Yoghurt

For some reason, I feel like yoghurt today. I have one in the fridge - it is greek full fat and unsweetened. But in cronometer it says that just about any kind of plain yoghurt has a whopping 4-5 carbs in it! Why is that? I am not going to eat it, if it ruins my daily intake by taking out such a huge chunk of my allowed carbs. I would then rather eat my veg, I am thinking that I seem to be one of those people who only loses weight if my carbs are under 20g.

(Allie) #2

The carbs listed will be the lactose in the milk before fermentation and the fermentation process uses most of them.

('Jackie P') #3

Just as Allie says. I avoided yogurt for ages until I realised. Now I halve the carb count, as long as it is a good live yogurt. I like yeo valley in particular.
In any case, I feel better when I eat yogurt.:yum:

AHA!!! Why do they make life so hard for usā€¦going to get myself a yoghurt
Thx guys- youā€™re the best.

(Jill F.) #5

I eat it every once in a while for breakfast 4 or 5 carbs isnt going to have same effect from yogurt as a donut! Enjoy!

(Rebecca šŸŒø Frankenfluffy) #6

Gosh, this really surprises me! Donā€™t they have to do analyses of stuff before labelling? :scream:

I make my own yoghurt, and need 1.5u insulin per portion (for me, that is - not as an ingredient! :rofl:). I find straining it has less impact on my blood glucose, though (yoghurt, plastic sieve, kitchen towel, small basin = homemade Greek-ā€˜ishā€™ yoghurt).

Iā€™m a fermenting fan, and have wanted to try making kombucha. However, I have no way of analysing how much of the sugar gets eaten through fermentation, and I donā€™t want to end up with unintended diabetic consequences! :rocket:
#accidentalrocketfuel

(Allie) #7

Have you tried Bulgarian? Itā€™s lower carb than Greek and tastes amazing. You can get a culture from Freshly Fermented for about Ā£8 - itā€™s what I made for a long time, added extra double cream :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Shortstuff
Never seen ā€œbulgarianā€ yoghurt on any shelf here and wont make my own. I donā€™t think they sell it here but have also never looked for any cultures. Just greek and the regular kind ready made. Low fat. I dont want low fat anymore. They even have greek with or with sugar so that is a bonus. Now that I know I can subtract half of the carbs, I am not going to make a big deal out of it.

(JJ) #9

Mind blown.
I love yogurt and my digestive system does also. I have rarely had it since going keto in late 2018 as couldnā€™t justify the 4-6g carbs per 100g.
Alli, my gut and I thank you.

(Rebecca šŸŒø Frankenfluffy) #10

Oooh, thatā€™s interesting - thanks! I think Iā€™ll stick to making my own though with my own starter, and strain off the whey to lessen its impact.

The food-labelling issue really bothers me!

(Stephen Judd) #11

Hereā€™s an interesting review of yogurts with good info on how itā€™s made and the difference between styles