You had a try at Keto, it didn’t work for you. What now? You have to eat (eventually)

First I went back to the previous diet. But keto “worked”, I just missed my vegetables. It was a pretty nice low-carb diet without processed stuff and almost no lactose, grains and legumes. I felt right there. So I had it easy.

When I went low-carb, there was no way back at all, just forward.

Now that I do carnivore, I still can (and will) go back to keto but it can’t be the same as before, I changed too much.
I always do this, keep something I like (even if it’s a negative keeping so I keep avoiding things), change things that may need it, add things I missed or find useful… And we will see. I jump back too if it amuses me (or can’t resist). I just come back, usually very soon and don’t go way too far for long.

I don’t worry, I do what I can and my body handles the things it must. It’s not probable that someone will force me to eat high-carb or low-fat (or worst of all, both at the same time), ever, for longer that I can handle well enough.
I always have options.

(Bob M) #26

I have tried resistant starch, including heating and cooling rice and potatoes, and probiotics. No benefit, only detriments.

Tried Dr. Davis’s probiotic yogurt. Could find no benefit. He says it curbed appetite. I often ate multiple servings (made in about 6 ounce cups, could easily eat two).

Tried Paleo, but I find a lot of this just causes blood sugar excursions, like sweet potatoes. Also, a lot of plants, like sweet potatoes as an example, treat me badly. Same with zucchini.

Was on a very low fat, very high carb diet for years. Caused depression, mood swings, major bowel troubles. Rice cakes, anyone? Non-fat “cheese”? Wouldn’t go back to that if you paid me.

Normal wheat causes me issues, like asthma, allergies.

I don’t believe that “Mediterranean diet” has any real definition. Also, I don’t think olive oil is good for you (or at least the few RCTs there are say it isn’t). I don’t mind olive oil, but if you’re trying to lose weight, it’s too high MUFAs and PUFAs. I also think nuts and avocados are too high in PUFAs, and nuts always cause me to overeat – always – and I don’t like avocados. Will have the occasional guacamole, though. What else can I eat?

I don’t mind fish, but I don’t think we need to eat it.

For now, I’ll continue to experiment with keto/low carb. I also like fasting 1+ days and eating fewer meals per day. Even when I started eating low carb, I was eating too many meals per day. I like not eating, as much as I like eating. I’m currently experimenting with a diet that’s as low in PUFA as I can get and as high in saturated fat as I can get. I plan on doing carnivore, no dairy, high fat carnivore, this year.

(Heather Meyer) #27

Wise move Bear…wise move :slight_smile:

(Heather Meyer) #28

I have actually been hearing this is becoming more and more popular. This or the Wheat Belly diet seems to have gained traction in recent years.

(John Linnon) #29

I’m the same way. This low carb diet has helped me lose 35 lbs, from the initial intro gaps diet, and has all but eliminated my symptoms of UTI and pre-leaky gut over the past 18 months. Why go back to the junk foods that I was eating my whole life, and caused the problems? I recently got into thinking sugar-free tapioca pudding was ok because tapioca isn’t a grain. But then I found out that it’s still high in carbs and not too good for you. The black tapioca pearls even have cancer-causing PCBs. I was using the white tapioca, though. Still, I cut that out.

(John Linnon) #30

I was doing the resistant starches for awhile, and recently I read that they weren’t so hot. Isn’t it nuts how you keep seeing differing studies? So I’m just going to go with sprouted grains, sourdough bread, tapioca and coconut flours, (but moderate). For my starches.

• Avoid processed industrial seed oils

Decide between nourishment and therapy
Eat real foods
Eat enough
Eat when hungry
Stop when not

—-

Toying with ideas. Heard Dr, Cywes talk from the view that sugar is a pharmaceutical not a food. Processed seed oils and heavily processed seeds could be considered non-foods due to the processing to make them edible. Just because something is edible doesn’t mean it is food. Dr Cywes has a core message that snacking is an emotional event.

(John Linnon) #32

I think sugar is a poison, actually. It’s probably killed more people than any other toxin, I think. And I wanted to mention that my sister was cured of her lifelong mental illness, primarily by a new diet which excluded her food allergies, with the help of a naturopath I found for her. As well as the herbal hormones prescribed for her to address her post menopause, adrenal, and thyroid issues. It shouldn’t have taken me so many years to figure out that mental illness, like physical illness, are the same, really. And the best cures for both are natural. Happy 2020!

Depends on how bad the person is truly. Are they are newbie and give up instantly with loads of old diet baggage being dragged around and still won’t commit to changing themselves with any real effort.

Get the keto flu and say OMG I am dying, this plan is gonna kill me?

Depends on their time on any plan and did they see any results and did they give it any real time to work?

Way too many factors…but most just go back to crappy eating LOL

For me I played in the ‘low carb’ arena for a darn long time with jumping in and out of carnivore.

