Will it fry?

(Richard Morris) #41

Bell peppers. Baby ones from costco.

Rarely. But about 2-3 hours after dinner I’ll have some scrambled egg and couple of slices of salami.

(David) #42

Sometimes my replies to individual posts don’t go in the right place either.

(Sara S) #43

I always questioned myself whether deep-frying or baking with avocado would have a negative impact of the unstable omega3 acids turning into bad fats if not eaten raw…? Did you maybe search for that before?

(AnnaLeeThal) #44

I didn’t search for that. Mostly I was looking for the most delicious way to prepare avocado.

(Sara S) #45

Lol - good point :)! Seemed you reached your goal!! Was just curious, will try to do some research on that. Thanks!

(Raj Seth) #46

Lard - Walmart sells gallons for US$10. I had to order for free pickup from the local store
Tallow - easily rendered from beef fat - cheeep from the butcher
Bacon drippings - never ever throw that away.

What tasted good deep fried - everything!
chicken wings, fish, beef steak cut into small pieces (meat fondue), zucchini, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, bitter gourd, okra, chicken thigh strips, bacon…

deep frying is like wrapping in bacon - never hurts!

(Nicole Sawchuk) #47

Does anyone have experience with using a T-Fal Actifry and beef tallow? The instructions said to only use vegetable oil (which pissed me off)…

(Chris W) #48

I’m not sure about air fryers, but for deep fat fryers they recommend that “solid” oils not be used in fryers with exposed elements. My weapon of choice is the T-Fal Uno fryer, which has the element ‘enclosed’ in the aluminum base of the fry pot.

(Nicole Sawchuk) #49

Chris - I think that’s what I have. The element is not exposed, yet the manual said no lard or animal fats.

(Chris W) #50

My manual may say that too, but I recall searching the internet for fryer suggestions and the general consensus was that the enclosed element was good for lard/tallow, and the exposed element was not. I have used mine extensively with Lard and it works great

(Nicole Sawchuk) #51

Thanks chris! We got it as a Christmas gift, so when I saw the no animal fat I was choked! But I will try it out this weekend and try the above suggestions!

Take out your Cuisinart, install the thin-slice blade. Heat up some lard or other acceptable oil. Thin slice a butt-load of zucchini and yellow squash. Dump it in the oil until it turns crispy and brown. (It will have the consistency of fresh hot potato chips). Rescue it and place on paper towels. Add season salt (“Sonny Salt” is best). Enjoy.