Xeno Estrogens, Plastics and Body Care Products and More

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1

I’ve recently been working on raising my testosterone levels as best that I can. Hormonal imbalance is affected by other things than the SAD and insulin responses and satiety signals. Testosterone / Estrogen imbalance is epidemic in the modern world and it’s affecting obesity and fertility in both men and women. Estrogen compounds are used in just about everything that’s manufactured with fragrance, parabens, phenols and many other industrial compounds. The petroleum industry produces tons of byproducts that are used in plastics that are estrogenic compounds, BPA being the one we all know. But they are like designer drugs, tweak an element of the molecular structure and BPA became what is currently used BPE. Not yet enough data on damages to human physiology yet so until they do long term studies it’s safe to be exposed…until it isn’t, :face_with_raised_eyebrow:.

This is an interview by Dr. Ken Berry of Dr. Anthony Jay PHD, a research doctor who wrote a book called “Estrogenetics” which I am very interested in reading after this interview. The damages we are incurring are being passed to future generations through these industrial compounds (epigenetics).

:cowboy_hat_face:

Need a new way of making coffee... percolator, maybe?

My husband had problems urinating last year and his doctor sent him for a prostate check-up, he thought it might be prostate hyperplasia. I did some research on prostate hyperplasia and how to increase his testosterone…he has a little man-boob, as well (he should lose a bit more weight and I’m in constant struggle with myself between trying to tell him what do do/eat and letting him be an adult who can make his own decisions -rememeber, women, crazy :wink: ). I’m slowly switching to glass food containers, but it’s very difficult to eliminate plastics, convenience being the first and most important factor.
I picked which battles I can win - we don’t eat seeds (chia, flax, etc), we don’t eat soy and any products containing soy, we’re switching to glass alternatives and make the better choice selecting products, when I can.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

@Meerkatsandy Personally I’m looking at sousvide and whether that’s really worth undermining my raising testosterone goals for perfect meat. I do know that I will be using it less. I think we need to consider stuff like laundry detergent fragrances as well, many of these compounds absorb through the skin. Many skin care products and sunscreens chemicals bond with lipid compounds in the skin. This is the “silky” skin effect from cheap lotions and body scrubs. :cowboy_hat_face:

Plastic is “can’t live with it, can’t live without it.” :slight_smile:
I try to keep it as “body-friendly” as possible, but I won’t compromise on deodorant, I don’t want to smell bad. :slight_smile: My friend is moving towards replacing scents in fabric softeners and other household item with EO.
Edit: i just remembered, she uses coconut oil as her carrier oil and adds EOs for skin-care products, she says it coconut oil is a great moisturizer and skin-softner.
I tried switching cleaning supplies with “natural” alternatives but I can’t get the same effect and I don’t have time to wait for baking soda-and-vinegar concoction to do its magic.
Maybe sous-vide isn’t so bad, since you’re not really using high temperatures? I do replace my teflon pans once a year, but then I open the issue of my garbage-footprint…:joy: :woman_facepalming: We can’t win this war :joy:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

You’re right, we can’t win. But we can try to expose ourselves less the same way we cut carbs. Especially important for testosterone levels in men, but also in women who already fight against estrogen for weight loss. The epigenetics part is scary, what are we doing to future generations and our unborn children? Micro plastics may not make it past certain barriers and enter your blood, nano plastics are present in the fat of polar bears even. They are small enough to go anywhere in your body if I understand correctly.

True, just the other day, I was reading an article on microplastics in the newer “silk” aka plastic tea bags from certain brands - they went from paper to bad. I guess there is no way we can know for sure, who knows who pays for which studies. And when they remove “controversial” ingredients/chemicals, what do they replace then with and these more or less dangerous? What a rabbit hole…

I listened to a few Joe Rogan podcasts with Graham Hancock and then read a few other articles on ancient civilizations, watched a few documentaries, etc. One comment that made me think - just because we haven’t found plastic in ancient Egypt does not mean the cultures weren’t more advanced than us. Maybe plastics will be the main problem of the length of our time on this planet. :joy:

(Bunny) #7

Dr. Peter Attia in his video reverse engineered approach to human longevity says he increased his testosterone levels 7 fold or 7 times increase through delta sleep (pituitary FSH & LH tells the body to produce more testosterone during deep delta sleep). I guess he knows this by having himself and other men tested and not purposely supplementing to increase testosterone levels?

I also found that I sleep better using resistant starch (to feed my butyrate producing gut bacteria) and that I only sleep every 4 hours naturally without an alarm clock to wake me up; I wake up for a little while (1 hour) then go back to sleep to get a double dose of that deep delta REM that Dr. Attia is talking about? I have had this sleeping pattern for three years now! (makes me highly resistant to emotional and physical stress; distress tolerance?)

