Wow Butter? (Made from soybeans)

(Gina Bliss) #1

Is Wow Butter ok? I can’t have peanut butter in my house and I do love wow butter, but I haven’t seen much info on Soy besides Soybean Oil being bad. Thanks!

(less is more, more or less) #2

I’d avoid it like the plague. Ingredients: Whole Toasted Soy, Pressed Soy Oil, Cane Sugar, Palm Oil (Sustainable), Sea Salt. http://wowbutter.com/nutrition-facts.php

Can you have almond butter? Better option than PButter.

(Gina Bliss) #3

thanks. Darn. I can’t really have nuts in my house bc my son is extremely allergic. I only eat them when I am away from the house.

If nut allergies are the issue, how about seed butters – sunflower, pumpkin, hemp, sesame (i.e. tahini), chia, flax, …?

(Gina Bliss) #5

great idea! I almost picked up sunbutter but it also had sugar as the 3rd ingredient. I’ll keep looking around…I’m a little confused about things like dairy, soy, calories, etc. Do most people restrict their calories while maintaining the correct ratios? I keep the percentages easily but my calories are all over the place…

(Katie) #6

It depends on your goals. Are you trying to lose weight? Often a recommendation is to not track calories for the first 2-8 weeks. This is not an excuse to indulge, but rather a focus on getting into ketosis and fat adaptation. Keep carbohydrates below 20 grams.

(Gina Bliss) #8

all tree nuts and peanuts. It’s very common for them to go together in the allergy world.

I don’t worry about percentages/ratios at all. As a morbidly obese T2 diabetic, my daily macro goals are based on my overall goals:

• < 1200 calories (because I want to lose weight)
  • < 20 grams net carbs (because I want to control hunger and blood sugar)
  • > 120 grams proteins (because my body needs them)

I don’t have a direct fat macro, although they are indirectly limited by the caloric limit. With keto, fat is the energy source, but I have plenty of stored fat for energy. But if I do feel hunger, I would try to squelch it with something that has a high fat content.

Soy is generally considered a bad thing to eat, so most people avoid it where they can. Dairy can be an issue because of the lactose. Not only is it a milk sugar, but some people can’t tolerate it.

(Gina Bliss) #10

Thanks, yes losing weight is one goal among many for this WOE. I have kept my carbs to under 20 and for the most part have kept fat around 70-75% and protein around 20-25%, but my calories vary day to day.

(Gina Bliss) #11

thanks. Not sure how I missed the soy issue! I’m trying to cut back on cheese- that will be tougher!

(karen) #12

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/sunbutter-sunbutter-sunflower-spread-no-sugar-added-16-oz-454-grams-jar?DFA=1&UTM_Medium=Shopping&UTM_Source=GOOGLE&UTM_Campaign=SWAN_National_Gen_Shopping_Null_Null_All+Products+4055-01+Food+and+Beverage&UTM_Content=PRODUCT+GROUP&SourceCode=INTL4061&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi4Gwl-Ka3AIVFarsCh3aFgKQEAQYAiABEgISCvD_BwE

Ingredients: Roasted Sunflower Seed and Salt.

It’s kinda pricy though. $7.40 per pound.

(Gina Bliss) #13

thanks - that’s what I almost picked up - could have sworn it said sugar! :0)

(karen) #14

This one says No Sugar Added at the bottom. Maybe they make more than one variety?

ETA: Yes, the one that’s labeled “natural” has sugar in it and 5 more carbs per serving. And added vitamin E to preserve freshness, so apparently fresher than the others. Since the organic one contains no vitamin E, I assume what’s being preserved in the oh so natural one is the sugar. Thank god for all that extra Naturaliciousness. :roll_eyes:

The organic one doesn’t seem to have sugar or salt, just sunflower seeds.

(Gina Bliss) #15

sounds good! I’ll try it!!

On another thread, Someone recently cited a bunch of bad things about soy.

Trader Joe’s has a really good sunflower seed butter than doesn’t have sugar!

Run away yelling and screaming while tripping those slower than you…

of course I may be biased as I have an unusually nasty reaction to soy… but then again… nope… I was right the first time…soy is nasty sauce

(Bunny) #19

Too bad it’s not fermented soy then it would probably be a good go? (without the sugar of course)

(bulkbiker) #20

Can I ask… what’s wrong with like… butter butter?

(Maria W) #21

Absolutely nothing! :slight_smile: