WIKI: Ketogenic Cookbooks

wiki

(Tom Seest) #1

I am not a cook, and I don’t make that claim. I can cook, and have never killed or maimed small children or grown adults with my cooking, but I know many people here are cooks.

I thought it would be convenient to have a WIKI of Ketogenic Cookbooks that experts could contribute too. Feel free to edit and maintain this WIKI and add to it.

KETOGENIC COOKBOOKS

The Dopamine Diet
(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #2

[quote=“tdseest, post:1, topic:8341”]
The 30-Day Ketogenic Cleanse
[/quote] Received this as a gift a few weeks ago, it’s a good reference for keto basics, beautiful pics, and tasty recipes!

(Tom Seest) pinned #3

(Lauren Casapulla) #4

The Low Carbohydrate Dieter’s Cookbook, by William T. Thorne, 1973 (!!)

I bought this in 1982 as a fat basketball athlete at age 16 and followed its advice on ketosis, and took off all of my excess weight at the time. If only I had known to treat eating as a lifestyle change and not a wagon to jump on whenever I’ve deviated and regained fat…!

I learned better via Robb Wolf in 2009 to make this a lifestyle, but and am still having trouble with the permanent thing. I know ketogenic Paleo and/or primal are the templates that work for my best health.

(Cheryl Meyers) #5

George Stella has several low carb cookbooks–I’ve just tried recipes posted on his Facebook page. Good stuff!
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Low-Carb-Cookbook-Best-Presents/dp/1934193968

I also like Dana Carpender’s recipes.

There’s good stuff, including good general information, in here.

I was recommended this by a friend who had tasted one of the recipes at a mate’s house. She wasn’t sure how low carb it was so I investigated. I have always been a fan of Kerridge and seen him on tv many times. He is a no nonsense kind of guy who just loves to make great tasting food without too much faff. The write up looked pretty LC so I ordered it.

First glance - love pretty well all the recipes with just a handful jumping out as being not strictly keto because of fruit etc. I would say easily adaptable though or just skip those ones.

A more thorough glance showed fairly high carb counts for servings. Now the servings are quite large (he says this) and the carb value is net. I haven’t worked out what I would give a recipe yet but will do. When I looked at a few of the higher carb counts (we are not talking massive here but could be your daily allowance so massive enough!) my first reaction was that they would be easily adaptable because the culprits leapt out - usually honey and passata. So I would say that most (if not all) the recipes could be adapted very easily and without changing them that much. Why bother? The recipes are mouth-wateringly good, that’s why!

I have only skimmed the brief intro and am not at all sure about this whole dopamine thing but it has most definitely worked very well for him. He says he is at a level of <100 carbs which is sky high in our minds - and that is NET! However, the overall feel is great - real foods made into divine recipes.

I think this would make a fabulous gift for those friends that are kind of tempted but still just think you are insane eating all that fat and restricting your carbs down so low. Are you going to get the keto magic? Well no -at least it is very unlikely. I could see people with no IR or other problems maybe getting close - especially if they were not consistently at the top end of the carb count. I think this could be the perfect halfway house taster to get normals hooked!

For you and I? Well I think it is still a great buy but you will have to adapt a lot of the recipes. I haven’t got into it in any depth yet but I think this would be easily done. I will update this though once I have read it more thoroughly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Tom-Kerridges-Dopamine-Diet-low-carb-stay-happy-weight/1472935411/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489583504&sr=8-1&keywords=tom+kerridge+dopamine