10 Things I Wish I’d Known Before Going Keto

newbies
beginning

(Mary Nell Greer Burnette) #83

Wonderful ! I heartly agree with each !

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #84

Societies whose diet was traditionally very low in carbohydrate produced extremely healthy children, who grew up to be extremely healthy adults.

The low average lifespan in such societies was the result of infectious disease, especially the “childhood” diseases. People who survived to adulthood tended to live long lives—the Plains Indian tribes, for example, used to be noted for the high percentage of them who remained active into their nineties and even their hundreds. To me, this indicates that a ketogenic diet has to be healthy for children, or else the long-term health of the adults they grew into would not have been so good.

A number of low-carbohydrate tribal societies have been documented, and on their traditional diets the chronic diseases that plague “modern” society were extremely rare. In every case where the transition to the “modern” diet has been observed, the rate of chronic disease has quickly risen to worldwide levels. For example, George Mann, in the 1960’s, documented the far better health of the Maasai who remained on their traditional diet, as compared to the health of their cousins who moved to the cities, adopted the “Western” diet, and started developing chronic disease at the same rate as the rest of us.

(Raj Seth) #85

Or keep the carbs out and let your body finds it’s own healthy equilibrium. Can’t outthink millions of years of evolution

(Jamiecheryl ) #86

Just heard about this post from the 2Keto Dudes podcast from last February, so I had to read it myself. Thanks for the great info!

(Leigh) #87

Hi can you please help me to understand how to work out my macros based on the above?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #88

Ignore the percentages. You want to keep your carbohydrate quantity under 20 g/day (80 cal/day), whether that is 3% or 30% of your total calories. You want to keep your protein somewhere in the neighborhood of 0.6-2.0 g/kg lean body mass/day—again, regardless of what percentage of your total calories that works out to be. If you then eat enough fat to satisfy your hunger, you will meet your energy need for the day, whatever that might be. The most important part is keeping the carbohydrate low, because the rest of it won’t work, if you don’t do that.

(Raj Seth) #89

That^^.

Best. Post. Ever!

(Merilyn Blake Herrod) #91

“becoming fat adapted, more acute mental clarity and sleep less disturbed and (especially) food no longer dicating life” is exactly why I am here.
I 've only been around here for 4 1/2 weeks and have become totally addicted to listening to the two keto dudes podcasts!! Now on podcast #53 - the AnniversaryShow - and staying so motivated. I have noticed some improvements in my energy and differences with sleep…even if I have losts of little wakeups during the night, I find I do finally wake up fully and don’t feel fatigued any more. I don’t get nearly as sleepy durning the day either. Can hardly wait for more of that to happen.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #92

Now, there’s an addiction that is probably not very detrimental. Much better than a sugar addiction, in any case! :bacon: :bacon:

(Robin) #93

Thank you! Some really great points here.

(Sharon) #95

I started watching his video’s, now I can’t stop watching then. He is so interesting and so educational all his video’s. Thanks for this tip.

I get mine sent from Butcher Box.Com I live alone so I get a box every other month. Runs me about 120 per box…so that is $60 per month. Delivery is free. I live in the US so don’t know if they have that in other countries. I am very satisfied with it.

(John Jaeckel) #97

As a lifelong consumptive hunter and fisherman, my experience has been that to a certain extent, animals taste like what they eat. I agree, grassfed beef, in particular, has a slightly gamey taste. Because the cows eat, well, grass—not corn, or not as much corn, depending on how the animal is “finished.”

Further, I have found grassfed cuts of beef to be much leaner than comparable corn-fed beef cuts. But I eat steak (definitely) for the flavor, so I will save a few bucks and buy a fatty, higher grade, non-grass fed beef and supplement my Omega 3 needs with wild caught salmon (I NEVER eat farmed fish) and fish oil supplements.

Finally, the one thing I have found with my keto is to constantly hack it—trial and error—see what works and what doesn’t, refine from there. And make sure I have all the right food I need at home and work.

@SlowBurnMary, your post is really useful. Although I’ve passed through the adaptation stage, I certainly had a low-electrolytes moment which was a bit frightening and could cause someone uninformed to run screaming from the keto WOE. Personally, I think the ‘drink enough water!’ admonishment was my downfall, one of many semi-myths we’ve washed our brains with! In the winter, inside, fairly sedentary and drinking [non-caffeinated] teas, I hardly needed to supplement, but did, and in the process, managed to flush out my electrolytes. High blood pressure when I’ve never had that, plus palpitations, plus one cold-extremities fainting thingie. Ick!
Meanwhile, good tip about the coconut oil before bed, which as repulsive as I have to admit it sounds, I will try in good faith. Also, completely agree about the scale (mine conveniently stopped working within the first days of me starting keto?!) but haven’t yet taken measurements (I’m 1-1/2 months in), mostly because I don’t look any more forward to that than many of us ‘plummies’ look forward to looking in the mirror naked :-). Still, if it’s part of a wonderful future moment of seeing progress, I will do so. I’ll just lock the file :-).

Wonderful post. Thank you for taking the time to write it!
While I do currently count calories, I have been struck several times that I’m actually FULL before finishing a meal I would have expected to eat easily! This was not a common experience with my previous WOE, so I buy the notion that one might be able to lose weight on keto simply heeding their feelings of satiety.
Also, heightened sense of taste for sure! I’ve even re-discovered a previously-latent family trait for plate-licking :-).
Oh, and I particularly related to “quite astounding how those foods now only stir distant and occasional memories of satisfaction”. I’d noticed, too, that I could think of (or observe my family eating) wonders like tiramisou or lasagna, and while thinking lovely thoughts about smell and taste, no salivation happens any longer, nor do I have those feelings of yearning that previously would torture me unremittingly. So very, very wonderful!
And a tiny P.S. – it’s Peter Attia, not Attica, should a reader want to pursue his stuff. He’s wildly intelligent and a truly engaging speaker (and writer!) so highly recommended!

(Dee Nice) #102

My 6 year old grandson is all over the place. Can’t focus on what he’s told to do, can’t sit still, won’t listen to direction, etc. I told my daughter to cut out fruits that have a lot of sugar, white bread, etc., and see what happens. Doc wanted to put him on Ritalin or go to behavioral health for help. At that age I am against it personally. If he doesn’t
listen to directions behavioral health won’t help either. I say Keto living is his best bet. Avoid sugars, flours, pasta, etc. She’s gonna try this first. Fingers crossed…

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #103

I have a relative (adult) that is keto (solid keto and fully fat adapted) and seems very much focused. The relative took Ritalin in High School. good luck. Hope it helps.

(traci simpson) #104

Do you ever run out of meat before the next shipment? Can you cancel when you want?

(Nasir) #105

My 6 year old son is exactly the same. I am thinking about cutting out his carbs.