World's Best Lasagna

(Steve) #1

I’d like to share this lasagna recipe that my wife has been working on for quite some time. She has been tweaking the flavorful layers to satisfy that Italian craving yet keeping the carbs down. I personally think it is way better than lasagna with noodles. I love all the crunchy toppings, crushed pork rinds, pepperoni pieces, bacon, hot peppers, extra mozzarella/Parmesan all crowned with Kerry Gold butter and sour cream.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

If you like eggplant Steve try grilled slices as a noodle replacement, less water than zucchini has. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bob M) #3

That might help me for this otherwise great recipe, as zucchini and I don’t get along. For instance, I can eat spaghetti squash with no issues, but if I make zoodles from zucchini, I have bad effects.

(Steve) #4

It was really good with eggplant too and very interchangeable with whatever is your favorite. We have found that cooking it a little longer and evaporating the zucchini liquid works great but you kind of want some of that liquid if cooking the day before. We also tried a blanch on the zucchini but it was an unnecessary step, just take the foil off and it will be evaporate.
If you have any suggestions or ideas… much appreciated

(Susan) #5

Thanks for sharing this recipe with the forum. Even if people were to make a few of their own adjustments, it looks like a lovely recipe.

(Bob M) #6

I might use sliced deli chicken or turkey meat instead of the zucchini. This meat is what we use for our current lasagna recipe.

Still looks great, though. I might have to try this weekend.

(Steve) #7

Thanks
Never thought about deli meat with the ground beef, it might get the protein macros up a bit.
When that happens I just add more fat and have less. This recipe is so forgiving and will be yummy with whatever we throw at it…
Please give it a go instead of pizza night

(Marianne) #8

Oh my goodness, that looks so appetizing! I would be afraid to make something like that because I would have such a hard time controlling my overeating. That is something I believe I would binge on, it looks and sounds so good.

You people who cook and come up with these recipes are amazing. I just throw some meat in a fan and flash fry it (still yummy).

(Bob M) #9

It’s not my idea, it comes from this book:

(Bob M) #10

Well, shoot, won’t have time to make this recipe this weekend, and then we’re going on vaca for a while, so this might take me a bit of time to get back to.

(Edith) #11

I recently made a keto lasagna (not your recipe) that used oven roasted spaghetti squash for the “noodles.” Roasting the squash in the oven made it drier so there wasn’t much excess water in the lasagna.

(Steve) #12

We love spaghetti squash but only have it as a treat as it’s kind of carby. I bet it would be good in lasagna.

(Steve) #13

Here are pictures that I took as my wife assembled her lasagna in layers. She makes the sauce the day before to let the flavours meld. It only took her 15 minutes the next day to put it all together.
Tips:
This recipe has only 8 net carbs in a serving because of the zucchini but use whatever you like as substitute. One serving is very satisfying with a leafy green salad. It’s really good the next day too or freeze a portion for a quick meal.
As for zucchini moisture, she has tried precooking the zucchini by steaming, in a pan with water, microwaving and grilling. She found that none of that was necessary, just cook it a little longer to evaporate the excess moisture. Add in little extras like mushrooms, peppers and sour cream if you can afford the carbs.
The trick is to make sure that it is really bubbling before removing the tinfoil cover in the browning stage. If it is still a little watery spoon it out if you want to? The lasagna portions lift out really well and stay together.

This is the meat sauce that was made the day before.
Add the cream and mix well.

Mix the ricotta cheese, cooked spinach or kale with a beaten egg.

Slice the zucchini into 1/8" slices.

Make your pork rind cheese topping adding in bacon, pepperoni and set aside.

Spoon and spread half of the meat sauce into a 9" x 9" cake pan.

Add a layer of zucchini.

Spoon and spread the ricotta mixture over zucchini.

Add the last layer of zucchini in the opposite direction of the last layer.

Add the remaining meat sauce.

Sprinkle the pork panko cheese topping over the surface.

Tent with foil, don’t let it touch the cheese and cook at 350 until it really bubbles. Sometimes it takes an hour and sometimes 1 1/2 hours depending on how much extra stuff you add and how thick the zucchini is.
Remove the foil to brown the toppings.
Let the lasagna rest for 20 minutes uncovered before serving.

This is what it looks like the next day before a reheat.

(Julie) #14

I had a lasagne that used layers of cooked kale instead of noodles. It held together we’ll because kale is so “sturdy.”
I think you’re wife’s recipe looks fabulous. Lots of love in that casserole dish:-)

(Steve) #15

Great idea, I’ll pass it on
Thanks

(Marianne) #16

Ah, that looks sinful. Lasagna, right up here with pizza, were always my favorites.

(Deborah ) #17

Ohmigosh, that sounds just like me! Living alone, my dinner usually consists of some kind of meat, quickly cooked on the stove. Period. I see all these great recipes and even save a few but, in reality, they’re probably never gonna get made.

I agree that if I were to make this (delicious as it sounds), I don’t know that I could stop at one serving. Hmmm, maybe good to take when I need to bring a dish sometime…:thinking:

(Mimi) #18

This looks fantastic. Wow. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

(Marianne) #19

A kindred spirit!

:hugs:

(Bob M) #20

For me, spaghetti squash does not seem to cause any digestive issues. Sadly, zucchini does, and I avoid eating it now.

This is another lasagna recipe:

We have her recipe book, and it’s slightly different there, but this is basically it. To me, it fulfills a need for lasagna.