For me it wasn’t I felt sick…for me I was pizzed off I had to give up so many darn favorite foods I wanted to eat. I had a mental battle of deprivation and more happening for me so ‘no damn diet’ was gonna suit me at that point cause I thought the whole ‘damn diet’ for health was just a unfair cosmic f u from the universe to me :slight_smile:

I saw people thin and vibrant and my age and then I saw fatter sluggy tired me, same person eating the same darn crap as me. How is that fair? HAHA

So I had a mental battle. I tried it all and would punish myself with fasts if I ate bad one day…which would backfire instantly…til one day I said pick some darn plan and hold it. Hold the heck out of it no matter what the heck else I do in life…I picked carnivore cause I could eat a ton and feel full and then I cruised thru so much better in the crap dieting game of life.

Is that the sort post you were looking for? I think people are in so many different head spaces when they start looking for changes for a ton of reasons with their health and more. Personal journey into crazy and then maybe into wellness if you hold plan long enough for real results. I am not that rare unicorn that started a low carb plan and thrived from day 1 and wonder why the heck ya’ll can’t do it! I am one who floundered around for years finding what suited me personally and a plan I could get behind and live with long term.

(John Linnon) #35

Who’s to say for sure? You CAN get your proteins from vegetables and fruits, instead of scarfing down meats and fats. But I do a little of everything. One strip of turkey bacon, and one egg per day for dairy, and Swiss cheese. I’m not so sure the Keto diet is a good plan, but it may be going in the right direction. This article is from www harvard.edu, entitled: Ketogenic diet. Is the ultimate low carb diet good for you?
‘A ketogenic diet could be an interesting alternative to treat certain conditions, and may accelerate weight loss. But it is hard to follow and it can be heavy on red meat and other fatty, processed, and salty foods that are notoriously unhealthy. We also do not know much about its long-term effects, probably because it’s so hard to stick with that people can’t eat this way for a long time. It is also important to remember that “yo-yo diets” that lead to rapid weight loss fluctuation are associated with increased mortality. Instead of engaging in the next popular diet that would last only a few weeks to months (for most people that includes a ketogenic diet), try to embrace change that is sustainable over the long term. A balanced, unprocessed diet, rich in very colorful fruits and vegetables, lean meats, fish, whole grains, nuts, seeds, olive oil, and lots of water seems to have the best evidence for a long, healthier, vibrant life’.
Personally, lately I haven’t been charting my calories, or grams of fats, proteins, and carbs. But I’ve been eating a diet pretty close to what this article suggests, except that the whole-grains I eat are sprouted or soaked grains to reduce lectins, I hope. Also sourdough bread. I have coconut and tapioca flours in my diet. And I eat soaked and boiled legumes. No sugar or processed veggie oils. The percentage of carbs I eat are higher than the Keto diet. And the percentage of fats and proteins are lower. Yet, since the intro gaps diet 18 months ago, and my initial weight loss of 35 lbs in a few months, I’ve kept the weight off, and without resorting to a strict Keto diet. Also, my health issues have dwindled down to almost nothing over the last 18 months.

Your post was directed at me and I kinda don’t know why a little, in that, you start with Who’s to say for sure? Were you asking something about what I wrote in my post? I feel lost with it being directed toward me and it seems like you were directing it just at the original poster’s thread question? Oh well, who knows HAHA I can answer a bit :slight_smile:

agreed. but they will never be equal to that of meat. they are a sub par protein for the body. One doesn’t have to scarf down a ton of meat at all to get adequate protein either. Hey some of just eat a good bit of it cause it tastes so good and the body requires good protein.

works for some absolutely. works for all, nope and the ‘seems’ to be the best evidence…bring on the science on that one please cause a lot of us here won’t be in that ballpark of a moderation menu, higher carbs and lower fat won’t cut it.

oh boy you are on the wrong forum then if you are behind this type of thinking from articles about keto, LOL…in that the keto plan community here are many long term and are not unhealthy at all. People can and do eat this way for life and flourish. This type of article making it sound bad just like old atkins info…atkins was all about the meat and how it was gonna kill ya and now keto has the same wrap in info you posted saying it is heavy on red meat (ohh boo gonna kill ya) and (boo, fatty, processed, salty foods)? ohh not the keto done here on this forum that I see from others. Processed? No. Article you quoted is useless to keto people flourishing here on the forum.

I am happy you found the plan that works for you now. You walked thru different plans as you explored and found an end game menu that you can live with and suits you very well. That truly is all one can hope for when we want change to fit our lifestyle.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #37

That’s great advice F, I went to the butcher for the first time today and got three porter house steaks, some bacon and a T bone steak. You know what it cost me? $26. That is SO cheap. I almost fell over. And he was SO friendly. I told him I would be back very soon. I must say that dinner tonight (I went the Porter house)was the yummiest, most filling and satisfying meal I’ve had in my three weeks on keto. I switched to just Meat and some animal products three days ago and apart from the med withdrawles I am feeling a lot better already. Plus meat to is more enjoyable than fruits and veggies for me. Also, since cutting out the plants. My tops have started to slip right down my shoulder and are getting a little too big. I don’t as you said scarfe down tonnes of meat, I don’t need to. The body tells me when it’s had enough. :blush::cut_of_meat::cut_of_meat::cut_of_meat:

Yes and that is key…listening to the body but many can’t and won’t do it cause they ‘experience’ some bad effects from adaption and focus on just that and won’t really see the big picture of healing happening.
Not saying all ever in that statement, but those that thrive find the good of what changes are bringing and put hope into the future of how good they are doing thru the other situations like withdrawls and such.

