Will eating carbs help not get as drunk or hungover?

Just wondering if anybody knows if you can eat carbs before hand so you won’t get drunk as quickly. I don’t mind getting kicked out of ketosis every once in a while.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #2

If you are new, and getting kicked out of ketosis periodically, you will have a hard time getting fat adapted. Trust me, I learned the hard way.

I’ve been eating keto for 8 months and feel great. I’m hypoglocemic and it keeps my blood sugar stable throughout the day. It’s a good way to eat. I’ve also had some drinks on only a couple of occasions and got drunk real quick and really hungover. So I am fat adapted, but just wondering if eating carbs for a day or even just one meal will help for a night of drinking so as not to get drunk so quickly.

(Mike W.) #4

Maybe just drink less?

I know drinking less would work but that’s not what I’m asking. Drinking less would literally be 2 drinks only then.

(TJ Borden) #6

Pace yourself better, and stay hydrated. The hangover is just dehydration, which is amplified on keto because you don’t retain as much water.

You would think that carbs would help too though.

(TJ Borden) #8

I’ve never found that to be the case. Even pre-keto, I figured out that to prep for a solid day at a beer fest, a breakfast of bacon and eggs was the best base. My friends that would have a stack of pancakes would be sick or tap out long before I would.

(Chris W) #9

If you think about it beer has a whole lot of carbs in it already, liquid bread!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

You might possibly get some protection from having fat in your stomach while drinking. It might possibly slow down the absorption of the alcohol. I couldn’t speak from experience, however, having gotten sober many years before going keto.

You are the only one who can say that alcohol is a problem for you, but should you ever think that, remember that A.A. is there for you and has helped many people come to terms with their drinking.

I’m not an alcoholic. I rarely drink, but when I have on only a couple of occasions I got really hungover. It would just be nice to go and enjoy myself without getting drunk right away and hungover.

When I ate carbs drinking was fine. My thought process is carbs has water in it. When you eat keto your not consuming as much water with food. So introducing carbs back in for a day for a night of drinking might help. Hydrating might help too but I just think that carbs would work better. Just curious about the whole thing.

(Chris W) #13

I think it has more to do with your cells accepting the ketones more readily now. I think that the ketones and alcohol work on the same pathways but I am no biochemist. I noticed I have become a cheap date since starting keto. I was no drunkard but I could hold my own, now 2 drinks and its lala land. I don’t get hung over though, not like I used to after having a a few hard drinks back in the day now it passes much quicker.

Ya, it sucks that the keto lifestyle creates cheap drunks and notorious hangovers more most.

(TJ Borden) #15

So again… stay HYDRATED. I don’t drink as often, but I still drink beer, and when I do, I drink quite a bit. As long as I get plenty of water durning and/or after, I wake up with no hangover.

(Robert C) #16

It may be that you can make this work again but, I don’t think it is “magic”.
Have a couple of bananas before drinking and you’re back to the old days of

“When I ate carbs drinking was fine.”

Probably not. If you are fat adapted on keto, that won’t change much with something so small and near term.

I think (opinion - not a doctor) that if you want your old days of carb hangover protection that you’d have to load up on carbs (SAD) for several days to get your hormones working that way again.

I would choose a high fat butter ladled bacon and eggs type of meal over carbs. And eat some nuts whilst you drink to soak it up. Why risk the dangers of all that excess glucose coupled with the alcohol.

(Omar) #18

I have seen lots of members talk about being on keto for example last year, then they quit keto for some reason and when they try going back to keto they have difficulties.

I did not understand that as the mechanism and the biology is still the same .

(Terence Dean) #19

Eating something is better than drinking on an empty stomach.

The speed at which you get drunk depends on how long you’ve been a drinker (wannabe or absolute piss-head) and how large you are. I never met a skinny guy who could drink that would last longer than a big guy who could drink.

I don’t think Keto is going to save you, its not that good!! Wrong application buddy. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Ken) #20

You don’t get hangovers if you drink enough water. One large glass between each drink will prevent a hangover. Hangovers are caused by dehydration shutting down the Kreb’s Cycle.