Will eating carbs help not get as drunk or hungover?

(Jay AM) #21

Carbs don’t take care of you better than good old water or ketoaide. The only thing carbs do is hold some water. If you were to hydrate well before, during, and after you’d see better results on hangovers. I don’t know if ketoaide would be better than water but, some can’t hurt. As for getting drunk quickly, eat a good meal before and maybe during. Otherwise, just stretch your drinks out. Ask for a shot with a large diet soda chaser and mix them for example and chase that with water.

(Chris Robertson) #22

I’ve been told that carbs from water soluble fiber can help increase your alcohol tolerance but I don’t know if it’s true. Supposedly the fiber absorbs some of the alcohol and you ultimately absorb less of it. Again, I don’t know if it’s true. I also don’t know how it effects the hangover. Perhaps try a 1teaspoon of psyllium husk with a large glass of water prior to drinking and then report back on how it effects you.

Like others have said, drink lots of water during consumption and after. I have a tall glass of water per drink, and often will drink vodka tall with soda water, maybe a flavored water. Also, I find eating something with a high fat content like cheese and nuts helps. More importantly, I drink tons of water before going to bed, it helps alleviate feeling too tipsy, which I find happens now even after drinking just one glass of wine.

I’ll add that I’ve tried drinking lower carb beers and their effects are horrendous on my system.

(TJ Borden) #24

That’s the key. Getting up a couple times in the night to pee is totally worth avoiding the hangover

I’ll try that then. Thanks.

(Terence Dean) #26

When I was a 20something piss-head I’d drink beer all night, and usually that didn’t cause me to have hangovers the next day but as soon as I combined that with spirits, that’s when I really got blotto drunk and you could guarantee that your head was gonna be bad the next morning. A lot depends on how much alcohol your body can tolerate but I’d advise not mixing your drinks, such as drinking rum and cokes followed by beer chasers.

I remember well one night when my mate and I got involved in a bet from a barman who reckoned it would be impossible for us to drain a 750ml bottle of Bourbon (and cokes) with beer chasers before closing time which was 20 minutes away. So we lined up about six of these on the bar and lowered that sucker. We won the bet but we both spent a lot of time puking in the big white telephone hours later. Oh the stupid things we do in our youth.

So to answer the question, by all means eat carbs or Keto but expect a huge hangover if you over do it. Good luck.

(Beth) #27

I don’t get hangovers anymore after going keto. I don’t know why, but I can tell my body burns the alcohol off quickly (much higher body heat overnight) and I never wake up with hangover symptoms now. Maybe the body switches more efficiently from burning ketones to alcohol and back? For context, I’m only a moderate wine drinker, as in 2 or 3 glasses, so take this FWIW.
When I did have carbs (holidays) & drank, I felt worse next day. When i’m <20g, I never do.

Last party, the food was served halfway through and it did seem to slow the alcohol effects. I bet Paul is right, some fat/protein before might help slow absorption & the effects.
This will be an interesting n=1 experiment. Please let us know how it goes. If you have any liver support supplements, I find that they help clear alcohol from my system faster, like NAC or milk thistle. And like they said, lotsa water. Have fun!

What is NAC?

(Beth) #29

N Acetyl Cysteine. I get mine on Amazon.