ZC Plan-Meat & Water only

(Liz ) #61

Wishing you well from over here because I can relate & I hope you get relief from your unwanted behaviors. I do the “say it out loud” thing too and am always surprised how much it helps. Just takes a sentence and it’s like a spell is broken then I can make a choice rather than be swept along by the tide.

(Jodi) #62

Thanks for the support Liz! :blush:

Mornings are still tough for me, I miss the days I woke up feeling good. Lllooonnngggg time ago lol. Anyway, I’m still taking caffeine pills here and there, but none after noon. I feel like I really only need one 100mg dose in the morning now, so I’m gonna try that today. I’m mostly taking them to avoid a nasty headache, I’m just waiting for the tiredness to go away as my body adapts to carnivore.

Appetite is gone right now, but I know I need to eat more than I did yesterday. So easy to slip into intermittent fasting accidentally on this WOE. Torn because I know the fasting can be healthy when it’s not forced, but also know eating would probably help my energy levels. I am still making sure I take in electrolytes, doing ok there.

Also, I’ve had some stomach issues this week, which is unusual for me on this WOE, and it’s made me feel like not eating. I don’t really know if my body is having trouble with the fat for some reason (this has been something I’ve been dealing with for awhile at various times) or something else. I have tried taking digestive enzymes if my meal it bigger/fattier and it does seem to help. I’m talking mostly fatty steaks, or roasts. I seem to feel best with cooked hamburger, cooked all the way or barely pink. As someone who ate meat pretty rare,this is an adjustment but I’m just going with it for now. When my stomach feels like that, I am just taking it as a sign to stop eating until it feels better. I’m not forcing any eating.

Going for a physical on Monday, hoping the will test my A1C and vitD levels. One side of my family is full of diabetes (and cancer), and I just want to know where I stand right now. I very recently had a cousin my age unexpectedly die from health issues (other side of family) and it’s really reinforced things for me.

(Jodi) #63

Yesterday was HARD. I made it through but I was super tired and out of sorts. I didn’t have any supplementary caffeine after my morning dose. Not sure but think it was a mix of that and not eating enough the two days before. So, I ate yesterday, the most I’ve eaten since starting back on carnivore. I feel ok right now, but I think I’m going to continue trying to eat decent amounts instead of when I feel like it. This means, I’m cooking some meat every meal time and at least trying to eat some…I have a feeling once it’s in front of me I will have no problem with appetite. As time goes on hopefully those appetite signals will normalize. I believe not snacking or bingeing anymore will also help with this.

I’m not fat adapted yet and because of that I don’t want to jump into fasting. I’m still dealing with low energy levels and any type of fasting seems to make it worse.
I want to lose weight for vanity reasons, but that is secondary to feeling better and improving my overall health.

I’m loosely tracking my eating, not because I care all that much myself right now, but more to look back. I have noticed no matter the amounts this last week, I’m at an average 65% fat to 35% protein ratio. I don’t really know if it matters or anything, but i found it interesting.

(Jodi) #64

Sunday was much better than Saturday. I think increasing my eating was the thing I needed to do.
Made some clarified butter just to add to meats here and there. I’m not eating dairy, but I’m okay with a little clarified butter occasionally since it’s really just fat. I don’t eat much lean meat but it’s nice for when I do. I fried some fish yesterday and drizzled it on top, it was really good. :blush:

No real noticeable differences yet except less grogginess in the morning when I wake up. Our sleep is jacked up here so you never know really exactly why you might be tired, but even if I feel like I got enough sleep, I’ve been groggy in the morning for months continually so I think I can call this part of the carnivore transition. :crossed_fingers:t2::blush:

(Jodi) #65

Still here. No caffeine today either, so that is gone for good. Still a bit more tired than I’d like, took a nap today and felt pretty good after that.

Got my tests from my physical, everything looks good so far, just waiting on thyroid. Cholesterol & A1C are all good/normal. My vitD was okay too.

