Worried about ketone level

newbies

(Mark Roberson) #1

Hi all,
I recently started the keto path after separating from the military ensight for a healthier lifestyle.
I work out 5 days a week and have made it to week 2. No cravings after day 4. 1900 cal. A day 18 carbs a day roughly. I just did a urine keto strip and showed my levels between 4.0 and 8.0 based off the color chart. should I be worried? Hoping for advice so I can have peace at mind… I feel great just hope I’m not destroying my body while unaware. Thxs in advance.

(Paul H) #2

If you’re not fat adapted and not actually burning fat for fuels… which takes months for some. Then you’re just peeing out the Ketones. The pee test tells you how much your peeing out and not actually using… Are the strip fresh? They have a limited shelf life when opened. Only 2 weeks in and I just doubt you are using the Ketones for your primary source of energy yet.

(Mark Roberson) #3

Just bought the strips today. Also I was 210 with a 34 inch waist …muscular did alot of heavy lifting. Now I’m 198 waist is slimming still a 34 waste but noticing my muscles are toning but still have strength… when should I really he concerned about my ketone levels

(Jane) #4

Never, unless you are a Type 1 Diabetic on insulin.

(Mark Roberson) #5

Thank you

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq#wiki_all_about_ketostix

Ketostix measure excess levels of one type of ketone body, acetoacetate, in the urine. While in nutritional ketosis the body produces three types of ketone bodies: acetone, acetoacetate, and beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB). As the body becomes fat adapted two things happen: it becomes better at using ketones and it starts converting acetoacetate into BHB. This means that there will be less excess ketones and less of the only type of ketone measured by Ketostix. source.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #7

I’m over one year in and FINALLY showing daily colors on the pee strips. (Nothing at the beginning.) Not to worry. Everyone is different. I drink ten glasses of water a day so there is no dehydration problem.

(Allie) #8

(Paul H) #9

Oh you people and your details…lol I figured it was something like that. but now I know… I threw my stix away and hardly ever used them. As a T2D my BS testing is priority. Thanks for the details.