1500 calorie meal plan?

(Jenny Andersson Ilgenfritz) #1

Hi there! I am new to Keto and would like to keep my daily calorie intake around 1500 calories or so. I am struggling a bit with wanting more variety in my meals, so I am curious to see what a typical days worth of 1500 calories look like for you?

(Mike W.) #2

How did you come up with 1,500?

(Jenny Andersson Ilgenfritz) #3

I used a macro calculator online. I am new to this so this may not be correct. Iā€™m 42, 122 lbs, 5ā€™4 and want to lose about 7 more lbs. I have lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks but seem to have stalled the past few days

(Erin Macfarland ) #4

Why do you want to ā€œlose 7 poundsā€? Your body is stalling because it most likely doesnā€™t want or need to lose weight. You will get yourself into some negative health situations if you force your body to a weight that you ā€œthinkā€ it should be at. Our bodies are quite smart, and itā€™s very important for women to have sufficient fat on their bodies. It helps balance hormones, thyroid function, and protects your organs. I would encourage you to think about why youā€™re trying to lose such a trivial amount of weight. It will not make you happier or healthier. It sounds like you donā€™t have any health issues, like many folks here. This is more of a vanity issue, and if you arenā€™t happy with your body now, you definitely wonā€™t be when you weigh 7 pounds less. Plus youā€™ll be hungry and crabby.

(Karen Fricke) #5

One of the nice things about keto is not counting calories. 20 grams carbs, approx 50-60 grams protein for women and 75-100 for men, and fat to satiety. If youā€™re hungry, eat, if youā€™re not hungry, donā€™t eat. Donā€™t push do much for weight loss. Itā€™s not so much about weight as it is about healthy diet and getting hormones in balance. The weight will happen on itā€™s own.

(Jenny Andersson Ilgenfritz) #6

I guess the reason I want to lose 7 more lbs is because 115 lbs was my stable weight for many years. After I hit 40, the weight started creeping up and I just didnā€™t like the way I felt. I have heard so many people say that happens after 40 but it sucks lol

(Jenny Andersson Ilgenfritz) #7

Makes total sense:) I have forced myself to eat sometimes because I see a lot of people talking about making sure you get enough fats and proteins and that not doing so can actually slow down progress. Since I am new to all this, I figured this is a good place to get advice:)

(Erin Macfarland ) #8

I am not intending to be critical of you at all :slight_smile: but our bodies do indeed change as we age and women tend to gain weight as they approach menopause (especially around the abdomen) to increase production of estrogen as it declines in the ovaries (fat produces estrogen). Our bodies and our culture often have two different agendas, and understanding that we are ultimately not in control of what our bodies do can be difficult. And we are told at every turn as women we must conform to some unattainable standard that can even be harmful to our health. You are absolutely right that you should make sure youā€™re eating enough. Calories, energy, are life! Our bodies need them! When we try and restrict our bodies will react negatively both physically and psychologically. I understand it is frustrating to have gained some weight and that you feel uncomfortable. Just realize that discomfort you feel has been planted by a culture that profits from women hating their bodies and tells us weā€™re not good enough unless we maintain a certain appearance that is often against our own biology. If you feel good eating this way, then continue to do so, making sure youā€™re getting sufficient energy, rest, moving when it feels good. Sometimes (and Iā€™ll stick my neck out there) women need to add some carbs on occasion in the evenings and it improves their energy, hormones, and ability to maintain keto in the long run. (Iā€™m talking some sweet potatoes or fruit, or dark chocolate!) Mental health is just as or more important than the physical aspects of our health and if you strong arm your body into dropping this small amount of weight I guarantee youā€™ll experience negative consequences. Iā€™m in recovery from an eating disorder and let me tell you, accepting my bodyā€™s need to gain weight has been incredibly difficult. But itā€™s helped me understand how screwed up our ideas about what a healthy body is for a woman. So focus on how you feel rather than the number on the scale. Ultimately our bodies will do what they will, and it will benefit us greatly to show them some compassion :heart:

