Zero Carb Journal

(jilliangordona) #1

Started yesterday! I am going for just two weeks, hoping to reset sugar cravings and my dairy addiction, as well as break a plateau. I am going to post updates here, if no one comments that’s cool… just wanting to have a place to post and reflect with some feedback.

I am having meat, eggs, and butter. Last night I had chicken wings. This morning for lunch I made some bacon, and then a bacon burger with an egg on top.

It’s crazy how bad I want both heavy cream and a sweet keto treat… BAAAAD. but I am going to keep drinking my water and make dinner once I am hungry.

Crazy how fast the changes can happen!

(Doug) #2

Jillian, sounds good. :slight_smile: And - an egg on top of a burger = lifelong love.

(jilliangordona) #3

Ain’t that the truth. My current love is bacon Brussels with an egg in top… but that will have to wait haha.

(Siobhan) #4

I am also attempting zero carb, started yesterday :slight_smile:

I am going to attempt 4 weeks in this first spurt, although I am allowing limited dairy. Looking forward to hearing about how you do!

(jilliangordona) #5

What dairy are you allowing? After the first week I may do so as well

(Siobhan) #6

Butter, cheese under 2oz, and some hwc.

(Linda Culbreth) #7

You go for it! and grab a piece or two of :bacon:while you’re at it!

(Chris) #8

Right on, good for you. I’ve been very low carb for a while and fasting often. But, wow. This is where it’s at. More. Meat. Please!

(jilliangordona) #9

Thanks for the kind words y’all! I had a filet mignon for dinner with a big pat of butter. I’m very full but not feeling satisfied… weird. Hopefully day 3 will continue smoothly!

(What The Fast?!) #10

Get yourself some La Croix. Lime or grapefruit flavor are my favorite. No sweetener, but it seems to help with the craving for something sweet until you’re over it. (I’m 2 weeks into ZC myself with no sweeteners.)

Edited to add: also, bacon.

(jilliangordona) #11

I have some in the fridge, great tip!

(Carpe salata!) #12

Full but not satisfied is something I had when starting keto. I figured it was my body expecting the post-eating sugar hit that never arrived. Later I realized I was getting through the day without ravenous hunger. Hunger wasn’t the harbinger of a sugar crash any more. That was a high in itself.

(jilliangordona) #13

Day 3: woke up completely exhausted, but I think I may also be fighting off a cold or infection of some sort, as I’ve ben feeling under the weather.

Bacon and black coffee for breakfast :+1:t3: I normally don’t eat until 1pm or so, but I woke up feeling hungry.

(jilliangordona) #14

I always felt satisfied whenn I started keto… but they may have been because I am an expert at making keto treats haha

Just a hypothesis here, maybe your feeling of not being satisfied has to do with your leptin level or sensitivity.

(jilliangordona) #16

Could this has popped up just from zero carb? I handled keto pretty well and could easily fast and eat small portions then.

(jilliangordona) #17

Will be getting blood work done today at the doctor to test a whole host of things. I’ve been dealing with green phlegm for a few days so the tiredness may be just that. Can leptin resistance be tested for?

When I first started ZC I had the same feeling. I would easy a big meal and then look around for something to “finish” the meal, but couldn’t really put my finger on what it was I wanted. I recognized that it wasn’t actual hunger so I found it easy to ignore. Anyway, I believe I have read before that carbohydrates affect leptin which is the hormone that tells you when you’ve had enough to eat. Maybe I’m way off base with my hypothesis but it could be worth looking into.

(What The Fast?!) #19

Me too. @MelTAr is totally on point.

@jilliangordona It gets better. :slight_smile: Walk away from the kitchen. 20 minutes later you’ll realize you’re not actually hungry anymore. Drink some water, have a La Croix. ZC has really taught me about real hunger, even more so than keto. I think it’s the complete lack of sweet flavors. I’ve been sweetener free now for 2 weeks - before, I would need something naturally sweet - like a half glass of unsweetened almond milk or a bite of coconut butter to feel like the meal was “finished.” Or, I would have something with an artificial sweetener in it. Now, it’s just meat…it takes awhile to break through that need for something sweet. Right now, I’m drinking tea or La Croix, but I’m hoping that it goes away completely over time.

(jilliangordona) #20

Thanks for the insight! I am sipping on some La Croix now. Found out today I have an infection which has been causing my exhaustion. Hoping this reduced inflammation from ZC will help heal it quickly!

I ate a little roast beef with butter for lunch and am resting for a bit. The La Croix is helping with the cravings, although I am still wanting to grab a Zevia out of the fridge.