2 weeks into Keto & GAINED 6 LBS!

(Lannie Le) #1

DESPERATE AND DISCOURAGED!
I started Keto Jan 11th at 133.2, goal of hitting 115 by May for my wedding. I’m panicking and very discouraged at this point, wondering if this diet is for me.
Purchased Keto Blood Glucose Meter (yes I’m serious about this) and keep fluctuating between 0.2 to 2.4 mmolL throughout the day depending on which day, I ran out of test strips so I’m waiting for them to send more:
Jan 17th: 2.5 at 4:25pm
Jan 18th: 1.5 at 10:25am
Jan 18th: 0.5 at 9:41pm
Jan 19th: 1.2 at 11:17am
Jan 22nd: 0.2 at 3:19pm
I was using the Keto meter to help me learn my boundaries but after Monday, and finally stepping on the scale… I’m defeated!
I’ve read Keto Clarity and the science behind it is amazing! I love not starving on a diet, finally but not if I’m gaining weight.
I don’t have much time until my wedding, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

What I consistently do every morning: 2 pills of 10,000 priobiotic, 2 pills L-Theanine, medium DD iced coffee black with 2 whole organic Stevia.
Plus Barre for 45 minutes everyday after work.

I uploaded a screenshot of my macros below and typical daily food diary.
Am I doing this wrong?!?! I’ve invested so much money and mental energy into this, I’m determined to see results but can someone please help me figure out what I’m doing wrong? Thank you! !

(New users can only upload one picture??)

Female
5’0”
Start weight: 133.2
Goal: 115
Body fat: 28% (using the visual chart and compared with pictures)

(Tammy Kidd) #2

It would help to know what foods you are eating and when. Also weight loss is not linear. Everyone’s body adjusts to lc/keto in different ways. More info please.

(Chris) #3

Just for your info, this isn’t a quick fix diet. You need time to adapt. This is a long-term way of eating which will eventually heal your metabolic dysfunctions. You’ll get some great advice here about which foods and how much, but the most important part is you need to stick with it long term.

(Becky Searls) #4

Quick question: do you FEEL bigger? (Eg clothes tighter, etc?)

Keto does some interesting things to our hormones and sometimes the scale stays the same or goes up while you are getting leaner in the abdomen / gaining more muscle. :woman_shrugging:

I’d try to focus on how you feel in your skin and in your clothes - I remember wanting to feel good in my body on my wedding day - and I know it’s easier said than done - but if you meet that goal and your dress fits, who cares if the scales says a particular number?

Best of luck - our motto here is “keep calm and keto on” - I’d say in 4 months you’ll have time to adjust and if your body’s set point wants it, drop weight. One thing tho with keto - if you are at a healthy weight, itll be hard to drop past that!

(Michael ) #5

If you absolutely have to hit a weight by may, you can try some fasting. Weight loss in a set time frame isn’t necessarily something guaranteed on keto. There’s a ton of changes in the body that can make early weight fluctuations difficult to understand or predict. I think it’s worth relaxing a little and continuing before making dramatic changes. Since you have to lose weight, the alternative is just cutting calories. So, you can do the same thing on keto and at least feel more full and get healthier. You can easily accomplish a calorie deficit with IF or EF. A lot of people don’t worry about calories on keto, but if you really have to lose weight, a short term deficit through fasting could help. Again, the alternative is calorie deficit with regular diet where you always feel hungry and cold so might be worth giving keto more time

By the way, a pound of fat is roughly 3500 calories so the idea that you gained 6 pounds of fat or muscle in under two weeks is absurd…unless you’re drinking a bottle of olive oil for breakfast. You might want to look at measurements over the scale and again, give it time or create a deficit to reach your goal

(Lannie Le) #6

(Edith) #7

I would say your protein is too high and your fat is too low. For you height and probably lean body mass you should be eating about 60 g of protein, give or take, a day.

Edith

(Tammy Kidd) #8

I agree

(Eleanor ) #9

From what I’ve researched, in the initial stage you should aim for as close to 200g of fat that you can, in order to allow your body to realise that there is a new fuel
Source available. Macros @ 80% fat, 15% protein, 5% carbs.
Also coffee affects the adrenals and raises insulin, some people are more sensitive than others.
I’ve only been doing it for a week but I have stripped my meals down to basic meals of fatty protein, fats, carbs from cruciferous vegetables…teas with grass fed butter, mineral water, Himalayan salt, magnesium and potassium citrate. Then I plan to reintroduce according to my tolerance.

(Eleanor ) #10

Also remember that exercise raises cortisol so be mindful as to what exercise you are doing and for how long.

(Jessica) #11

Why is your calorie goal so low?

(Lannie Le) #12

Tammy, I’m sorry I couldn’t reply until they approve my Newbie status,

Breakfast: egg and bacon soufflé
Coffee with 2 TB coconut oil
Snack: 2 salami cream cheese roll ups
Lunch: 3 oz grilled steak just salt and pepper and another bacon egg soufflé
Snack: 5 green olives, 6 black olives
Quest chocolate chip bar (the sugar cravings are really killing me now)
Dinner: half pound of 80% ground beef with 1/4 c sieved tomato, Shirataki noodles, garlic, 1/4 c mozzarella cheese and tb Parmesan cheese
I will have a fat bomb at night to help with sugar cravings too. (Coconut oil, butter, heavy cream, coffee, swirve, vanilla stevia drops and unsweetened cocoa powder).

(Tammy Kidd) #13

Personally i would ditch the quest bars…they are a chemical mess. Try to stick to whole natural foods. Give your body time to adjust and start healing.

(Lannie Le) #14

I have not felt any bigger. I actually feel puffy in the face and legs but It might be because I’m combining Keto with 5 days of 45 min Barre a day and running. Genetically I build muscle very easily, should I be working out on Keto?

(Lannie Le) #15

Mike, thank you for the candid and useful advice where most people would just say “don’t do it… this isn’t for you if…” I will look into IF (that’s intermittent fasting right?) and, what’s EF?
Definitely cutting calories!
Should I refrain from working out since you brought up the muscle factor?

(Tammy Kidd) #16

Yes i was just looking at that. If you still feel you need to eat 5 times a day you might need to add some more healthy fats. IF is the way to start out. Start by skipping a meal or two you will work your way into EF.

(Lannie Le) #17

Ive adjusted my macros, does this look right?

(Lannie Le) #18

I need to hit a goal weight by a certain date. I know this is a lifestyle diet and plan to ease off of the restrictions once I hit my goal weight and measurement but I still need to prepare for my wedding.

(Lannie Le) #19

My biggest problem with most diets and the reason why I want to stick with Keto is because of the satiety factor. I am usually ravenous 5-6 tines a day and binge. I get hungry every other hour even on Keto. Keto articles say that this will improve once my body becomes more Keto programmed but how long does that take? I’m still always starving now, hitting week 3.

(Dan Dan) #20

It appears your eating all day long (you didn’t give the time of your meals/snacks) this will cause you to have insulin all day long and even tiny amounts of insulin block lipolysis.