You ever go on a bender for a certain kind of meat?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1

When I started carnivore, it was all about beef. Beef, beef, beef. Didn’t want anything else, didn’t think about anything else. Tried to eat other stuff but I was just going through the motions. I wanted cow now.

Today, it’s all about ham. Beefs tastes blah all of a sudden while ham digests better, I can eat more of it, and muscle cramping has gone down while I’m on the Ham Plan. (It ain’t the salt; I salted my beef plenty.) The shift from moo to oink happened almost overnight, not sure why, 'specially since ham has a less complete nutrition profile.

I’m kinda curious to see what flavor the Wheel of Carnivore lands on next.

Yeah, I was all beef all the time, then I added a bit of pork a couple of times a week - and then I suddenly swerved to no beef, primarily pork.

Primarily pork didn’t last super long - maybe 1-2 months at most? I was a little confused because of the less complete nutrition profile that you mention, and then boom, overnight I was completely over pork and didn’t want it.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #3

Good to know, good to know.

I’ve just remembered something that might be useful - for me, although I didn’t mind the pork meat, it was the crackling and the fat beneath it that I was really going for.

At first I thought it was just wanting a change, but I was having a bit of an issue getting steaks with sufficient fat on them. I wonder now if it was that I wasn’t getting enough fat with the beef that I was eating. I’ve moved to 80/20 minced (ground) beef and feel much better.

One thing I read with a raised eyebrow on here was about PUFAs in meat - I was very much of the opinion that meat was meat and it was all fine, but once I started paying attention, I noticed that lamb and beef always generated ‘solid at room temperature’ fat. The pork fat never hardened at room temperature, and the PUFA discussions here rang in my ears.

So that was one of the reasons I investigated going back to beef, albeit with a different fat ratio.

I don’t want the pork now, but I did enjoy it at the time! Hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as I did.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #5

Thanks for the info, that’s interesting.

I utilized a technique of cooking beef wherein I could add fat trimmings back at each meal to keep the fat ratio high. I always selected top sirloin cuts that had thick caps on them so I was never without. As a matter of fact, I still have some chunks of that in the freezer, it goes really well with canned salmon (which tends to be dry as heck.)

At the moment, the ratio on a spiral-sliced bone-in ham is workin’.

Does bacon count? I could eat bacon on just about anything and I never seem to get tired of it.

Ah, the curse of me buying online!

Great to hear it’s working for you; interested to know how you go on.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #8

(Robin) #9

I keep the fat cap leftovers from brisket, to use with, well, everything.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #10

You are my people.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

One of the reasons I enjoy a good pork picnic (shoulder joint) is the fat cap that comes with it. The roast is self-basting, and you have yummy cracklings to eat with your meals. The butcher service that most of the supermarkets around here use has started trimming all the fat off the beef, but for some reason, they haven’t started on the pork, yet.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #12

Some places will just give you that trimmed fat for free if you ask them, others charge a mere pittance. I used to call in, find out what days they cut and package their meat shipments, and then show up the next day for “suet” for the birdfeeder. They’re less likely to charge you if they think it’s for the animals.

You could make yer own cracklin’s. And send me some. (drool)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

There was one supermarket that still did that, up till recently, but they appear to have begun using the same butcher service that their competitor across the road uses. So no more fat, alas!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #14

Dangit. Are there any rancher/farmers in the area that sell their cows/pigs directly to the public? Ask if you can have all the fat they trim during processing. Worth a shot.

(Butter Withaspoon) #15

Lamb. Still on it. Lamb for 2 meals a day on average. I make myself eat some eggs and fish, but lamb :sheep: is my happy place. Lamb Chops, or broth made from the bones and fat.
I try beef occasionally and sometimes it’s delicious, especially if someone else cooks it, but I don’t seem able to transfer my affections

(Robert) #16

The ham in the photo isn’t food in my eyes you may as well go eat cotton candy. It is not good for you.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #17

Ham is spectacular carnivore fare if you’re smart enough to leave the glaze off.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

In fact, The Joy of Cooking makes mention of soaking hams before cooking, to get rid of most of the salt, and I imagine that would also get rid of most of the glaze.

(Bob M) #19

Though none of the hams I buy come with glaze on them. There’s usually a packet to be used for the glaze, but I toss that.

I still like lean beef. And ham. Bacon, I don’t eat, as I eat too much of it. Not a huge fan of pork fat, as it’s nasty in my opinion (other than bacon). I do like Fire in a Bottle’s pork fat, but it’s hard to buy in any quantity.

Next week, my lunches will be top round and beef heart. This week, I’m eating pork butt + stuff, including beans. Probably won’t do that again, as it’s causing me to have acid reflux, which I never have. Darn beans. Oh well, live and learn.

Two weeks ago, my lunches were spiral sliced ham and beef heart. Prior to that, they were beef heart and shrimp. (The local farm actually has beef heart, so I’ve been getting some.)

I may make beef liver for lunch, two weeks from now. Hard to eat much liver, though, so I’ll have to pair it with something else.

Different lunches every week.

For dinner, it depends what I or my wife makes. Last night was salmon and left-over chorizo-stuffed peppers wrapped in bacon (Super Bowl fare). Not sure what tonight will be.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #20

I’ve never seen a pre-glazed ham, only ones that came with an added glaze packet. The dang things are heavy and fill up my kitchen trash bucket fast, totally ruining my goals of only needing to roll the garbage bin out to the curb once a month (another NSV of carnivore).

The soaking idea is interesting, though, might look into that.