Wittrock's n=1 Ketogenic 4000 kcal Overfeeding 21 Day Challenge

Call me crazy, but I’m totally capable of doing shot glasses of olive oil.

(Mike W.) #22

The good stuff is REALLY good.

(Arlene) #23

I have never tried any brand of olive oil that I would say is “really good”. I’ve paid big money for the best brands and they all taste like olive oil. Can’t imagine drinking it. I don’t even cook with it. Sorry, guess I’ve never had the “good” stuff.

Problem is, there’s a lot of cheating by the olive oil importers. They add other types of oil to dilute and cheapen it (PUFA’s). So if you’re using it for the types of fatty acids it’s supposed to contain, it may not be what’s in the bottle. http://lifehacker.com/the-most-and-least-fake-extra-virgin-olive-oil-brands-1460894373

(Arlene) #25

I’ll stick with my lard, butter and tallow. My own farm is the source and I do the rendering. Now that’s quality control!

(eat more) #26

me either…i’m sure i have a bottle somewhere (probably rancid?) from when “they” told me to use olive oil in limited quantities instead of any other fat

i’m basic…coconut oil, butter, avocado oil…mostly in that order

(Bart) #27

The guy is also continuing with his normal gym schedule which must be pretty intense, so the protein I am sure is being used to maintain his body.

(Nicole) #28

On day 10 he ate over 90+ % fat. It was 414 g of fat, and only 45 g (I think) of protein.

A lot of people don’t like the taste of olive oil.

However, there is a very very wide variety of olive oils, which is dependent on the type of olive they press. Just like wine.

The cost in making olive oil is high, which leads to a great portion of olive oil on the market being diluted with vegetable oils and containing flavourings as a cheat. It also goes rancid easily with low heat, and oxidizes when open to air. Another problem is that large industrial production operations crush all the junk that falls into the process…leaves, twigs, branches, weeds, bugs, you name it. High quality, small operations, have hoards of people meticulously making sure only quality olives are pressed.

To ensure you get real olive oil, best thing to do is to buy bottles that have been registered with a consortium (very tight supply chain, inspectors on site, hoards of people working on the job site, etc). Or buy from someone you know who has olive trees and makes their own oil. I have family in Italy with olive trees. And it is a seasonal task to hand pick the olives, and meticulously remove all the leaves, stems, bad olives, etc. The result is liquid gold.

(Arlene) #30

Lucky you

(Larry Lustig) #31

Or maybe you just don’t like olive oil!

(bulkbiker) #32

Yeah but as you say it’s his usual gym routine so nothing extra…
Even if his daily count was wrong to start with (which I kinda doubt) then he has doubled his calorie intake and not put on any noticeable weight… quite amazing.
I’m loving the videos and am looking forward to the final conclusions.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #33

Me too!

(Arlene) #34

I believe that’s entirely possible.

(Jeff Barry) #35

Jason is actually losing weight and it seriously confuses me on the calories in / calories out ratio but he is a beast in the Gym. From my understanding he is always in keto and has upgraded to blood testing now. I never miss an episode as he is one inspiring dude and Ive picked up a few tips on day to day eating. lol

(Barbara Greenwood) #36

Back on the pure fat thing…

If I had to do that, it would be teaspoons of coconut oil for me. If I’m allowed a bit of protein and a trace of carbs, double cream makes a very satisfying drink. I understand, that is. You didn’t see me drinking it from the carton, OK?

(quickly hides all the empty HWC cartons)

ah yeah, yup, me neither… :laughing:

(Adam Kirby) #38

I love experiments like this, they basically prove that “calories” by themselves are utterly meaningless to talk about weight gain or loss.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #39

I’ve been inspired by keeping up with his experiment! I’ve decided to do something similar. One of the main takeaways is his macro ratios, that is hugely important. I had forgotten about that after my last Fast and then doing the rest of the month as ‘carnivore’ with ZC group. Honestly I sorta lost my way - the way that had taken weight off of me - which was the way Jason has set up his macro ratios. And I’m happy to say as of yesterday, I’m back on track. I just need to flesh out how I want to do my own 21 day experiment of high cal on keto and if I’ll include one fasting day out of the week (Sunday more than likely). I’m still working it out in my head.

(Adam Kirby) #40

So he got his measurements taken again yesterday and LOST 0.2% body fat. Despite saying that his workouts have been diminished due to this challenge. Another stake in the heart of CICO.