Is this keto?

(Ivy) #1

Is vital wheat gluten keto?

There’s always dirty keto.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: eat food that is based and/or originates from fats and proteins - not carbohydrates. Not grains.

38%20PM

(Ivy) #3

I saw a post on this forum about vital wheat gluten–very very long and detailed, My thought exactly. This forum is really not the best resource for beginners.

(Ivy) #4

Not sure why there was a big post about it then. How about fat free yogurt thats 5g sugar, in tiny amts? Im about to give the rest of my food to my mom from SAD, so I need to know.

(Doug) #5

I’m hard-pressed to think of any other forums that would be better for beginners. No matter who a person is, if they have a smart phone, or computer, tablet, etc., and internet access, then the “very low carbohydrate” thing is clear, as is the fact that wheat gluten (:smile:) isn’t going to be that.

Googling ‘wheat gluten’ shows that a substantial portion of it is cabohydrate. ‘Beginner’ questions are totally fine here - they come up a lot. :slightly_smiling_face: There is the ‘Search’ function, and almost always personal replies as well.

(Ivy) #6

There wasn’t a question about it–the post just was all about vital wheat gluten, and noting this is a forum about keto, that is not clear color to me.

(Ivy) #7

You didnt answer my question – Sorry this was about yogurt on a different thread.

(Doug) #8

It’s got too many carbohydrates in it. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #9

Folks have opinions about everything, often based on their own experiences. Or not. Sometimes someone reads something somewhere and draws the erroneous conclusion that it must be true/valid. Unless otherwise indicated by a link or ref, you can assume that whatever someone says is their opinion. Which may or may not be useful to you or anyone else. There are folks here, for example, who claim they can eat 100 grams of carbs per day and remain in ketosis - because exercise.

I see the biggest benefit of this forum being the discussions that arise over disagreements about various aspects of nutrition. If getting conflicting opinions confuses you, then I can see it would be an issue to some extent. Realize, however, that ‘the science™’ expresses lots of ambiguity as well. There are scientists producing studies that demonstrate that keto is nonsense or downright dangerous and others that keto is the healthiest way to eat. You have to evaluate - look at the evidence, look at how studies were done, how conclusions were arrived at.

If you’re looking for a definitive manual that gives you all the answers one after another without ambiguity, you’re searching for a :unicorn:

(Ivy) #10

5g too much?

(Ivy) #11

Sorry that was about yogurt on a diff thread

(Ivy) #12

Google Scholar produces nothing of the sort :frowning:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #13

??? nothing of what sort? What are you talking about?

(Doug) #14

If you google (or just do an internet search) on “carb content of wheat gluten,” it shows 14 out of 100 grams are carbohydrates. So that’s pretty darn high as far as ketogenic eating.

If a person ate 5 ounces or a hair over 140 grams of wheat gluten in a day, they’d be right at the “20 grams per day” limit which most of us use as a rule of thumb for true ‘low carb’ eating, and which is a frequent measuring point on this forum.

It’s not “the end of the world” for most of us - even those of us who really, really need to keep our carbs extemely low - who are interested in a keto diet, but one is burning through whatever carb ‘allowance’ they have for a day, if they eat wheat gluten.

It is to me. Basically everything is keto (more like I can eat it on keto if I want) to me as long as I keep my carbs low… But gluten is quite low-carb so I would totally use it in bigger amounts in a pinch (as I tested it and my body is very fine with it. and anyway, in a pinch I eat that or much carbs and the latter is something my body isn’t that okay with)… Gluten satiates me wonderfully, amino acid complex doesn’t bother me as I normally eat eggs and meat, it’s really just for a pinch… It’s my plan B (plan C is legumes and then things get worse. I basically never even need plan B so C is very hypothetical).

Different people call different thing “keto”. It’s only low enough carbs for me, the woe where I get into and stay in ketosis.
Many of us have other rules as we are health-conscious but we don’t fully agree on what “healthy” is and it’s no wonder, healthy is actually not the same for every body. As far as I know, gluten isn’t healthy for most people. I seem to be okay with it but it’s still safer and better to depend on other items. So I quite rarely eat gluten especially in big amounts but it’s nice to know I can. I have a few bags of gluten at home, it wouldn’t last long if I started to eat it… 160g is a cute amount for a lunch for me (this much would bring me over 20g but it’s perfectly fine for me on mere keto. and if I have no meat, I don’t even try to stay very low, I would fail anyway. if I have meat, I probably don’t eat gluten because it makes little sense).

Yogurt is very carby for me, it doesn’t even satiate me or anything so I wouldn’t eat it - but it’s okay in the proper amounts. It just isn’t worth it to me, never was a yogurt person. It may be okay for you, who knows? If I had some and no one around me to eat it, even I would eat it, it’s not bad for me at all - but wouldn’t buy more.

(Ivy) #16

I would be consuming a Tablespoon of it

(Sherry) #17

Hey Ivy! The ONLY kind of yogurt I eat on occasion is the brand Two Good. It come pre-portined has many flavor choices. Has 2 grams of sugar and 3 carbs. Depending on your personal carb limit. My car limit is 10 carbs a day. So, Two Good yogurt!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #18

Regarding dairy, most dairy contains some carbs from lactose. This is very different from a dairy product that contains ‘added sugar’. Added Sugar or just Sugar in the list of ingredients is sucrose (glucose and fructose). My recommendation is not to eat any dairy with added sugar. Ghee and some cheeses contain very little or no lactose and can be zero or close to zero carb. For a discussion of very lo/no carb cheeses:

If you like yoghurt, consider this:

(Tammy) #19

Walmart has Two Good and Kroger’s has Carbmaster yogurt. If they fit in my day for under 20 total grams, I’ll have them.

(Allie) #20

Many use it and are OK with it, but not for me.