(Jason Fletcher) #9

The 10 pound is mostly water weight. I donā€™t know your body fat % but from your stats i would say it is in the healthy range. It is hard to get help here from a lot of people to cut off some of what most would call vanity weight. I would say a majority of people here come from a back ground of some sort of major metabolic problem. So being 42 and 122 at 5ā€™4 i think a lot of women here would give there left arm to have stats like that. Ketogains may be a good fit for you. You can read there facts page here https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index
Your goal is to lose 7 pound. My goal like most people here is to maximize over all heath. I think ketogains will help you set new goals were you will still be able to work to a six pack if you choose. But with more of a focus on maximizing over all heath in the end. Now as far as foods to eat there are a lot of options but honestly i see most people at week 3 questioning if they can continue to give up Fruit. Its not what you can eat that is the problem it is what is not keto that you want to eat that holds you back. Focus on using Keto for a life style for over all health and not a quick fix to drop 7 pounds.

(Regina M.) #10

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with wanting to be slightly smaller than your natural set point as long as you understand that you are going to have to do extra work to maintain it. I do think you might think about the weight a little differently. What is your real goal? An arbitrary number? To fit in a certain size? To look a certain way? I have found that my body is denser on Keto. I am fully 2 sizes smaller than the last time I weighed this much. I think itā€™s much more helpful to focus on measurements.

I looked in my food planner so I go through a few days. I usually eat between 1500 and 2500 calories a day, but Iā€™ll find the low calorie days.

1433: Lunch - Avocado and bacon, Dinner - Keto Jambalaya (Shrimp and Andouille Sausage w/cauliflower rice), Snack - Chopped Liver on Seed Toast
1547: Lunch - Grilled Salmon with Mayonnaise, Dinner - Beef and Vegetable Stir Fry, Snack - Almonds and Chocolate Fat Bomb
1568: Dinner - Beef Burrito with Avocado, Cheese and Peppers in a Flatout Wrap, Snack - Seed Bread and Butter, Pepperoni
1559: Dinner - Whole Fathead Pizza with Sausage, Mushrooms and Peppers
1585: Dinner - Scrambled Eggs with Shrimp and Asparagus cooked in Spiced Ghee, Snack - Almonds and Chocolate Fat Bomb

(Jenny Andersson Ilgenfritz) #11

Thank you guys! I really appreciate everyoneā€™s input;) I do realize that 7 lbs may seem like a silly amount but with my small frame 7 lbs make a big difference. I am definitely looking to improve my overall health, a reduction in my migraines would be nice too:) I do believe that I may have a gluten sensitivity as well because I blow up like a pregnant lady ( actually had one of my pts ask me if I was expecting lol). I really love the way this diet makes me feel, no more bloat!

(Alison) #12

Hey Jenny, I have a daily caloric goal of 1,600, so pretty similar. The reason I had to set a caloric goal was not to keep my intake down, but rather to make sure itā€™s high enough my body realizes weā€™ve got plenty of fuel and keeps the metabolic fires stoked. After years of calorie restriction I habitually under-eat to about 800 cals a day and I canā€™t trust satiety just yet, or Iā€™d be restricting and slowing my metabolism. Once every few days to a week I go bigger on calories to 2300-2400 to rev things up. I did stall (Post Induction Stall Syndrome) after my initial water loss for 3-4 weeks, but I knew to expect that, and everyone here helped me Keep Calm Keto On)

My menu is pretty boring as Iā€™m busier than Iā€™d like to be right now, but it suits my macros goals really well. Hereā€™s what it looks like: BREAKFAST: 2 c coffee & 4 T Heavy Cream, maybe a boiled egg or two or handful of macadamia nuts if hungry (but Iā€™m usually not), magnesium supplement, multivitamin LUNCH: 10 oz bouillon/broth + 1.5t sea salt; 3-4 oz buffalo mozarella w/ fresh basil & 8 kalamata olives, doused in 2-3 T olive oil, sea salt, pepper DINNER: repeat of lunch, maybe a bit larger or filet mignon w/ side of 2-3T melted butter, asparagus or spinach SNACK: keto cocoa w/ 2T Coconut Oil, 2/3 of a square of Ghiradelli 86% chocolate, whipped, topped w/ nutmeg or cinnamon - LOTS of water all day and night. This really helps me get my fats in. Also, I make sure to have a ā€˜majorā€™ protein source (beef, poultry, pork, seafood) once every few days to hit 75g - my protein goal is 55-75g.

