Willpower issues, need recipe suggestions

food

(Yas) #1

Hi, I guess I am here just to vent. I was following keto for almost six months and losing weight consistently but then my mother got sick suddenly and in a month we lost her. It has been so strange, life just feels like a horror movies. It has already been two months but I still feel detached from everything and everyone. I will think every night that ok, from tomorrow I will restart keto but then when the morning comes it all feels just so useless. I know that my mother would like me to be happy and fit and energetic but I just can’t seem to get out of this funk no matter how much I try to summon my willpower. I guess I am using food and YouTube videos as my comforter.
I need a goto food that is keto, I can make on the weekend, will last me the whole week and preferably will not require reheating. Any suggestions would be welcome. That way I will remove any decision points and hopefully get back on the wagon.

(Liz ) #2

First of all, my sincerest condolences on your loss, that sounds devastating. You are probably traumatized and definitely grieving and I feel for you. I know when I lose my parents it will turn my world upside down but they are elderly and it won’t be a surprise for me. That suddenness adds a whole dimension to the sadness.

I don’t know what you were eating before but things like making up a big batch of chicken salad, or egg salad works, lasts all week. Devilled eggs are a great too. Precooked bacon, I eat it cold. When I can’t find the energy to cook I eat liverwurst and cheese, or any kind of hard sausage like salami or pepperoni and cheese, nuts, olives, until I am full, these are easy to grab and take and eat cold. I hope others chime in with more ideas.

This may sound disgusting, but I like crack slaw, even cold!

Wrong vid!

(Arlene) #5

Yes, her “crack slaw” is very, very delicious and easy to make. I also fry up some shredded mozzerella cheese for a quick no-guilt snack, or a tablespoon of almond butter.
Love yourself, above all. Give yourself time to heal from this very great loss. You are grieving, which is entirely natural. Eating healthy again will come back to you when you are emotionally ready. I give you my condolences, and wish you continued healing each day.

(Brian) #6

I like the idea of eggs that you can make ahead of time… hard boiled, deviled, that kind of thing. If you have some sausages that you can just pop into the microwave for a minute or two, that would go nicely with them. That would get you some food in the morning without a whole lot of work or planning. Maybe it would get easier when you get more awake. (?)

Sorry about your mom’s passing. Pretty much moved in with my mom & dad last August. Lost mom in April. It was hard, and I still have some memories that haunt me and unpleasant dreams from time to time, mostly of the last hours before she died. On the positive, dad is doing great at 93 years old and is becoming a social butterfly that I and my brother never knew existed, still living at home, still driving, still doing a little cooking and cleaning. Wow.

Anyway, wish I had some words that would make things easier for you. You’re not alone in having to deal with memories and feelings and moods that come about after losing a close loved one.

Wishing you the best as you heal.

(Ellen) #7

Sending you huge hugs & love, losing a parent is awful. Cook up a batch of bacon and or sausage then can just grab n go, a whole roast chicken / beef and you just tear a bit off, or if you have a bit more time do a chilli which is just as good cold. I know it doesn’t feel like it now but it does get less hard, just remember you need to look after yourself. X

Dear Yas,
My mom crossed over 7 years ago and I think of her every day. My dad crossed over in May the week I started keto. Someone asked me if I had keto flu. I guess since I was numb and grieving I couldn’t tell. Life is not the same…
I have not had much success with weight/fat loss, however I believe my hormones are a bit out of wack. (cortisol and estrogen) and settling the estate is very stressful. / I have realized cooking right now is not how I want to spend my time, although It could be a practice in self care.
I too boil a bunch of eggs and keep them ready along with avocados. I’ll go to whole foods and grab something already prepared and its less to clean up. Do you have crockpot ?

Self care/love is coming to mind. thank you for reminding me. I am sending you hugs
and prayers for rejuvenation

I don’t know if this was any help, yet know you aren’t alone
Becky

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

My deepest condolences. I too lost my mother in early April, right around the time I started eating keto. I think it’s what gave me the strength to keep going through all the things that needed to be done. I now live with my sister, her daughter, and my father, so I am enjoying cooking again, but I never really liked cooking for one. While I was still at my old apartment, I would buy large packages of frozen burgers and cook a couple in the microwave; the same with Italian sausages, which I would buy in bulk and freeze. Chicken is more work, but easy enough if you freeze a bunch of thighs either individually or in pairs, which you can quickly thaw in the microwave and toss into a pan on the stove for 20 minutes or so. Liver is also dead easy to cook: bread it in coconut flour and fry it in the pan in some bacon grease, lard, tallow, or coconut oil. The key is not to cook it more than 90 seconds on each side—comes out delicious! I also like to roast a pork picnic, which is dead easy and give you meals for the next several days. If you can get the picnic de-boned, it may cost a bit more per pound, but it’s a lot easier to carve.

I’ve also gotten bacon and eggs down to a quick and easy routine: get the bacon started in one pan, and mix a couple of eggs and some milk in a bowl. Put some grease in a second pan (use the grease from the previous day’s bacon, yum!) and after you turn the bacon over, put the eggs in the second pan, stirring occasionally. When most of the egg is solid, either flip the whole mess in one go for an omelet, or turn it over in sections for scrambled eggs—just as tasty either way. By the time you turn the eggs out onto a plate, the bacon will be done.

(Yas) #10

Thank you everyone for your kind messages. It helps to know that the way I am feeling is not unique and to hear from other people who have gone through it and are still going through it. Both my grandparents lived well into their eighties and she was only 65 years old, I thought we still had a lot of time together. I used to call her everyday and sometimes we would discuss the recipes I found here. I was never much of a cook, so she was surprised when I started cooking at home but she would encourage me to cook instead of eating out, with shortcuts and suggestions. So, in a way, the act of cooking is linked with her, and whenever I think of cooking something that she liked it just brings back this flood of memories.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I think I will start with eggs, sausages and avacado. If I can stick with it until the weekend, then maybe that ‘crack slaw’, it does look nice :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

I was very fortunate that my mother was much older than that when she died. But it was still sudden and unexpected, although she was ready to go. From what I’ve seen, it’s a mercy when they go quickly, but that doesn’t stop it from being a shock.

(Yas) #12

Just wanted say that today a neighbour just commented out of the blue that you seem to have lost some weight. It made my day and made me realize that sometimes even if you don’t see the difference yourself, it doesn’t mean its not there.