Yogurt Pro's: Question on using Raw Milk

I used to make William Davis’ L-Rueteri yogurt a lot (good stuff) , back on raw dairy these days, with that being the case, you think you still need to feed it with something (or as much) given that it hasn’t been killed with pasteurization and the lactase is still in there? Or is that a separate thing? I used to use Inulin or potato starch for that.

(Vic) #2

As far as I understand, lactase is common and usefull protein to help digest milk lactose. Not a bad thing if you’re not lactose intolerant.

Yogurt is basically fermenting milk with bacteria. The bacterial colonies turn the sugars in the milk into lactic acid. I assume that this is better dan sugar (lactose)

Yogurt is similar to cheese in a way that it is fermented milk where the sugar is turned into something better.

No need to add more or proccesing more than the basics. Eat it as basic as you can, jm2c.

Don’t feed it to you’rr dog or cat thou, they do not have the scavenger like acciditie like we have in their stomachs. They cant kill the bacterium like we do.

Just my thoughts, for fun :wink:

(Bob M) #3

I made the l-reuteri yogurt for quite a while…couldn’t find a benefit. So I stopped. (Will have to add this to my list of my n=1 studies.)

Supposedly, it’s harder to make yogurt with raw milk. You might just want to search:

https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/yogurt/raw-milk-yogurt/

(Jane) #4

I looked this up since we feed yogurt to our chickens every day as a bribe to get them back into their coop in the evenings so we can lock them up for safety (they will go in on their own after dark but the door wouldn’t be latched)

Our dog Ella gets to lick the spoon and she loves it and has been doing this every day for 16 months. She looks forward to it as she knows she will get to rip and run in the meadow and play frisbee while we collect eggs and secure them in their coop for the night.

Apparently it is ok in small amounts, which is what Ella gets off the spoon. The AKC article just said dogs have trouble digesting lactose.

(Vic) #5

Shure, don’t think that is a problem. I use to accidentally on purpose spill a few drops of milk for my cat.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Lactose intolerance—i.e., the inability to make lactase after childhood—is the human default, but there are two fairly widespread mutations that allow human beings to eat dairy products into adulthood. The first occurred among the Maasai of Africa, the second occurred among Northern Europeans. If you have either of these ethnicities in your ancestry, you are likely to have inherited one of these mutations and to be lactose-tolerant.

However, many people also have sensitivities to one or another of the proteins in milk, quite apart from whether they can handle lactose or not. This is why many lactose-tolerant people end up having to do without dairy, despite being able to handle the lactose.

This is true of all adult mammals, except in the case of those with certain specific mutations, such as the human ones I mention in the two preceding paragraphs.

(Bob M) #7

Though I wonder why some say they have problems with cream (even in their coffee), as cream has such little protein in it.

I listened to a podcast with a dairy farmer. She couldn’t drink or eat any of her own products until she got all her cows to be A2 only cows (A2 being a type of protein). Then she was OK.

I wonder if this is more prevalent than we know? Unfortunately, unless you know where the (cow) dairy came from, you have no idea whether the cow is only A2.

(Bob M) #8

One way to test this is to use sheep’s or goat’s milk cheese. These are (primarily) A2 proteins. If you get no reaction, you may have trouble with A1 proteins.

I am lactose intolerant, I deal with Raw dairy just fine though, it’s actually pretty common for lactose intolerant people to do OK with raw dairy.

Figures, thanks. I’m on it!