If you sleep with your mouth open (a/k/a: snoring or sleep apnea?) that is a good indication your not getting deep delta REM?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #8

Most people (including my GF) worry way too much and they will all die anyway.

Just keep your carbs down, and be happy while you still can :wink:

David, I’m trying to make sure I eat something SV’d at least 5 or 6 days a week… And Ziplocs work the best :wink: Bet I won’t end up deader than anybody else.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

As usual you totally miss the point Chris, I’m not really sure why you commented as I know you didn’t bother watching the video or have bothered to try and learn something other than plastic and artificial sweetener are awesome and won’t do you any harm because you are immune to everything since you survived exposure to carcinogenic chemicals. This is more about testosterone and estrogen balance which is important for everyone. But carry on…:cowboy_hat_face:

(Todd Allen) #10

I use reuseable silicone bags for sous vide. I’ve had a couple issues with mine. The worst is that they are closed/sealed with a separate plastic slider bar which after a while loosens up making the seal unreliable. I stopped filling the bags as full and cook with the bag tops kept above the water to prevent leakage. Usually they clean up ok turned inside out and run through the dishwasher though sometimes I have to hand scrub them with a brush and baking soda. The plastic slider tops I rinse and hand wash as needed. I once put one through the dishwasher and the heat deformed it which suggests they won’t tolerate high temp cooking either but I mostly sous vide at 135F and haven’t had an issue there. Making a stainless steel clamping closure for these bags is on my wish list but not an urgent project.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Hey, Sandy, you might try showing your husband one of the various versions of Dr. Michael Eades’ lectures on paleoanthropology, in which he contrasts effects of a hunter diet versus an agricultural diet.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #12

David, you totally miss my point, which is, statistically speaking, I don’t believe the people who worry about this stuff (estrogens, just the same as carcinogens) are any less, or more likely to develope problems from them.
I’m definitely not immune because I survived my contact with hard core carcinogens. On the contrary, it will probably eventually kill me. But that’s the last thought / concern on my mind today.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #13

@FishChris Thanks for dropping in to share that…:cowboy_hat_face:

That’s been my sleep schedule too esp since RS - I wake up, visit the loo, comfortably resettle and enjoy just relaxing - soon enough dozing off again for more lovely deep nourishing sleep with fruitful dreaming. And yes, distress tolerance!!! It’s all about hormone balancing, for sure.

I often have a schedule/location that makes it possible for me to “nap” and lay down for a bit in the late afternoon which helps me recharge/integrate, though I don’t really go to sleep then (unlike a carb crash).

Segmented/polyphasic sleep goes back a long time in human history - a history replete with unprocessed foods, fat, fasting, hormonal balance, and nutrient density (at least for those not caught in wars and/or famines). This is in stark contrast to today’s rampant dietary-based sleep apnea along with sleep medications like Ambien that aim to put people under for 8-10 hours of nonphasic induced a rather creepy fake “sleep” (which is more like a sedated consciousness from which they can’t wake up easily if there’s a strange noise or burglar, which is a whole other problem, especially for vulnerable people).

"There is evidence that the prolactin hormone surge associated with regular and stable night sleep segmentation can lead to improved sleep architecture, increasing restorative SWS in the first sleep, and increasing REM in the second sleep.

This prolactin surge in the first segment of the night can be regulatory of the entire day’s hormonal secretions! Having a high peak prolactin in the night, and repartitioning SWS into the first three hours of the night will mean there is less prolactin secreted throughout the day.

Prolactin enhances the secretion of dopamine and HGH which enhances the delta wave SWS."

Judy Tsafrir, a keto psychiatrist on the subject, the comments thread is great:

https://www.judytsafrirmd.com/segmented-sleep/

I will do that, we will watch them together…thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

(Bunny) #16

Wow they have society?

Guess I’m not alone!

The truth is out there!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #17

A few interesting articles over coffee this morning. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #18

I always wrote this off as conspiracy theory but…

I have to question my beliefs again. :cowboy_hat_face:

David, you’ve gone too far now :joy:

According to all those links we are all dead: flora is out to kill us (oxalates, phytoestrogens, thyroid disruptors, pesticides, herbicides, etc), fauna will kill us, water is poisoned, air is polluted, man-made poisons, etc…

Have a delicious sousvide steak, a little veggies, some delicious fat and call it a wonderful day :slight_smile:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #20

@Meerkatsandy

We’re already zombies!

:woman_zombie: :zombie:‍♂