Yummy....my new potato and onion substitute

food

(Deb) #1

Hope the pics pop up. I’m no pro at this computer stuff.

So potatoes and onions. Yum. This is daikon radish and leeks. Fried/Sautéed in avacado oil. I suggest frying up the leeks first. I cut one large leek(white/ light green part only) into thin strips…learned this at @Carl and @Richard’ s Mini Ketofest here in Connecticut. :yum:

Remove the leeks and set aside and DON’T taste them… you won’t be able to stop and you’ll have to cook more! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Cut your daikon radish in cubes or however you usually cut a potato and fry/sautée in the same pan and some salt and/ or pepper to taste. Let them brown nicely and fork them for doness to your liking. Add back the leeks and serve alongside whatever you are eating…eggs for breakfast, steak, poultry, ham, bacon… you get the idea.

The leeks taste so good, kind of like those canned fried onions that have carbs and junk in them. The radish loses it’s peppery bite and the texture can be how you like…soft for me but not falling apart. It’s not a potato because it’s not a potato but I think it makes a better substitute than cauliflower. Seems to take on the flavor of what you season or pair it with. Last week I tried the daikon mashed. The taste was great but it was a little soupy. I added some glucomannon
( Konjac Root Powder) but I’m still playing with the consistency.

Enjoy!!

Jicama and celeriac next!

(Candy Lind) #2

I like roasted red radishes and was kind of hoping daikon would sub well, as well, since one of the vendors at my Farmer’s Market sells daikon at a very reasonable price. I’m going to have to try the leeks, for sure.

Hi Deb! That looks Sooooo good! Where do you find daikon?

(Deb) #4

ShopRite here east of the river :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Asian markets are likely to have it. It sells fast here. We have a significant Asian population. I watched a video …Highfalutin’ Low Carb on YouTube recently and the guy made “hash browns “ using regular red radishes. I’m going to try that soon. He said the same…that they lose that peppery bite. Definitely easier to find. :blush:

(Deb) #5

I’m going to try the red radishes, much easier to find than the daikon for me. I’m so disappointed when they don’t have it.

(Trish) #6

I want to try jicama but every store I go to and ask if they have it I just get stupid looks. I mean, dude, you’re the manager if the produce department, you really should have a clue WTH jicama is. Sigh. Seriously, I had to explain it at every single store.

(Deb) #7

I hear you. I have the same issue with the daikon. The world will eventually have to acquiesce and we will still be around when it does…because we are Ketonians!

(Candy Lind) #8

I understand it’s a lot harder to get cooked jicama to the “right” consistency - read up on it beforehand.

(Deb) #9

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

(Candy Lind) #10

HEAVENLY when roasted in bacon nectar at 400F til tender. :heart_eyes:

(Deb) #11

:joy: I love that you call it bacon “nectar”. Haven’t heard that before. :joy:

(Candy Lind) #12

I have no idea where it originated, but it’s definitely a common colloquialism in the Ketonian dialect. :smiling_imp:

(KCKO, KCFO) #13

I love leeks, I would do that with leeks and caulfiflower broken into small flowerettes.

Sorry you are having trouble finding it. I’ve tried cooking it before, but wasn’t that impressed. Here in the SW it’s quite common. I really like it raw.

I did buy a nice piece of daikon today. They looked totally fresh. I got one that looked nice and young and smooth. But I have no idea if that is a good thing or not.

(Jean Taylor) #15

I like raw jicama too I’ve never even tried cooking it…

(Steve) #16

Does google have the wrong information? It’s suggesting that leeks are higher in carbs than onions.

Daikons were listed as pretty high in sugar too. Although one radish is 338g as opposed to the numbers for 100g for leeks and onions. Source was google

Amount Per 1 radish (7" long) (338 g)
Calories 61
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.3 g 0%
Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.2 g
Monounsaturated fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 71 mg 2%
Potassium 767 mg 21%
Total Carbohydrate 14 g 4%
Dietary fiber 5 g 20%
Sugar 8 g
Protein 2 g 4%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 124%
Calcium 9% Iron 7%
Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 10%
Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 13%

Of the onions I looked up a few months ago, green onions/scallions had the least carbs. Especially the green leafy part. I was going to use those and not leeks. Those are in the garden, the leeks are at the store. :slight_smile:

(Steve) #19

That’s not that high though - if you pull the nutrition for 100g of the Daikon Radish, it’s only 2.5g Net Carbs.

Red radishes are even lower at 1.8g.

Potatoes are 14.8g.

I just did a quick experiment with daikon. I fried up some half-moon sliced pieces in bacon grease. 85 grams worth (2+g carb), and no onion. Can’t say it was potato like, but it was less radishy tasting than raw. Good texture and it lightly browned nicely. I think daikon could be quite successful in a stir-fry.

I think jicama might be a better choice for faux taters.

Of all the things I’ve given up, potatoes are very high on the list of ‘that hurts’.

edit… about 10 minutes later - I don’t like the after-taste that is lingering…