(Jodi) #66

Still just eating meat/drinking water. Slowly feeling less tired overall over the last week. Started antibiotics today, so hoping that all is fine. I don’t normally take probiotics but I have several types on hand I will alternate the next week. My digestive system still seems to be struggling to adjust to carnivory which I am kind of surprised about. Hopefully this straightens out over the next few days.

I have a family event at a restaurant on Sunday so hopefully that won’t be the struggle I’m anticipating. I’m pretty firm in my head…it’s the other people that worry me. Not all are my family, but we all know each other. They’re all nice people though so :crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2:.

(Jodi) #67

Sunday was fine eating out. The first place was just a diner for breakfast so pretty simple, bacon and eggs. I don’t typically eat eggs anymore but I decided to try them (blah), and everyone is used to me not getting any breads so no biggie. They know I’ve quit coffee for awhile at least, so that wasn’t an issue.

The second place was a Mexican restaurant with a larger group of people. The offered steaks & burgers too, so I just ordered a steak and salad (I was not the only one lol). I did eat a few bites of salad which was just iceberg lettuce, chopped tomatoes and onion. Holy cow, I swear I could still taste that one chunk of onion I ate 24hrs later. Bleh.

Was not tempted at all by the sweets at either place, but the melty cheese looked delish lol. And have had no cravings or trouble caused by the small bit of salad I had. No trouble going right back to ZC.

Some people might not be comfortable with me “hiding” my food choice but it’s just a lot less stressful for me. There has been lots of drama raised in my family about food before (much of it relating to me), and everyone is actually ok with keto now, and that’s what they think I’m doing, just that I’m being very strict with variety for awhile. :wink: it’s just not worth the battle for me. Of course my hubs & kids know and don’t care, as long as I’m healthy and happy.

I finally feel like I’m sleeping well and not tired all day long.

(Chris) #68

Going strong, Jodi. Keep it up!

(Jodi) #69

The last two days have been hard. I think partly because I have my period, partly because I’ve had some emotional stresses that make me want to crawl into a family size bag of Ruffles.

I haven’t.

I just keep eating my meat and drinking my water. I am still eating 3 times a day, although breakfast is only a few slices of bacon. Yesterday I was really productive, today…not as much. I’m also a bit more tired because I’ve been up super early the last two days.

I do feel better than I would’ve a month ago, so that’s progress. I’ll get through this and be happy I stuck to my plan. :blush:

(Joe Schuyler) #70

Don’t give in to those Ruffles. Stay the course and nosh on some of that bacon.

Keep it up!

(Jodi) #71

Officially been over 3 weeks since I re-started this. Everything is going well, I’m getting bored so I think I need to go stock up on some meats. I’m also considering adding some cheese in and seeing if I have any type of reaction to it. I’ll probably wait a bit before I decide that, I’d like to have 30 days of this first.

For some reason I was EXHAUSTED Saturday. I’m not sure if it was a stress reaction or what but I slept over 12 hrs. It wasn’t continuous sleep because I have a kid & critters, but I did get 2 decent naps in. Lol I don’t nap often but when I do, it’s usually 2 hrs at least each one. By the afternoon I was feeling much more rested, but I still just took it easy.

I have generally been noticing better overall moods and longer energy…not high energy, just a nice level amount. Getting much more done around the house. More patience and “just do it” attitude.

(Genevieve Biggs) #72

More meat is a good solution to exhaustion. :slight_smile: I know that I am less exhausted when I have enough meat, but very exhausted if I don’t.

ZC 14 months

(Jodi) #73

I think you are right about that, :blush: I’ve been sticking to 3 meals for now for that very reason. I also have to be sure to eat mostly beef because if I don’t, I seem to tire more easily. I used to be able to eat more at a meal, so I kind of naturally went to 2 meals/day, but I am not able to eat as much at a sitting for now, so I do 3. No snacking.