Typical alternates are: eggs & bacon or sausage; burger patty w/ cheese, bacon, mayo, lettuce; avocado or guacamole, shrimp or scallops in wine/butter sauce, high quality hard/aged cheese, hickory farms summer sausage, high quality fondue w/ celery or cauliflower to dip in it, taco salad or keto nachos (on cauliflower instead of chips) w/ homemade spice seasoning mix to avoid the sugar and flour in premade mixes; occasionally Iā€™ll have a shot of tequila + club soda in a salted glass with a squeeze of lime.

Fresh herbs and spices have made all the difference. I try some of these more exciting flavor profiles once in a while when thereā€™s more time:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/food/recipes-recipes-recipes

Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find some favorites & fun flavors and get it dialed in to a comfy enjoyable level! Let me know what youā€™re really liking, I might try it too! :slight_smile:

(Jenny Andersson Ilgenfritz) #13

Wow! Thank you! Lots of great info! I will definitely check out the recipies. I would love to have more variety in what I eat, seems like I eat the same stuff every day, 2 hard boiled eggs, cup of coffee with heavy cream for breakfast, some kind of meat and a salad, cheese stick and a few nuts for lunch, same for dinner excluding cheese and nuts. And a sugar free Jello for a snack. Very boring but no thinking involved lol. 800 calories is crazy, do you feel weak or tired when you go that low? I do drink a lot of water too, I see a big difference in my skin feeling more hydrated and I get less headaches too.

(Jenny Andersson Ilgenfritz) #14

Yes, why does it seem so hard to reach a goal when you are so close lol. I just want to feel good and fit into certain clothes and I do associate a retain weight with that. I probably should measure myself, I havenā€™t done that yet. Thanks for sharing your food choices with me! This will help me put together a better Keto menu:)

(Alison) #15

LOL, yup, your meal plan looks familiar, the no thinking plan! I never let myself get down to 800 anymore since I realized it was happening, but no, it doesnā€™t make me feel weak or tired at allā€¦ I just know I need to keep my intake higher to keep my metabolism fired up. I also donā€™t feel any weakness when fasting, which for me is a 3-day. Yes, I see lots of non-scale victories too, pretty much any ā€˜issuesā€™ have greatly improved or gone away! Happy cooking, let me know the good ones you find that fit into the 1500-ish cals/daily macros range!!! :slight_smile:

(Jenny Andersson Ilgenfritz) #16

Yes, I will! Thank you so much for sharing your experience:) I havenā€™t tried fasting, scares me a bit, I have a tendency to get hangry if I donā€™t eat lol

(Wenchie) #17

I donā€™t think wanting to loose 7lb is silly at all and welcome to Keto and to this Forum :heart_eyes:

What I found helpful to know is that your body will automatically make you want leas food, once you are fat adapted. I hardly ever have 1500 kcal a day and I am a fat lass.

I think if you give it some time and first let your body get used to all this new eating (which is a lot of work at the beginning) the rest will come to you and you will find yourself very comfy with less kcal a day by not needing a meal plan but just listening to your body.

Good luck on your journey :blush:

Oh and for fastingā€¦ please give it time! I tried my first fast within the first 4 weeks bcause I felt a subconsciously pressured from all the people, including my partner doing it so easily. But it takes time and your body sort of needs to settle in before it can happen. I broke my furst fast after 22 hrs feeling like an idiot. Now its a lot easier but still tough (after almost 3 months) all takes time and your body will tell you all this things. Try not to exspect too much from yourself at the beginning

(Allie) #19

Throw the scale away, buy a tape measure, and focus on how you feel above all else.
Do not restrict, eat when hungry, donā€™t eat when not.

(Marie) #20

Huh? Its called a discussion.

(Allie) #21

Donā€™t be so damn rude.