Great attitude and faith in your plan changes B!!! You are rocking it and I have to say for a newbie coming into this way of change you are just so positive and the best darn attitude! All works for you and never against you and you are a pleasure to chat with :slight_smile:

And a fab deal from that butcher. Good prices on what you got! I always say make that butcher man your friend!

Great post

(Keto Koala 🐨) #39

[quote=“Fangs, post:38, topic:96862, full:true”]

Yes and that is key…listening to the body but many can’t and won’t do it cause they ‘experience’ some bad effects from adaption and focus on just that and won’t really see the big picture of healing happening.
Not saying all ever in that statement, but those that thrive find the good of what changes are bringing and put hope into the future of how good they are doing thru the other situations like withdrawls and such.

Great attitude and faith in your plan changes B!!! You are rocking it and I have to say for a newbie coming into this way of change you are just so positive and the best darn attitude! All works for you and never against you and you are a pleasure to chat with :slight_smile:

And a fab deal from that butcher. Good prices on what you got! I always say make that butcher man your friend!

The butcher idea was actually all thanks to you F. You were giving me some cool solid advice on meat in a thread a few weeks ago. I asked you whats better, Supermarket meat or Butcher and you said Butcher and to make him my friend. So thanks, and I plan to. He’s a lovely upbeat guy. I walked into the shop and all the meaty smells hit me and it was f##king devine. Partner came in with me and I kept asking her “I’ll buy you some lovely steak, or anything, what do you want?”. She didn’t want anything, like seriously we were in meat heaven and she wasn’t gonna let me buy her a free bloody T bone :flushed::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:. Awww your a pleasure to talk to as well. I try to be upbeat, why not.:smiley:. I have my moments but positively spreads good vibes and good vibes are cool on a keto Forum. I told partner today, that I’m done with crap for life. I said I choose my body over pizza and chips and junk. It’s way more important. She said “really for life”!! She was shocked. But I must say, (apart from the med thing) this is the best I’ve felt mentally in years. My anxiety is starting to lessen and I’m sure as time goes on, I will reach whole new levels of better. Your upbeat too and your personality rocks :smiley:xx. P.s How’s Mom in Law? Hope she’s doing a bit better? Still in hospital? Xxx Oh P.S if anybody else is reading this post, Supermarket meat is fine too. I’ve been getting it every day for weeks and still felt the positive changes. It’s just a personal choice ya know.

lets jump over to Fangs accountability and chat…we are the types to take over threads, let move it over HAHA talk there :slight_smile:

(Bunny) #42

Was looking at your post and that makes me think about other cultures and who has the the longest living humans ever recorded in human history per capita and the most athletic and they are the fastest runners in the world and nobody can beat them as well as the lowest rate of any disease like cancer, diabetes etc. In the world.

The main staple of there diet contains:

Beans (mostly)

Sweet Potatoes (mostly)

Corn (mostly)

Very little eggs, fish, meat and fat.

Very starchy vegetables?

Those people are the Okinawan’s and most of them live to be 100 or more?

And they don’t eat that much of it and they do not eat as often. Kind of like what we would call time restricted eating or fasting.

That’s crazy?

Calorie density is seemingly more important than anything?

Meaning they aren’t eating any processed foods along with it.

Maybe it’s also because they don’t eat refined grains? (a factor?)

In reality how much of a Idaho potato could you eat and be satisfied before you reach for that sweet roll?

If the Okinawan’s and related people’s have been eating like this for thousands of years that would certainly out-do any double cross-blind placebo or cross validated empirical study any scientists could ever create?

(John Linnon) #43

Sorry, I’m not very adept at new age mediums. I couldn’t find a way to comment on this site without posting a reply. So I’ve been picking random comments, I guess, to get my comments across. I don’t think you can just discard whole food groups, like grains, that have many nutrients and fibers we need. I need grains to help my digestion, so I researched, and that’s how I found out about lectins. It’s how grains are prepared, not about how many grams. Although, it’s still better to be moderate. With saturated fats, also. Have you all considered clogged arteries and cholesterol?

(John Linnon) #44

It’s probably because old cultures have found ways to reduce lectins in grains, and legumes. And avoid bad saturated fats that clog arteries.

(Bunny) #45

That’s something else that’s interesting never thought about it from that lectin angle.

I’m wondering if it could also be that they might not eat until they feel full, I hear that is traditional way of eating or how wide spread that practice is?

Something the Japanese practice but it had to originate from somewhere?

(John Linnon) #46

Do you mean they might not eat until they feel hungry?