Why I Didn’t Get Fat From Eating 5,000 Calories A Day Of A High Fat Diet

(Adam Kirby) #6

Here are his other experiments.

(Adam Kirby) #7

So you’re only eating 300 cals a day? And you don’t think you will lose fat?

Nope, I believe I will gain, or remain the same. My body will think it is starving.
I know its only 10 days, but I bet if I went a month I would only lose a pound.

Ok

(What The Fast?!) #10

I am super interested in your results. Please tag me when you post them!
I’ve done HCG before (several times) and the last time I did it, even though I was eating under 700 cals a day, I lost next to nothing.

(Carpe salata!) #11

I’m interested too. With starving I would have thought you would have felt slow, cold, not full of energy. Your reports seem to indicate the opposite. IF is supposed to trick the body to believe there is an abundance of energy so keep metabolism high by intermittent feasting.

I’m not sure how meaningful your 10-day results will be, but I’m very interested in your n=1.

I feel it will be the same for me. I also believe when I eat within my normal macros I will gain weight. Did you experience that?

I think I feel well because the Isopure is packed with vits and mins

(What The Fast?!) #14

Well, I’ve yet to lose any weight on keto that actually stayed off, and I’m pretty sure I’m eating under my TDEE every day, so I think that going way over (with fat) may be what finally works. I’m going to try that once I finish this fast.

I’ll do 10 days of regular Keto from Monday, and then I will EF for 40 days and see what happens. Its quite nice having the freedom to experiment without stuffing carbohydrates!

(What The Fast?!) #16

whoa! 40?? You’re a beast.

(Carpe salata!) #17

FOLLOWING THAT :slight_smile:

You certainly have some tenacity and I think you might get there.

Of course listen to your body is the first priority. Be safe.

(Sjur Gjøstein Karevoll) #18

Definitely try going over your TEE for a while. I’ve heard several anecdotes of people losing more when they are more, and there’s also the overfeeding experiments where even on a 10000kcal diet the subjects barely gained weight (and stopped gaining pretty soon).

I also have my own anecdote related to this. The first time I lost weight it slowed down around 110kg. I also became more hungry, it was harder and harder to stick to one meal a day and I often had to get a snack or something before dinner. I became less energetic, and while I still exercised (in fact, exercised more) I didn’t have the same need to move that I used to when I was severely obese. For a while I tried eating less, still not counting calories but cutting certain ingredients (like cheese) in my regular meals in half and not eating more than my one meal. I also did some 48 hour fasts, but that was mainly to see if I could. I kept losing weight even though it was slowing down more and more, but I was also feeling worse and hungrier. After about two months of this I figured, if my body doesn’t like this it’s probably not a good idea to force it. My BMI was 29, so while I was still fat I wasn’t a blob anymore, and I figured I wouldn’t waste time swimming uphill. I started eating more, still keto, still healthy whole foods, still mostly one meal a day, and I started feeling better pretty much right away. I gained weight, for a while, but not much and after a few weeks I suddenly dropped 2kg out of nowhere. A few more months of this and I had dropped to 90kg, now flirting with a normal BMI, exercising a lot and enjoying it and feeling pretty good in general (until my depression pretty suddenly gained the upper hand and I’m now doing it all over again, but that’s a different story).

I think the body is fine losing weight as long as thing are swell. If it’s not doing so good, however, if it’s stressed, injured or something else is amiss, it prefers to save energy for emergencies. It’s going to increase hunger and decrease “luxury” expenditures and generally do what it can to be frugal. You can always force the body to lose weight by not eating enough calories, but realize that weight gain and weight retention is a way for the body to try to mitigate whatever underlying condition is making you feel bad. The best way, I think, is to find that condition and fix it. Sometimes that condition is not enough calories, and you fix it by eating more. Now, this doesn’t guarantee you’ll lose weight because there may be more reasons you’re not losing, but I think weight loss is best left to the body while the mind focuses on staying healthy. Unless you’re trying to win a bodybuilding competition or something to that degree, then a more focused approach is needed.

(What The Fast?!) #19

Thanks! I’m 84 hours into a fast now and I think I’ll break it this morning with eggs and bacon and butter! I was going to go for a few days longer…but also, FOOD. hahahhahhaa. I’m eager to try the hyper-caloric high fat experiment, plus I can always do a couple day fast next week.

@KetoLikeaLady Wow! 84 hours! Good job. How do you feel?

(What The Fast?!) #21

@KetoLikeaLady Thanks for your response. I hope you enjoyed the heck out of your bacon :slight_smile: I’ve decided to try a four-day fat fast as an experiment. I’m planning to have about 50g of fat power day, divided up throughout the day. I started my fat fast yesterday at 1:30 pm.

(Doug) #23

I like his approach: “I’m not trying to disprove the laws of physics, as they are always true, I’m merely trying to understand how our bodies interact with them as it is not entirely evident at this moment in time.”

Linear expectations - especially ones based solely on the raw numbers of calories - are so often wrong here. The body can be incredibly thrifty, in frustrating ways. It can also apparently “waste” calories, excreting them (?), burning more of them for heat, or engaging in some other real voodoo - I only gained 5 lbs or 2.3 kg per year while eating 5000 - 10,000 calories per day on many, many days, and that was high-carb eating.

(Brian) #24

5 pounds a year doesn’t seem like much but add that up over 15 years and then realize you’ve got an extra 75 pounds. Yikes. That’s about what happened to me.

(Doug) #25

Definitely - for me it was 30 years/150 lbs. Still, that averages a little less than 7 ounces per month. Seems like the flipside of the feeling that “I’m doing X, Y, and Z, and I’m still not losing weight.” And it would absolutely swamped by transient factors like salt intake and water retention.