Will it fry?

(AnnaLeeThal) #1

Let’s start a photo log of all the crazy stuff we through in the deep fryer.

Okra! It had good flavor, but not any crunch that I was looking for. Maybe breading them would work next time. They were not slimy. I put salt and vinegar seasoning on them.

(jketoscribe) #2

I bet okra was good. It’s great, fried. Horrifically slimy steamed or boiled.

(AnnaLeeThal) #3

Tried avocado (and more okra) today. Omg. Dying. Deep fried avocado is life changing.

(Laura Kasperski) #4

How does deep fried avocado taste? Never thought about trying it. I had deep fried okra (breaded) in the past. Couldn’t get over the slime. I wanted to like it, but just couldn’t.

(Kelly LeBlanc) #5

Salt and vinegar seasoning? Where can I get that @AnnaLeeMI ? YUM!

(AnnaLeeThal) #6

I got it at Buffalo Wild Wings, one carb per serving, although I was disappointed to see it does contain sugar

(Kelly LeBlanc) #7

Boo on the sugar.

FRY ALL THE THINGS! Right @Brenda ?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #9

I literally look around for things to throw in my fryer. Not a fan of avocados deep fried. I love Brussels sprouts. Shrimp, any meat is good. I even deep fried a hard boiled egg.(I was unimpressed) Broccoli is amazing. Cheese curds develop a crust. Even Cauliflower is good.

(AnnaLeeThal) #10

I love deep fried cauliflower.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #11

Tonight I am stuffing jalapenos with cream cheese, wrapping in bacon, and deep frying. I have done it before. They turn out FANTASTIC!

Just curious about everyone’s experience with beef tallow. I bought a large quantity of grass fed tallow and when in the fryer it has a strong smell. It’s one of those smells that while in the room you don’t really notice it, but if I walk out and walk back in, it’s pretty strong. The kids complain about it. Is this the same for everyone else or is it just mine? There is some flavor transfer as well.

(AnnaLeeThal) #13

I have had very good results frying with beef tallow. No complaints, seemed like a clean oil to work with. Mine was pastured/grass fed as well. I even made body butter out if it. How high are you heating it?

350 degrees. The smell is there before cooking, but it permeates the house once heated. I don’t think it’s a quality issue, since it comes from grasslandbeef.com.

(AnnaLeeThal) #15

Maybe try lard next time.

(AnnaLeeThal) #16

Bacon ends and pieces from Trader Joe’s.

I have lard in my deep fryer right now, so I figured this would just add to my fat in the pot. Easy, so easy, to cook it like this. Bonus, the ends and pieces are cheaper than full strips of bacon.

(David Pegg) #17

…Deep … Fried… Bacon… Wow sounds delicious!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #18

I stopped buying this product. It seemed too sweet to me. It’s been a year since I’ve eaten it. Do you think it tastes sweeter than other bacon?

(AnnaLeeThal) #19

You know what?! It does. What the actual fuck. When we were eating it the other night my husband said “this must have sugar in it”, said it tasted sweet. I had to agree. It does list sugar in the ingredients, but zero carbs on the label. We both have sensitive taste buds now I guess.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #20

Almost all bacon is cured with sugar, it is normal, and it really does only add trace carbohydrate.

But Trader Joe’s goes beyond the norm for sweet taste. Use at your own risk I guess. Sorry to piss on your parade. Also- I have found SEVERAL incorrect labels at Trader Joe’s for other products.