Zero Carb Seasonally?

(Clara Teixeira) #1

I am an avid gardener and love my veggies when they are in season. However during our long winters here in Northern Minnesota I find I do not want veggies and lean towards a diet heavy in meats and fats (even pre-keto). I am toying with the idea of going zero carb during the winter and enjoying some fresh veggies only when in season. Is anyone else doing it this way? Disadvantages to this? What could really go wrong with this approach. I mostly crave salmon, smoked whitefish, goat, lamb and beef during the cold months. Also toying with the idea of edible insects. Sounds kind of gross but I am very curious.

I have been thinking to do the same this year, as I have never done Zero Carb and the idea is tempting me. To me sounds like a good plan to do it seasonally, like more in tune with human nature, so I don’t see why not. Maybe if I completely fall in love with Zero Carb, I will continue to eat that way during spring and summer. About edible insects, I am from the south of Spain and I grew up loving to eat snails! Obviously cooked, but there are some lovely recipes out there! I don’t know their macro nutrients content, but I suppose they are mostly protein. I have always tried them in a very spicy tomato sauce, so I don’t know how they taste by themselves. I have also tried french scargorts, but they also taste like garlic, butter and wine to me, so they are delicious that way. Similar to that are perriwinkles, that are sea snails, and also lovely with garlic and butter. But again, this is a traditional food for me, so I didn’t need to acquire the taste. Personally, I am planning to do Zero Carb without spices, just meat, salt and water, so I don’t know if I would then like the taste of snails then :wink: Anyways, snails are best in spring, after they have been eating soft green grass for a while, so I recommend you to taste them then!

(Joe Schuyler) #3

I usually stick to ZC a strong portion of the time, but when visiting the family (maybe once a month), and my mom makes her balsamic bacon Brussels sprouts, I can’t help myself. I haven’t experienced any issues with this, and I look at these as a treat, if anything.

If you’re interested in trying it, give it a shot. What’s the worst that could happen? Try it for a few weeks, track your results, and see how you feel. If you feel good, keep it going. If you don’t, go back to your usual dietary intake.

(James storie) #4

After being primarily zero carb for a few months now, I have little interest in veggies. The ones I do still like the idea of eating absolutely destroy my stomach now. That’s the only problem I see, the overload of fiber at the beginning of the season may be uncomfortable!

(Clara Teixeira) #5

I hadn’t considered snails. The ones we do have here are very tiny and difficult to find.

(Clara Teixeira) #6

Very true.

(Clara Teixeira) #7

That is a concern. What if I do not want veggies again. Could be problematic as I have some very large gardens we worked hard to build.

(Chris) #8

Would kind of defeat my purpose, toxins and allergies, baby. Gotta love it.

Maybe you could get yourself a pig that would help you to eat those veggies and voila, two birds, one stone (I’m just talking without knowing, raising pigs for meat consumption must be difficult and expensive…) :slightly_smiling_face:

(Clara Teixeira) #10

Hogs are inexpensive to raise and I enjoy eating them. I did not so much enjoy raising them. They can get quite aggressive and bite-y.

(James storie) #11

Do you have enough room for some cattle? Or lamb?

(Joe Schuyler) #12

If one would choose to go back to eating veggies, do you think would eating leafy greens as a salad/steamed/sauteed help with the transition?

(Arlene) #13

Wow, you must be raising the wrong pigs. I buy Gloucestershire Old Spot weaners every spring and raise them till they are ready to butcher, around 3 1/2 months later. Not only do they never bite me, they aren’t aggressive at all. All they want to do is sleep, eat, and wallow in their mud pond. All costs included, my meat ends up costing me around $3.50/lb. They don’t much like the garden produce, but will eat it if they are really hungry. Mostly feed them grain and my cow’s milk. In the early spring they graze on the green field grass, but that doesn’t last long, and they mostly prefer grain. The cow’s milk is their favorite. They have a large pasture to run around in, but it still stinks after a while. I guess that’s just part of raising pigs and other animals too.

(James storie) #14

I don’t know, I went back to a more traditional ketogenic diet for a week last month just to see what it would be like. This included salad greens, broccoli, and cauliflower. All vegetables I ate regularly at one time. I was uncomfortable that week and a few days into the next (gas included). I think it would have to be a gradual transition. You have to give the gut bacteria a chance to prepare. Don’t forget that without their presence, eating fiber at all makes no sense. I personally feel much better as a carnivore. This doesn’t mean that I won’t occasionally have something from the greener side, but as a whole, I’m much more comfortable with ZC

(Clara Teixeira) #15

We currently raise goats, sheep, have a mid sized rabbitry, and a large flock of chickens. Our acreage would not be able to sustain cattle unfortunately. Although wish it could!

(Clara Teixeira) #16

The one hog was very friendly and much like a dog. The other literally tried to eat my foot if I stepped in the pen. They ate well from garden scraps and browsed the wooded areas we rotated them through. Very good red meat. We just decided it was not for us.

(Joe Schuyler) #17

I’m entirely in the same boat with you in regards to the carnivore’s WOE, as well as the gradual transition. I was only hinting that to help with that gradual transition, the lightest of veggies (leafy greens) alone would be the best option, initially.

(Clara Teixeira) #18

Interestingly enough, the longer I eat keto the more I find I only want iceberg lettuce and well cooked summer squash. Things like broccoli and kale irritate my digestive system terribly. Mushrooms do not bother me either. But not sure if those can truly be considered a “plant.”

(Bacon, Not Stirred) #19

Hey! How far north? I’m in Duluth! Anyway, totally with you there. I’m unawares as to the side effects of this (if any), but thought I’d chime in with a “Hey, @ClaraJTeixeira!!”

(Clara Teixeira) #20

I am 3 hrs west of you in good ol’ Brrrmidji. Love the north shore! It is a personal goal of mine to thru-hike the SHT.