel good. I had mostly water and black decaf coffee yesterday although I did have 2 oz of heavy in my late morning coffee, about 200 kCals. I did use salt in my water, about 1/4 tsp per 16 oz glass so it doesn’t taste salty. My favorite salt, with minerals is: Redmonds Real Salt.

My blood glucose dropped again this morning to 87 mg/dl as I would expect while fasting. I tested 3 times yesterday in the morning, noon, and 6 PM and it held steady at 97 mg/dl. I look at my BG readings showing the control I have over insulin since we want to keep insulin as low as possible to allow our body to heal and in a 3-day fast to create more Human Growth Hormone (HGH).

My morning ketones today were 0.4 mmol/l but the first reading in the morning is usually the lowest for the day. The 3 tests I did yesterday revealed: morning; 0.3 mmol/l, noon; 0.5, 6 PM; 1.6. Looking back to my previous fasts, 4 and 2 weeks ago, my morning ketones may not go up until Saturday or Sunday. I will continue to check 3 times today and tomorrow and will report my findings.

I said I wasn’t going to do tables but; I hope that doing a table my help some visualize what is happening with my blood glucose and ketones during the day while fasted. Without other data I cannot say this is average for everyone although we do know from other research that for ketones the lowest reading is usually first thing in the morning and the highest is late in the day.

I believe the reason ketones go up during the day is because the liver creates ketones based on your energy needs and the ketones (BHOB of beta-hydroxybutyrate) we measure are ‘excess’ as they have not been used. The increasing amounts shows the growing amount due to our exercise and activity. Many people have mentioned that measuring ketones after an intense workout results in very low numbers as the ketones have been burned to fuel the workout. A few hours later the ketone level rises significantly. I don’t do intense workouts, walking from my desk to the coffee pot and return, so I may not see this phenomena.

(Victoria Mc Coy) #136

I find the table helpful as I am just starting to track GKI. I may create one for myself!

(Victoria Mc Coy) #137

As a fairly new faster, I’d love some advice on electrolyte balance during fasting. I have used Vitamin Water Zero and Smart Water, and I’m stocked up on Fiji water too. Are these going to be sufficient for a 2-3 day fast, or do I need more. Looking at purchasing these,
Jigsaw Health - Electrolyte Supreme - Amazing Lemon-Lime Flavor - Broad Spectrum of Electrolytes + trace minerals - 60 Powder Packets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GF4TGIQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_6UzHAbYZPMZHE

but they are pricey. I don’t mind if it’s a good support, but I m not sure. Any insights from the group would be appreciated.

I am also at 36 + hrs. I thought I would allow myself BP coffee & bone broth, but so far I have done neither. Just water, bubbly water, coffee, tea.

(KCKO, KCFO) #139

You can make your own electrolyte drink, ketoaide . Everything you need is at your local grocery or pharmacy Here’s a link to it:

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #140

Victoria,
I love the Jigsaw Health electolytes but I found the sweetner they use is a problem for me. It doesn’t change my glucose very much but it really impacts my cravings more so when I am not fasting. If I use sweeteners I find I want to snack a lot more than when I don’t use them. I’ve had to give up the sugar-free Torani syrup in my coffee as well as the Jigsaw Health.

Your mileage vary!

Another option is to increase your sodium intake to 1.5-2.5 tsp (3000-5000mg NaCl) per day. Using a good sea salt will also contain other minerals that are important. Many people use ‘Lite Salt’ as well as it helps with cramping issues in the legs.

At 42 hours so far for this week. Woke up hungry but it’s been manageable.

No update yet on the phosphorus question. Just stay tuned, I guess.

How is everyone else doing today?

(Christina Heinrich) #142

44 1/2 hours! I have not made it this point before without caving and eating. slight hunger waves, but really trying to get my salt in. So far have only had plain black coffee or green tea. avoiding sweeteners like the plague! Going to take kids to a fundraiser dinner tonight. plan to drink only hot tea. Praying for strength to get thru tonight!

I had a little bone broth last night, still going strong. Will break tonight.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #144

Made it to 60 hours and like everyone always says the second day (yesterday) was the hardest! While I have not had any physical cravings there were a lot of times my mind was telling me to go have some eggs or bacon or even a steak! Like @crunchypharmd above I headed for a bit more salt and the desires, mental games, went away.

I am planning to break my fast tomorrow, Saturday, morning at about 84 hours with a light breakfast of eggs and some bacon. I will be going to a retreat on Saturday where they have some great BBQ ribs, with sauce on the side, so I plan to really refeed at lunch!

