2 weeks into Keto & GAINED 6 LBS!

(Edith) #34

Not enough salt can also make you hungry. If it has only been two hours or so since a meal, try having some salt, either through bouillon tea or a glass of salt water with 1/2 teaspoon salt. That may take away the snacking hunger. Salt/electrolyte needs go up on keto.

Edith

(Ken) #35

Another salt source is dill pickles. Almost no calories and tons of salt. My preference is for the fresh pack ones that have to be kept in the fridge. The juice can also be drank as well. Other pickled veggie type products.also work. If you really like similar products, you can pickle things like ham, gizzards, beef, eggs, etc. yourself.

(Andrew) #36

Some dill pickles have fructose in them. Fuckers

(Allie) #37

I can only find them with sugar added :slightly_frowning_face:

(Andrew) #38

The little gerkins usually are good. TART mf’ers

(Candy Lind) #39

The people who say:
“eat more fat”
and
“You’re not eating enough”
and
“stop snacking!”

ARE RIGHT!

I restricted calories at first and IT SLOWED MY WEIGHT LOSS TO A CRAWL. You MUST eat enough calories and make 70% or more of it fat, or this way of eating will not work. Since Christmas, I have increased my caloric intake three times, and each time I’ve seen another drop on the scale. My body is finally beginning to ASK for fat for energy. Since you work out, you will fat-adapt more quickly, but you MUST give your body fat for fuel, and enough of it, or it will not adapt. TRUST ME.

Oh, and the salt thing? You need A LOT, especially when you are still adapting. Use lots of salt and supplement potassium and magnesium. There’s lots of info in these forums about it, and a recipe for “keto-aide” which I drink daily.

KCKO (Keep Calm, Keto On)!

(Candy Lind) #40

Yes, fasting is good - AFTER you are fat-adapted. NOT before.

Being fat adapted certainly makes the first few days of fasting easier. But for sugar burners, fasting can be a way to bypass the keto flu, caused by the fuel limbo the transition in diet creates. Fasting forces the body into lipolysis, quickly and dramatically increasing ketones, so after 3-4 days, most folks start feeling good.

(Candy Lind) #42

It’s the “easier” part that I keyed on! LOL Although … I might end up doing a short fast this week to see what happens, when I’m home with no big plans and can take it easy. I’ve been putting it off because I’m a chicken (a high-fat chicken! LOL), but it’s time to kick it into high gear. I need to get well enough to get back on the road with my hubby.

You can do it! Keep thinking about the open road👍

(Michele) #44

For keto to become part of your life and for you to get to grips with it you need to read a lot of material. You need to read until you really understand how keto works. The videos that Dr Berg has on YouTube are great at explaining all of the ins and outs. Stick to the basics. 20g of carbs or less, moderate protein, plenty of good fats. Work back from 3 meals a day, then two then to one meal a day (IF - intermittent fasting). Don’t push too hard to get from three to one. You will need to allow your body to guide you with this. If you try to rush it your will set yourself up for being disappointed and confused. Your body needs nutrition and healing and not punishment. If you are exercising to punish your body stop. Exercise because you love what you’re doing.
Next thing is don’t panic - you’ve had a lot of good advice - don’t expect a miracle because you have read “lose 10 lbs in a week”. This is terrible advertising for keto and sets people up for unrealistic expectations. This is not going to happen to anyone who is close to their ideal weight. (Goal weight and ideal weight are not necessarily the same - I might have a goal weight to be 115lbs but the chances of that happening for me are almost zero, I’m 5’2" and currently I have a lean body mass of 108lb! ) You have plenty of time between now and May and I understand the motivation about losing weight (fat) and therefore size before your wedding. One thing you don’t want to set yourself up for is losing weight by May and then putting keto behind you and regaining plus some. Being keto is almost like a relationship commitment. You really need to believe in the science behind keto to know that you are choosing keto for all of the right reasons. This is not a quick fix, or a one night stand kind of thing. I hope I don’t sound like I’ve been on a soapbox - If I sound like that it’s because I read this kind of thing often - “this isn’t giving me the quick fix I want - what am I doing wrong?”. Be patient and make decisions based upon the right motivations.

Love this advice!

(Lily) #46

Hiii. Consume lots of green veggies and MTC oil. MTC oil. And healthy fats is the key… I lost 6lbs in 4 days! . I’m 5’1" and started at 135 lbs. Stay away from the “dirty keto diet” unhealthy and not a quick fix.
Good luck!! :slight_smile:

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #47

Full fat adaption usually takes about 2 months for most or even longer for others. I hope everything went well for you. Sry it was lots of posts I didn’t have time to read them all.

(Scott Helie) #48

I’ve had similar results. 3 weeks I’ve gained 8 pounds. I’ve up my workouts , mostly all cardio , which does mean I have energy . But I’m chewing SO much gum to keep from eating. I keep under 1800 calories of keto food a day and keep gaining weight. Any help out there?

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #49

We might need more information, such as what is “Keto food” for you, and in what quantities ?

(Kristen Ann) #50

Be patient. Eat more food. You’re hungry because you’re likely under eating at 1800 calories and lots of cardio. I doubt you gained 6 lbs in fat weight…

(Jill F.) #51

It took me 2 months to be able to feel fat adapted and to be able to start IF. I agree with previous posts eat more fat and eat less often. Work out less too. Keto is different than your typical diets where cardio is king and you have to literally work it all off.

Secondly, planning a wedding and all of that entails a lot of stress. Putting pressure on yourself to be a certain size and look a certain way adds to that stress. More stress, more cortisol, more weight gain.

I am a psychotherapist, and here is my free therapy tip for you :slight_smile: I wish I had a dime for every bride I have seen who had a breakdown after the wedding was over. All the pressure brides put on themselves to have everything perfect including themselves (been there myself!) is crazy! Just remember your love would marry you in a potato sack, so this pressure is internal. Relax, look forward to a lifetime of happiness with your perfect person, keep calm and keto on, and you will be perfect for your big day! Congrats!!!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #52

Just a note to say this is a recently revived topic from Jan 2018. Not to say that recent comments aren’t valuable to the topic in general. But maybe not so relevant to the OP.

(Edith) #53

Be careful about the gum. The artificial sweetener could be messing with your metabolism, especially if you are constantly chewing it.

Also, some people suddenly start eating foods they never really ate pre keto, you could be retaining water from ingesting something new or to which you may have an intolerance.

Next, sometimes people do gain weight at first because their body does some healing and the weight loss comes later.

Finally, I am a 5’3” 120 pound female. I think I eat about 1500 calories a day. You are eating not that much more than I do. You could be stressing your body with the increased cardio and not enough calories.

Until your body learns how to metabolize fat efficiently, the usual newbie suggestion is to eat more fat when you are hungry. Also, make sure you are getting enough sodium. Low sodium can also make you feel hungry. Some people find they need to supplement salt. About 2 teaspoons of salt, 5 grams of sodium, via food and supplementation.