(Jodi) #74

I stopped doing this on Saturday. The idea of eating more meat (even as I’m trying to eat it) was just making me lose any appetite. I’d been struggling with it all week already, and I was just done. So, I stuck with keto foods over the weekend and have transitioned to a strict keto plan. I can honestly say, I missed veggies…something I never thought I would say a few years ago lol. I love carnivore, but apparently I’m just not in the best place to continue. I love the control it gave me and I will continue to use that going forward. Continuing a lot of the guidelines I’ve adapted, no snacking, no caffeine coffee (occasional decaf), keeping water as my primary beverage. NO BINGEING!

This was a wonderful tool to help me start to deal with my food issues, which I will continue to work on. I really believe it’s a great way of eating and I’m sure I will try it again sometime but I’m out for now.

Thanks for the support everyone!

(Chris) #75

Just personal experience, but I seem to get this about every day, it seems to be my lean satiety signal. I get so far and then suddenly realize I haven’t eaten in 5 minutes and I’ve no desire to continue. Then on the flipside if I’d had too much fat, there’s a slight twinge of nausea instead, where if I eat another bite I’ll feel like vomiting.

(Jodi) #76

Thanks @Dread1840, I appreciate your experience. Mine was happening even at the beginnings of meals, which was really hard to know what to do about. I felt like I’d rather fast, but I was worried about getting tired because I wasn’t eating. And the ZC mantra is always “eat more meat” lol. Maybe it was a sign I was becoming fat adapted and could fast? I don’t know really, and just didn’t want to hit another wall of exhaustion.

(Chris) #77

It’s all about the journey. You definitely made it longer than the last time. :slight_smile:

(Genevieve Biggs) #78

I’m sorry you didn’t feel like you couldn’t continue. :frowning: If you grow tired of meat, you simply need to eat something else. Eat some fish, seafood, chicken, whatever to keep you on track. Something to keep in mind for next time. :slight_smile: It is completely normal to grow tired of food. It is an adaptation phase.

ZC 15 months

(Jodi) #79

Just thought I’d add a quick update here. I’ve been eating mostly ZC since about the middlish of April. I’m not sure, because I didn’t one day do a massive change. I just know it was a few days after my birthday I decided to quit the crap I was feeding myself… :blush:

What I can say is I just focused on meat and began dropping everything else from my diet, focusing one day at a time, including dairy (but half-caff coffee is back to stay). I say mostly because I still have the occasional iced coffee with almond milk, or PB keto cookie. For sure not daily things, but if I choose to have them, I have one and move on. It’s been working way better for me than making a big “all or nothing” change. Someday I’m sure I will realize I’ve been only eating meat for a long time lol, but I don’t need to keep a day count. I also haven’t told anyone except my hubs (justify that steak allowance in the budget​:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), the people that matter just know I’m eating stricter and absolutely support me in that. They don’t question me turning down foods now, even if they are Keto. Luckily I had kind of set that up beforehand. :joy:

I feel great. I’m eating a varied amount of meat, but avg 2 lbs/day. I don’t intentionally fast, but I don’t force meat either. Everyday is different so far. I notice less and less interest in any food other than meat. I haven’t weighed myself, just because I hold very little value in that as a true measurement, but I notice my clothes fitting better and my body feels stronger. I’ve seen other improvements also, and looking forward to even more in the future.

Thanks to everyone that has offered helpful advice in this thread and the ZC category!

(Not a cow) #80

Hi Jodi, thanks a lot for sharing this awesome thread of yours as I have found it to be very informative for someone who has just started ZC. I have been into it 8 days now and am really enjoying the experience. I still drink my 2 to 3 coffee’s black, but have managed to go OMAD since day 1, I think, due to the full meat treatment at feeding time, ;). I’m loving carnivore as much as I loved Keto, so hard for me to decide which is best but wonderful to have two choices when both make you full great, as well as feel great :wink:

“emotional stresses that make me want to crawl into a family size bag of Ruffles”. haha, hilarious !

If the Ruffle’s bag opportunity occurred for me, it would then be off my bucket list !
Thanks for being so honest !