12 Low Carb Diets Compared - chart image

(Ron) #3

A list I read-
First, soybeans are full of anti-nutrients such as phytic acid which bind minerals and remove them from the body.
Second, almost the entire soybean crop in the US is genetically modified and heavily sprayed with pesticides.
Third, the process of making soybean oil introduces poisons such as hexane (an industrial solvent) and Fuller’s earth into the final product.
Fourth, the process of hydrogenating the soybean oil introduces Nickel residues and transfats into the final product.
Fifth, soybean oil is highly reactive and increases free radical damage, which is not what you want when your mitochondria are already compromised. Mitochondrial dysfunction has been linked to epilepsy in recent studies.
Soybeans are known to be goitrogenic and thyroid suppressing.
Soybean oil alone and in combination with the fructose in corn syrup causes liver damage in the form of fatty liver disease.
Soybean oil denigrates the immune system and makes the body more susceptible to infection.

(Troy) #4

I was just gonna say it makes my tummy hurt😂
What @mtncntrykid list details —I’ll go w that

Cool! Somebody sure put a lot of work in to making that chart, it’s a great resource for low carb brainz.

Wonder why they didn’t mention Protein Power by the Drs. Eades - it was one of the very early bestselling LCHF/keto dietary how-to guidance books with menus and everything.

@mtncntrykid – A good list for health considerations, but I don’t see anything there that has anything to do specifically with Keto. For example, why is soy different on the Atkins diet, that it gets a check mark as being OK?

Besides, I’m sure a vegetarian could come up with a similar list about red meat. :slight_smile:

And we should probably avoid farmed salmon and shrimp. As far as genetically modified – cauliflower, broccoli, kale, Brussels sprouts, collard greens, and such, aren’t even natural veggies. They’re cultivars. Selective breeding can produce dangerous foods (e.g. Lenape potato).

None of the foods we eat today existed in the same form hundreds or thousands of years ago.

(bulkbiker) #7

Zero carb looks pretty rubbish… “oils” and “non starchy veg” allowed and no dairy? WTF
Whatever happened to only animal…

(Ron) #8

We do the Ketogenic WOE for health.
I can only go by what I find researching and you will have to draw your own conclusions.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Here are a few reasons why soy is bad for your health:
It’s highly processed
Processed foods can make our lives a lot easier, but when it comes to soy milk, it unfortunately creates a lot of problems.
The processing concentrates the most harmful parts of soybeans (AKA the parts that disrupt your hormones and irritate your gut).
The processing of soy milk also usually involves acid washing, neutralization solutions, and high heat. And if you’re worried about genetically modified foods or pesticides, then you should really beware of soy products! Almost all soybeans are genetically modified and pesticides levels are very high.
It could mess with your hormones
Soybeans contain phytoestrogens.
They’re a type of plant hormone which is similar to estrogen.
And they confuse your body by binding to the same receptors as your own estrogen.
Which throws your hormonal system off balance…
And that affects everything from your immune system to your body weight.
This is more of a problem with soy milk than soybeans, because the plant hormones are more concentrated in soy milk.
It contains gut irritants
There are problematic substances in soy milk called phytates and lectins.
They’re found in many grains and legumes as part of the “defense system” which plants use to stop themselves being eaten.
Lectins cause trouble for your health because…
They may cause inflammation and leaky gut syndrome.
They can interfere with nutrient absorption and disrupt the balance of your gut bacteria.
And in summary: they act like toxins in your body.
Phytates are just as troublesome…
They bind to dietary minerals like iron, zinc, manganese and that binding prevents your body from absorbing those minerals.
Which is why you’ll hear them referred to as “anti-nutrients”.

Wow Butter? (Made from soybeans)
(Ted Fox) #9

Great chart, thank you for sharing with us

(Nicole) #10

They are missing Fung’s work too. Another row with “fasting” would have fit right in.

(Crow T. Robot) #11

That would be hilarious! Just a column of red X’s :joy:

(karen) #12

Maybe “soy” refers to soybeans - 56 carbs per cup. Other soy products don’t seem crazy high in carbs, as you say there may be health reasons not to eat them but they’re not red flagged for stalling ketone production.

(Nicole) #13

I suppose that would be appropriate for fasting. LOL :wink:

As someone else said I was going to say I’m actually allergic but this answer needs to be screenshotted and memorised! :laughing:

(Sharon) #15

copied and pasted from above. no soy
Here are a few reasons why soy is bad for your health:
It’s highly processed
Processed foods can make our lives a lot easier, but when it comes to soy milk, it unfortunately creates a lot of problems.
The processing concentrates the most harmful parts of soybeans (AKA the parts that disrupt your hormones and irritate your gut).
The processing of soy milk also usually involves acid washing, neutralization solutions, and high heat. And if you’re worried about genetically modified foods or pesticides, then you should really beware of soy products! Almost all soybeans are genetically modified and pesticides levels are very high.
It could mess with your hormones
Soybeans contain phytoestrogens.
They’re a type of plant hormone which is similar to estrogen.
And they confuse your body by binding to the same receptors as your own estrogen.
Which throws your hormonal system off balance…
And that affects everything from your immune system to your body weight.
This is more of a problem with soy milk than soybeans, because the plant hormones are more concentrated in soy milk.
It contains gut irritants
There are problematic substances in soy milk called phytates and lectins.
They’re found in many grains and legumes as part of the “defense system” which plants use to stop themselves being eaten.
Lectins cause trouble for your health because…
They may cause inflammation and leaky gut syndrome.
They can interfere with nutrient absorption and disrupt the balance of your gut bacteria.
And in summary: they act like toxins in your body.
Phytates are just as troublesome…
They bind to dietary minerals like iron, zinc, manganese and that binding prevents your body from absorbing those minerals.
Which is why you’ll hear them referred to as “anti-nutrients”.
[/quote]

This would be a nice chart except that it’s not accurate (Bulletproof and W30 in particular, though I don’t know much about some of the others).

Love the chart. Confirms for me that Atkins is my personal North Star. Room in there for my personal tweaks and eccentricity. Thank you Troy. Ooh can’t forget dear Bobby Atkins too.

(karen) #18

The question was: Why is soy prohibited on a ketogenic diet. The only unshakeable tenet of a ketogenic diet is that it causes the body to produce ketones. That is the definition of a ketogenic diet. There is nothing about a modest amount of soy that is an issue for producing ketones. Therefore “soy” should not have a red X. Whether or not one chooses to eat soy on their own personal version of an ideal diet (I don’t, for many of the reasons you stated) has nothing to do with ketosis.

Thank you. I gave up trying to make that point. If the health reasons given here to avoid soy are relevant, then every single one of those diets should have an “X” on soy. No one answered what it was about the “Atkins” diet that makes soy acceptable, but not on the “Keto” diet?

I could quibble about “Grains” and “Legumes” as well, since some are acceptable. Although it may depend on how strict one goes on the definition of grains versus seeds. But, going down that route, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries aren’t botanically “berries” either, but watermelon is. :slight_smile:

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #20

Any diet which puts you in a state of ketosis is a ketogenic diet. No foods are forbidden. There are no x marks. If you want to make it super hard you can create it out of foods that will give you minuscule portions in order to get to 20g net carbs or whatever it takes for you to get there, but that would be silly and not healthy.

You can eat soy on Keto. I have on the rare occasion added 1/2 c soy milk to a meal, stayed in ketosis and did not destroy my health! Why people get so antichrist about soy is beyond me. It’s just a bean. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Ron) #21

I agree but do suggest organic for this reason.

(Alec) #22

Is the Zero Carb rule really greater than 20g net carbs?? Seems very odd??