Your obsolete wardrobe

(Ronald Weaver) #1

I’m constantly reading about keto peoples’ despair about their clothes not fitting them any more and the expense of replacing wardrobes full of clothes.
I think a lot of people are forgetting some of the other benefits of keto eating, namely mental acuity and recovered concentration and dexterity.
So, don’t ditch your clothes, recycle them by re-tailoring them. A second hand sewing machine will be much less expensive than new clothes. And let’s face it, you’ll have loads of time to master a new skill because you’re not wasting time constantly cooking and eating.

The Parsimonious Pensioner.

(Ethan) #2

Luckily, i saved my clothes from the last time I lost weight. I don’t have anywhere near the time to even think about sewing anything!

(Richard Hanson) #3

I gifted a lot of clothing to charity, much of it in great shape and I applaude your clarion call to reperpose old clothing.

I already have a great many hobbies to learn about, riding motorcycles, ham radio (W5JF) , rocketry, wine making … OK drinking, … the list never ends. I am trying to convince Mrs. Hanson that I “need” an RD80 Cash Still to measure volatile acidity and an ebulliometer and I have been told never to talk about di-phenolic cascades again, not ever. That was after I gave her a wine molecule necklace, 3,5,4′-trihydroxy-trans-stilbene, for our 20th aniversery. No worries, I also gave her a nice diamond ring.

Respectfully, I will not be taking up tailoring.

Keto for Life!

Best Regards,
Richard

(Vicki Stroud) #4

I saved all my pants and good shirts from when I was skinny, so, I am all set with clothes down to a size six (like I would ever throw out a pair of Harley Jeans or any of my Harley T’s?) But, I have many pairs of jeans of various sizes I plan to go through during my weight loss journey, and if there is anyone that is going to need some jeans that are still close to new, I will post on here if they are willing to pay shipping, I will send them for free.

I have tried to learn to sew and am a major failure, possibly because it holds no interest for me? My spare time will actually be spent hiking, I live right on the border of NH, and there are so many awesome places to hike in the White Mountains area, and they are closer to me than many of the hiking places in Maine are.

(Duncan Kerridge) #5

My wife made herself some new dresses from some of my old t-shirts, most of the stuff ended up with the charity shop however.

(Darlene Horsley) #6

Sewing machines hate me. They fight with me and I don’t have the patience to fight back. I don’t know why that is but it just is. For some reason I have the same problem with tape! However, I have no problem paying someone to alter my clothing.:blush:

(Vicki Stroud) #7

LOL I hear you!

(Sophie) #8

I’ve been a hobby seamstress for decades and love custom fitted clothing, but some things are best left commercially sewn, like jeans. And Nothing feels better than a new, smaller size pair of jeans! Some alterations are easier than others by far. The problem I am finding in my closet whenI think about altering, is that going from a size 24 to a 14, necklines, sleeves, armholes and breadth of shoulders is dramatically different and not worth the time involved. If a garment has to be totally recreated, I’d rather just make something new or just purchase off the rack for the transition period.

(Ronald Weaver) #9

Well that sounds fair enough.
But correct me if I’m wrong, are “Jeans” denim trousers for working gentlemen ? If that’s so I don’t possess a pair.
The reason I re-engineer my clothing is because I’m a miser, and I just can’t face going back to Saville Row.

Regards.

(Sophie) #10

I believe they began that way with Levi’s, but now most of the population live in them. :smile: :wink:

I wear it for painting and gardening

(Ronald Weaver) #12

Oh dear ! So that’s what they are. Not very elegant, are they ?
Do they have something to do with those round skull caps with a visor that children wear, frequently backwards, nowadays.
And when did brightly coloured orthopaedic footwear become obligatory ?

Regards.

(Sophie) #13

I dunno about that… they’re pretty hot if you’re skinny enough!

Not sure about that one either… I don’t notice head gear very much! lol

I don’t think this is mandatory but it should make you smile and feel like dancing! :smile: And just try to find a plain, white t-shirt these days! :roll_eyes:

(Vicki Stroud) #14

I agree when I am at my goal and even close, nice pair of Jeans, tall boots, and a white tee. Perfect

Completely agree.

The big problem I have with 20W clothing is it is not built for me anymore. It is just too big in the shoulders and everywhere else. The other thing is I never liked the plus size clothing. Unless you buy very high quality, it is simply not styled the same as regular clothing so I have no desire to keep it even though I still have to buy smaller versions and am into regular clothing for shirts and jackets but not yet for pants or skirts

(Mike W.) #16

I donated all my old clothes and bought new because I don’t want to remember that old life. I want to embrace my svelte, sexy self with new clothes that make me feel good.

(Vicki Stroud) #17

LOL That is AWESOME

(Sophie) #18

Amen Brutha!

Charity shops, people. They are the way to go when you are still losing weight and also you can get incredible bargains whilst giving money to good causes. Don’t know why this is an issue. Recycling at its best :smiley:

(Keto Travels) #20

Seconding the charity shops and second hand shops. I donate what is still good and shop there for the next round. The only thing I tend to buy new are black work pants because it is rare to find any that fit me as a Short round person. But that problem should be getting less now over time too. And Because it is quite cheap to shop there, I already have a line-up of some really nice inspirational clothes that I am shrinking my way into. :slight_smile: It is fun to just get stuff that you find really pretty and go: you will fit me in spring!