Yuck on the Keto Choc. Chip Cookies using Brown Swerve

(Denise) #1

could be the semi-sweet choc chips added to the non-flavor. They’re made with Erythritol. Anyway, I’ll show you the video of them and I recommend not wasting your time or money:

(Bob M) #2

What are the reasons they are yuck?

Cookies are tough, because both the fat and the sugar are important to the texture. Alton Brown does a whole show based on this.

(Denise) #3

the texture is great with the Almond Flour but I’m sure the chips (semi sweet) made a lot of the yuck diff. Then the Swerve Brown Sugar I didn’t care for. I’m betting I could find some things that would do better, and I’ll take a look at Alton Brown’s info. Is he on Youtube or what? :wink: Thanks much Bob!

My Almond Flour bread/cake loaf with cinnamon is delicious, so I don’t blame the A. Flour for the lack of taste in this recipe. I think it’s the Br. sugar sub.

(Allie) #4

I think it was Keto Connect choc cookies I made once, a few years ago, that were really nice… so nice I never made them again, as I ate them all in one go :rofl:

(Edith) #5

I gave up on keto desserts years ago. I never liked any of the alternative sweeteners. Which I guess is good, because if I could make keto cookies taste as good as regular cookies, I would most likely do what @Shortstuff did and just eat them all. :laughing:

(Allie) #6

That’s why I’ve given up making them. They can’t still be keto when eaten to excess…

(Denise) #7

LOL @Shortstuff ! Priceless, and my exact fear as well :slight_smile: I think it’s as easy to form a bad habit with goodies made with fake this or that, or at least some low carb option, as it is to get hooked on sugars. The sugar/high carb industry depends on it as they are making more and more products that say low-sugar/low carb/keto friendly, when it’s not low enough for us :wink:

(Denise) #8

Metoo @VirginiaEdie :wink: I do believe that BIG carbs/sugar industry are trying and sadly succeeding at fooling a lot of folks that are not “in the know” :frowning:

(Denise) #9

I should add here that the fat-bombs I make have not been habit forming for me (knock on wood) because I am lazy about making them :grin: so, lazy can also be a good thing :smile:

(Bob M) #10

He had a television show for years. This looks like it’s part of the show:

Pre-low carb, I made a lot of his recipes. (He has good meat recipes, too, but as with all TV chefs, they concentrate on carbs.)

(Denise) #11

I’ve been thinking more about how to just lower the carbs without adding “fake” ingredients that no one knows anything about because of lack of studies :wink:

I’ll take a look at Alton, thanks much @ctviggen

(Denise) #12

shoot, those would shoot my BG over the top and my MD would have a heart attack about me not taking his Meformin for m T2! Alton looks like a blast to watch though, is he still around @ctviggen?

What I was thinking to do is make up my own recipes just using less carbs, with no fake sugars etc. Just less ingredients. No idea if that could work, but I could also add different ingredients, although forget about chocolate chips with no sweetner at all. I can just forget about chocolate if I give up my stevia :wink:

(Allie) #13

I suspect these will be like the Keto Connect cookies I made and swore never again…

(Denise) #14

I think I will probably just continue “thinking” is it worth the work?? and say no to even trying recipes, although, that pie-crust looks really good, LOL!! I like my occasional snacks of nuts, or my fave fat-bombs. They get me out of feeling I’m missing out on something :slight_smile:

I can’t make normal (crunchy) cookies either… It’s one of my antitalents.

But I do bake a lot. it’s very easy to lower the carb content - especially if it’s not a bread type things as they require very much starches. I lower the carb content of those too but cookies don’t need flour at all so they are easier. Mine just stay soft…

Eating too much isn’t such a big concern if it’s high-protein and very low-carb. I tend to eat a ton of carby baked goods as they never satiate me. See my experiences with 500g bread with a ton of butter and honey. Nothing was done to my hunger… If I had it to begin with. But if I am after a big carni meal, satiated, I still can eat the stuff, nothing stops me.
It’s super weird and I overeat without carbs just fine, thank you very much, don’t need any additional “help” so I don’t like eating too carby things (but I like eating certain carby things so it’s hard to be me :upside_down_face: ).

We don’t have a thing for chocolate chip cookie here so I can’t miss them :smiley: I just want some crunchy biscuits with nice spices sometimes (some are better with a partial chocolate coat, though). But I can’t make them and I am lazy to experiment with them so I just get some other desserts. Keto desserts are great and many of them are easy and have good macros and satiating level…
It isn’t even mandatory to make them very sweet…

Indeed, in multiple ways. My only beloved fat bomb had 2 ingredients and I love making food so my laziness didn’t keep me from making it, I had to use restraint (it made my overeating so much worse that it wasn’t hard, fortunately).
But carnivore made me even more lazy and my biscuit dreams stay dreams. I very rarely experiment with them. Carnivore biscuits are tough. I can make good ones but they aren’t crunchy. But sometimes a bit crispy…

Unsweetened chocolate is fine for me. Unsweetened cookies with chocolate sounds lacking, though. Like unsalted meat. Edible but I feel the urge to fix it.

(Bob M) #16

He had a great show, but no longer does these. I used to watch it with my (at the time, quite young) daughter, and she called it “The Bee Show”, because it had a bee at the end of it.

This is a great recipe (no, you do not eat the flour, it’s just there for the salt):

I’ve made the above with gluten-free flour too. And the flour is so salty, it’s impossible to eat. And it’s super hard anyway.

Another great recipe:

(Denise) #17

Wow, I’ve had that bisquit dream too! It was Giant, like those balloons in Thanksgiving Parades and it was chasing me :joy:

Better than many of my dreams!

Interestingly, my food dreams are only the daydreaming type. It’s very strange with my food addiction and passion and everything but I don’t really dream about food. My food dreams are extremely rare. Not like I remember many dreams to begin with but still, the vast majority has no food in it at all. While I think about food unhealthily much… Sometimes I have the rare carb dreams during times when I honestly don’t want carbs at all… I talked to my brain a few times but it refuses to give me proper, enjoyable, artistic and helpful dreams. Or really fun ones. It’s MY brain, why can’t it help me out? But I rarely get nightmares unlike some people so it could be much worse.