Zero Carb Cheeses

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1

Yes, you can google ‘zero carb cheese’ and if you’re looking for something new and exciting do so. In addition, however, I thought a Topic devoted to zero carb cheeses would be a worthwhile addition to the forum food section. So, here it is. To get it started I’ve posted three entries here to give you an idea of the sort of info I think is worthwhile including. I would rather see links to offsite descriptions and/or reviews than long winded explanations here. So please link!

Note: for all who wish to post here, please post only zero carb cheeses. If it seems worthwhile, we can always create other topics for low carb and/or very low carb cheeses. Please post a link to the USDA database entry for the specific cheese for reference if there is one. If there is no entry for the specific cheese in the USDA database, please link to another government database. If you can not find any government database use either a third party or the producer’s label information, but please indicate which.

Grana Padano

Available.

Many people think that the massive wheels of Grana Padano, the semi-aged hard Italian cheese, are maybe a cheaper knock-off of better known Parmigiana-Reggiano, says Lou DiPalo, part of the fourth generation to run DiPalo’s Fine Foods in Little Italy. In fact, he says, Grana is a great cheese in its own right, and well-known in Italy. Grano Padano is a subtler and less nutty and salty than Parmigiano, says DiPalo, with a more delicate flavor that he prefers on risotto or when you don’t want to overpower a dish.

Source

USDA

Oka Original

Available.

Fat Secret Data
Nutritionix Data

Boursin

Available.

For anyone who does not know about Boursin cheeses, these are a very mild soft cheese. Very creamy, like a soft flavoured cream cheese with a good fat/protein ratio of 4:1. Most varieties contain 1-2 grams of carbs per 30 grams (2 tbsp). However, Bouquet of Basil & Chive contains ZERO carbs, so you can eat the whole box (150 grams). :crazy_face:

Note: Boursin is basically a combination of cream cheese and butter. So theoretically you can make your own with whatever mix of herbs and/or spices you want. If you find a zero carb cream cheese anywhere in the world - please post it here!

Note: Boursin company nutrition data is included in the above link.
Fat Secret Data, which may simply be a dupe of Boursin’s data.

Is this keto?
(Vic) #2

Bouquet of Basil & Chive

Picking that up this weekend, Thank you

Looks like got to be carfull they do have a basil & Chives that is 1 carb but the Bouquet of Basil & Chive as you said is 0

(Bunny) #3

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

@atomicspacebunny
Thanks for reminding us about Cracker Barrel. The entire line of block cheeses are zero carb, with the exception of Havarti and the several cheddars made from 2% milk. These are readily available pretty much anywhere you can buy food. I think a lot of folks think you have to shop exotic cheese stores to find zero carb cheeses. Even Walmart has Cracker Barrel cheeses at reasonable prices.

(Vic) #5

Its not 0 though, They don’t have to list it if it is under 1 carb to some degree, I do believe cheddar is .4 from previous research,

I do a lot of Cheddar Mozz, Baby Swiss, Brie Provolone, They all list as 0 and they all have some % of carbs

Brie is the lowest at .1 everything Else is .4 or above I found from research online

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

McLaren's Imperial Cheddar

Available.

Kraft
Fat Secret
Nutritionix

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #7

Yes, good point. FDA/USDA allow rounding. I just hit the USDA database again for generic cheddar and brie. Brie is listed at .45 per 100 grams and cheddar 3.57 per 100. So at the serving size of 30 grams both round down to 0, although brie is quite a bit closer to 0 than cheddar. With all cheeses, though, the longer it’s aged the longer the various bacteria and enzymes digest the lactose. Generally speaking I think it’s primarily the hard cheeses that are aged the longest and reduce the lactose the most (like Grana Padano and Parmigiana-Reggiano for instance). As I noted above, the USDA lists both Grana Padano and Parmigiana-Reggiano as 0 carbs.

('Jackie P') #8

Gosh I had forgotten about Boursin! If you melt it into double cream and add a little ACV, mustard and/or whatever herbs/spices you like, it makes a fabulous sauce for chicken :yum:.

I mostly eat slightly aged Gouda from ALDI (but it seems normal Gouda from anywhere is similar regarding carbs. I’ve just found a Gouda test on a Hungarian site… I almost never check these things and I am faithful to my chosen Gouda :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:). 0g carbs in 100g in the package. It would be pretty annoying to me if they would list carbs for a tiny portion and they would even round it. It’s different in Hungary, there are cheeses with 0.2g carbs in 100g according to the package.
Lactose intolerance is a bigger things now so the shops often advertise their lactose free cheeses.

(Pete A) #10

I’m mad for this cheese… so crumbly. I’m also a regular blue cheese guy.

(Bob M) #11

Don’t forget vitamin k2 (this article confuses k1 and k2; k2 is considered protective to the arteries and has no clotting properties):

In cheeses, the total vitamin K content varied by type, with soft cheese having the highest concentration, followed by blue cheese, semi-soft cheese, and hard cheese. All of the cheeses contained MK9, MK10 and MK11, and modest amounts of PK, MK4, MK7, MK8 and MK12. Little MK5, MK6 or MK13 was measured in the majority of cheeses.

I’ve seen other studies where raw milk cheeses generally have higher K2 than pasteurized.

Note too that you need FAT to get K2. Zero fat = zero K2. Yet another thing you don’t get if you eat zero fat.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #12

Balderson Royal Canadian (2 year)

Available.

Nutrionix
Fat Secret

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #13

Castello Tickler Extra Mature Cheddar

Available.

02%20PM

My Fitness Pal
Fat Secret
Slim Kicker