Wine makes me nervous

My wife would like to go out to celebrate her recent promotion. I’m all in favor, she deserves it and I’m very proud of her. BUT, she’s dropped hints that some wine would be a nice part of our dinner. I agree. It makes me super nervous, though. I’ve been making such great progress (on the scale, smaller belt notches, losing inches, sleeping better, wedding ring is loose). There’s no real question here…just some virtual hand-wringing. KCKO, right?

(Chris W) #2

If she wants wine as part of her celebration then that’s fine for her.
If you don’t want or need wine, then pass on it. I doubt a little bit would throw you off track for long, since it sounds like you are excited about the benefits associated with good choices, but there is no reason that everyone has to celebrate in the same way :slight_smile:

(Doug) #3

Wines have varying amounts of residual sugar, down to just about zero. Dessert wines (massively sweet, as wines go) often have about 20 grams of carbohydrates in a normal 5 ounce serving, i.e. one “glass.” “Dry” wines routinely have 2 to 4 grams per glass. I don’t know how generally true it is, but I’ve seen people say their blood sugar the next morning is lower if they have a glass of wine the night before.

In the end, it does not sound like a big deal to me, at all, to have a glass or two.

Todd, hey man - right on! It’s good to be vigilant and keep our eye on the ball. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks Doug. I really appreciate it.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #5

I agree with Doug, but I understand your concerns. Some minimal “cheating” in the past few weeks has thrown me off course, and I’m up 2kg on the scale.

I’m a bit conservative about these things, but if I were you and I was making progress nicely, I’d think twice before indulging in alcohol. In other words: I don’t think you’re crazy for worrying about being thrown off course by a slip-up.

The way I look at it, when I reach a weight/fitness level I’m comfortable with, I’ll let myself do things like drink wine more regularly. Until then, I have to be quite strict in order to get there.

(Jessika Nilsson) #6

Dry red wines are usually great, if it’s fermented correctly (traditionally) there’s supposed to be less than 3 grams of sugar in a litre, so about 2,25 g of sugar in a bottle :slight_smile: So a glas or two shouldn’t hurt too bad :wink:

It’s not really the sugar I’m worried about. I keep my carbs near carnivore levels. It’s the liver taking a timeout to deal with the alcohol and the cravings that might rise as a result.

As someone happily married for a while, these are the only 4 words I need to see to know that you absolutely should have a glass of wine. It’s the polite, loving thing to do, you’ll avoid an argument, and she’ll appreciate you stepping outside of yourself for 5g carbs.

So, graciously order/accept the wine, drink one glass, and KCKO is what I say.

If we can’t enjoy and share a celebratory glass of wine with someone we love for a special occasion on this WOE, count me out, I say!

(Jessika Nilsson) #9

It shouldn’t timeout fat burning for to long as long as you limit the amount you drink and the time period. So one glas should be fine and should probably not cause any cravings, especially if you’re eating a great keto meal with it :blush:
The only time I might get cravings after I’ve consumed wine is if I’m drinking a lot more than a couple of glasses :wink:
So if it makes her happy and you feel that you would enjoy a glas of two, go ahead. If it would cause you too much anxiety, then don’t drink as she probably wouldn’t want you to feel bad, regardless of the occasion

(Doug) #10

Well then, you’re just not drinking enough of it! :smile::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::smile:

Agree 100%, Jessika. Average wine has 11.6% alcohol, so one glass (5 oz.) is barely over half an ounce of alcohol. The liver will take “time out” to process that, yes - it’s a straight-up substitution where the liver uses alcohol instead of fatty acids (as one in ketosis does), but alcohol is treated as a fat by the liver, and I see it as a temporary and relatively low-level shock to the system.

And then yes - “a lot more than a couple glasses,” and… :star_struck::yum::neutral_face:

(Carpe salata!) #11

I agree . A glass or two will have more positive than negative. Especially if it’s only once every few months. You can monitor your reaction and both learn together whether it was ok for your new lifestyle. And let’s face it, a “glass” of wine in some places is barely a teaspoon full :wink: :wine_glass:

(Karen Fricke) #12

I have a glass of dry wine or bourbon nearly every night and I stay in ketosis just fine. I avoid beer because it’s higher carb.

Every night? My bourbon collection has been wondering where I’ve been.

Dinner was delightful. We each had 12 ounce New York strip steaks slathered in blue cheese butter with sides of asparagus, blackened prawns, and a glass of Cabernet as we sat dockside. There are so many lovely places to dine during the summer in Michigan. My wife couldn’t stop talking about how excited she was for her new role. Have I mentioned how proud I am of her? This keto journey was her idea. I love having her as a teammate. Just before we left we watched a young couple get engaged so we surreptitiously bought them dessert and glasses of champagne.

(Karen Fricke) #15

Where in Michigan?

Grand Rapids

(Jessika Nilsson) #17

It sounds absolutely lovely :heart:

(Karen Fricke) #18

We’re in the middle, between St Johns and Alma.

We’re practically neighbors.

(Sarah Herlihy) #20

My disordered self is constantly fighting this battle with a social life and circle who love a tipple. I wish i could not worry and enjoy the wine. I agree. Yes, diet is something important but so is life. Im taking a leaf out of your book and am pledging to have a wine with my hubby this weekend. He will love that.