I am down 4.6 lbs (2.1 kg) since Tuesday morning before the fast and am happy with this progress. During my previous test fast I was also down 4.6 lbs (2.1 kg) on Friday morning but during the ZornFast in January, I did 3 days on 17-20, I only lost 2.8 lbs (1.3 kg) at the 60 hour mark so I figure my body is getting more comfortable with fasting!

On my blood glucose (BG) it seems to have popped back up to the 120 area at noon yesterday, I did have a coffee with HWC from Starbuck’s shortly before I tested but I did tests last year while fasting to see if my BG reacted to having HWC with these results:

Note: I was deep into fasting by that time so my BG started in a very normal range. My test consisted of 5 readings: 1 immediately before I drank the HWC in decaf coffee and then readings at 30 minutes, 1 hour, 90 minutes, and 2 hours. And you can see there was no appreciable change in BG except that we could posit that there was a bit on an insulin response as my BG dropped to 70 mg/dl at the 90 minute point.

As I would expect, my ketones (BHOB) are rising each day within each test window so the 3 mornings have been 0.3, 0.4, and 0.6 mmol/l respectively. I am anxious to see if my BHOB get to and stay above 1.0 in the mornings following my fast as they did during the January ZornFast.

A minor temptation tonight as I will be working at the fish fry at our church; we have breaded fish and shrimp, fries, baked beans, and cole slaw that contains sugar so nothing I am interested in eating anyway. They fry everything in peanut oil and I may talk to them about trying beef tallow in the future just to see how it compares. The decision will be the price, I am sure!

Keep sending in your updates I love to see everyone’s successes!

KCFO (Keep Calm and Fast On)

It really is a mental game. In body scan meditation, you observe your physical sensations without judging them. Even a painful sensation can dissipate if you just exist and observe it. Same goes for hunger.

Today’s update from the zoo…

At 64 hours for the week so far as of this morning. Tested blood sugar a few minutes ago and it was 70, so I’m happy about that. Oh, and NSV - I’m wearing some old baggy shorts around the house these days. Yesterday I stood up and my shorts didn’t! Needless to say that after I do the laundry today I’ve just got to start packing those old rags up! Have some much smaller ones I’ll try on later that I thought I’d never get ONE leg into, much less TWO. Hopefully they’ll fit. I’m not weighing but I know I’ve dropped a little on my tummy since this fast started. Yay, me!!!

(Damon Chance) #147

I’m at about 111hrs in right now and will be breaking the fast at some point today with some Macadamia nuts and then probably some eggs. This weekend I will be eating meat-free but with Dairy/Eggs until Sunday evening when, after Forgiveness Vespers, we will begin Lent proper and no more dairy/eggs for the remainder until Pascha. Given my results this week I’m pretty confident that I can easily fast 5 days each week and only need to worry about staying Keto for 2 days which will probably be 16:8 IF anyway.

I’ve been in Ketosis, as far as I know, continuously since June of '17 so even if I get a few more slow burning carbs in during the weekends I feel like it won’t impact me much.

So far, so good.

Starting Day 3 of IFing for this week. My aim is to go to at least 5pm each day on tea and broth, Wed-Fri, and no meat on Friday.

I had a cheese moment yesterday — I made a conscious decision to have a little bit because it felt like my body really wanted protein. I’m OK with it, part of what I’m doing is just trying to learn more about hunger and cravings and discipline and how they all work for me.

I noticed when I ate dinner the last two days I ate a lot less and felt full much quicker. I’ve IFed before but never on multiple days in a row, so this was new.

Usually I feel hungry around 4 pm and then 5 pm sails right on by without me even noticing.

You’re doing great! That’s the BEST part about this, learning how YOUR body talks to you.

P.S. LUV your user name! I have a little gatita myself…her name is Trixie.

(Jeff Davis) #150

If it was me, I would probably stay away from beef tallow if the purpose is to observe abstinence on Fridays. It’s probably technically allowed under the 1983 Code of Canon Law, but not the best practice. See here:

Abstinence does not include meat juices and liquid foods made from meat. Thus, such foods as chicken broth, consomme, soups cooked or flavored with meat, meat gravies or sauces, as well as seasonings or condiments made from animal fat are technically not forbidden. However, moral theologians have traditionally taught that we should abstain from all animal-derived products (except foods such as gelatin, butter, cheese and eggs, which do not have any meat taste).

Thanks! I have a gatitO, his name is Mando but we all call him Gato lol.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #152

Congratulations on your fast! I am glad to hear your confidence going forward, believe me it only gets easier!

The mental games will never go away but you will learn how to deal with them.

Loved the update.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #153

@gatita You are sticking to your plan without any issues - you are a winner - Congratulations!

Thanks for the update.