Yogurt dip

(Laurie) #1

I want to share this because it’s so good. The local store had a couple of seasoning mixes on sale, and I bought one of each, because why not?

I had made some yogurt cheese (it’s easy; recipes abound on the Internet). I threw in some of each mix. Yummy. The third time I made it, I added some ascorbic acid. Even better! Here are the proportions:

• 1 cup “yogurt cheese” (yogurt with excess moisture drained out; use high-fat yogurt, ~10% fat)
  • 1 teaspoon garlic & herb seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon Frank’s Buffalo Ranch seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon ascorbic acid powder

(Jane) #2

Thanks for this!

I never heard of yogurt cheese but sounds like something right up my alley LOL.

I always have 2-3 quarts of Bulgarian yogurt in the fridge that I make for my hens. I strain it for about 20 minutes to thicken it up. Sounds like I just need to strain it for 2 days in the fridge with some salt. The salt helps express the whey - at least it does when I make feta.

(Laurie) #3

Some yogurt brands seem to be more watery than others (even with the same fat content). Also, the water drains faster or slower according to what filter you use; in my experience, thin fabric drains faster than a coffee filter. So it could take one day, or two days.

(Jane) #4

I strain the yogurt I make and it seems to vary a lot even when I strain it the same amount of time. I just stir it and strain until it looks about right.

Interesting to keep straining until soft cream cheese consistency. I really enjoyed the batch I made - both in the pepper poppers and spread thinly on my “pizza” crust.