Why I Didn’t Get Fat From Eating 5,000 Calories A Day Of A High Fat Diet

(What The Fast?!) #21

@KetoLikeaLady Thanks for your response. I hope you enjoyed the heck out of your bacon :slight_smile: I’ve decided to try a four-day fat fast as an experiment. I’m planning to have about 50g of fat power day, divided up throughout the day. I started my fat fast yesterday at 1:30 pm.

(Doug) #23

I like his approach: “I’m not trying to disprove the laws of physics, as they are always true, I’m merely trying to understand how our bodies interact with them as it is not entirely evident at this moment in time.”

Linear expectations - especially ones based solely on the raw numbers of calories - are so often wrong here. The body can be incredibly thrifty, in frustrating ways. It can also apparently “waste” calories, excreting them (?), burning more of them for heat, or engaging in some other real voodoo - I only gained 5 lbs or 2.3 kg per year while eating 5000 - 10,000 calories per day on many, many days, and that was high-carb eating.

(Brian) #24

5 pounds a year doesn’t seem like much but add that up over 15 years and then realize you’ve got an extra 75 pounds. Yikes. That’s about what happened to me.

(Doug) #25

Definitely - for me it was 30 years/150 lbs. Still, that averages a little less than 7 ounces per month. Seems like the flipside of the feeling that “I’m doing X, Y, and Z, and I’m still not losing weight.” And it would absolutely swamped by transient factors like salt intake and water retention.