Why not reducing fat to lose weight in a keto diet?

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #12

Yes, I was not precise enough. Also, the artificial food I eat has some fat, just very low fat.

It is the same as low carb. We say we do hate carbs, but it is impossible to eat 0 carbs, the maximum we can do is to eat little carbs. With fat, the same.

(Susan) #13

I am 54 and have been dieting since I was 11, and I really messed up my metabolism, so I need to reset it now. This will take some time but it took me a while to mess it up and gain all this weight too. I will lose the rest of the weight, and I will be healthy and slim eventually as well, but slow and steady wins the race =).

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #14

I do not know the answers. I only know a short-term reaction for n=1.

I am a scientist, and I know this is not enough, it could be noise.

As a consequence, I am asking for knowledge from people with more time experience, and with n>1 experience.

(Susan) #15

As you said, all of our bodies are different. I know that since I have started to increase my fats, proteins and calories, that my body is feeling better, and I feel I am getting healthier and finally doing Keto properly for the first time since starting it in February!

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #16

“what you propose isn’t a ketogenic diet which should be 70% or more of your calories from dietary and body fat released calories.”:

Is this really true? Is a keto diet defined as:

1. low carb (less than 20 per day)
  2. high fat (more than 70% per day)?

Before; I understood a keto diet is defined only as (1), not as (2).

(Full Metal KETO AF) #17

My feeling Arbre is that your doctor doesn’t understand nutrition basics of they told you what you’re saying. As @anon54735292 said living off protein for your basic energy source will cause big problems for your health in time. Try this

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #18

Yes, both points.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #19

Yes, 70% calories from fat. Give me your weight, height, age and basic activity level, 1-5 couch potato to very athletic. I assume you are a woman.

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #20

I am a man! 44 year old, 1.75m, 93.6kg (I was 101.3kg when I started, about 3 weeks ago), and now unfortunately 2-3 (I used to be 5).

(Full Metal KETO AF) #21

Sorry, second time today I was wrong guessing by the way the name sounds to an American. :grin:

Protein

116 g

Fat

127 g

Carbohydrates

21 g

Macro Percentage Breakdown

Total Calories

1699 k/cal

This is a 80% estimate of your daily caloric needs of you want to track with an app, I recommend starting with the easy instructions I posted before. Hope that helps.

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #22

Arbre means Tree in Catalan (and it is masculine) :wink:

How many calories I am assumed to need to remain stable in weight? In other words, how much energy does my body consumes per day?

If it is say 2500, then I would burn 801 kcal per day under these macros, right? (on the long term; on the short term, things are for sure more complicated).

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #23

I see, 80%. Then, 2124 kcal.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #24

Stable stay as you are now

Protein

116 g

Fat

171 g

Carbohydrates

29 g

Macro Percentage Breakdown

Total Calories

2124 k/cal

(Full Metal KETO AF) #25

I recommend not raising carbs, if you do cautiously.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #26

As you lose weight you need to recalculate macros. I like ketokarma.com

('Jackie P') #27

This might help you understand better.

('Jackie P') #28

All human cells are built from fat and cholesterol. If you have eaten poor quality fats in the past, ie industrial seed oils, then you really don’t want to be recycling those.

I think you could benefit by doing some research. Keto food isn’t “produced” it is natural.

Hey everyone, Arbre specifically says that his doctor is recommending keeping fat low in the weight loss phase so that he can access his stored fat. If he’s in ketosis (he is) and is not hungry (he’s not) and is losing weight (he is) that’s exactly what’s happening. I know that we all flinch when we hear “low fat” and “calorie restriction” but what he describes in his post is precisely in line with what we generally understand: as long as you have extra body fat and your insulin is low enough to use your own fat stores, you don’t need a lot of exogenous fat for energy. He ends his post by saying that adding fat in maintenance makes sense.

@Arbre there’s a long thread on here about whether our metabolism slows down when we reduce your calories when we’re getting some of our energy from our own fat. I’ll link to it if I can find it.
Aside from the question of processed foods (I would eat real, whole foods!), it sounds to me like you’re on a good track right now.

[edited to spell Arbre’s name correctly!]

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #30

Somebody finally understands me! :wink:

(Not a cow) #31

Even with the metabolism of fat stores, you must maintain high enough calories (out) to continue to lose weight. To maintain high enough calories out, you have to maintain high enough calories in. ( Calories in = Calories out) Plus you need to restrict carb calories, and you need to restrict protein calories, to avoid high insulin reactions.

I don’t believe you can reach ideal amount of calories in, for your BMR, using your formula of low fat, low carbs, and moderate protein.

As i understand it, the body does not count fat from your fat stores as calories in.