Why do people keep telling me

(Pete A) #42

Eggsactly.

(Deborah Blau) #43

Yes, I have asked people whom I didn’t know had embarked on weight loss plan if their loss was intentional. (So far, nobody has asked me that question. :wink: )

I’ve brought the kids up north to see my parents for a few days.

Every time my Mum asks about my diet her first question is always ‘are your arteries not getting clogged with all that fat?’ Usually swiftly followed by ‘are you not lacking vitamins by not eating fruit?’.

I have given them bits of literature every now and again (not bombarded them) to evidence the science behind keto but they are very much in a ‘no change’ mindset and feel they must stick to what the government and NHS says is healthy.

They did look rather shocked though when my five year old (who is not keto but certainly not high carb, I’d say more paleo) started out of the blue (and completely unprompted - I was pleasantly surprised tbh) to tell them about how much sugar was in their bread and how it isn’t really good for them to eat it every day :laughing:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

You have one smart kid. Congrats! :bacon::bacon:

(Sophie) #46

Out of the mouths of babes! :+1:

(Liz ) #47

Some sweet (chubby) friends asked me yesterday, concerned, if I intend to keep losing weight (it took me a year to lose 45 pounds & I’m about 25 pounds from goal) so I flipped up the bottom of my shirt in front & let my belly flop out lololol. One of the women said “Oh! Well, the way you dress so well, I’d never know…” :rofl: it amused me they might have imagined me all ribs :wink:

My skinniest SiL wanted to be sure I wasn’t becoming an obsessive weight loser, which I understand is a legitimate concern & I appreciate her looking out for me. I think I convinced her I wouldn’t. But at the time I also thought “So are you the only one allowed to be thin??” I am 100 lbs lighter than when I married her brother 16 years ago though I’ve lost weight since then, just not all of it, so she’s used to me being a large lady.

(Michael King) #48

These things you say are true. It is like people cannot stand to see others do what they wish they could do so they lie to themselves. It works the same way with religious doctrine. If you want the truth you go to the truth and find out for yourself. If you want to believe what you want to believe you prove those things you believe with biased information.
It is not normal to see someone that doesn’t have extra fat on their body. I’m down 43 lbs last time I weighed myself, but down 55 lbs from 10 years ago. When I stopped drinking beer I dropped and stabilized at 225 lbs. When I started keto and extended fasting (fast mimicking mostly) I dropped another 43lbs went down to size 31" waist pants (from 38"). At first people were saying, “You don’t need to lose any weight.” All I could think was “if you really cared about me you wouldn’t lie to my face.”
But now I’m not sure if they really think that fluffy is the way all adults should look. It isn’t. My wife loves the results thankfully. She knows extra fat isn’t healthy.

(Peter Sveinsson) #49

“You don’t need to lose any (more) weight” can be code for “you’re setting a standard I fear I can’t meet”. My experience is that it’s most likely to come from those close to you.
In reality, the comment is confirmation bias in its simplest form.
It can still be difficult to deal with when it comes from those you love and who love you.
I think the answer is to be clear about your own reasons and goals without pushing them onto others.
Empathy is the ability to see things from others’ point of view. Not for others to see things from our point of view.

(Raj Seth) #50

We know it should be the opposite, right?
You’re underweight - have some dry toast and juice
You’re obese - have a burger (no bun)
:+1::+1:

(Chris H) #51

Two things triggered me to lose weight. One was the fact that I could rarely find anyone bigger than me anymore, and the last straw was my puffy neck in my current driver license photo. I can’t wait to hit my goal before my license expires!

(Jean Taylor) #52

I pretty much agree with both the people saying our perception of a healthy weight is off and the ones saying you’re making the people commenting look bad. Just depends on who is saying it. Family and close friends are probably legitimately concerned while most people are just assholes :smile:

(Carolus Holman) #53

Most people! Lol.

Absolutely true. That is her identity

I know I have lost quite a bit from my top half, but bottom half still needs work (!!), was told the other day, ‘that’s just your shape, you have to put up with it, you won’t change it, so it’s time to stop now!’

(Diane) #56

Congratulations on all your success!

How are you feeling? If you’re anything like me, the other benefits of this WoE are powerful enough to cause you to want to continue on this Keto journey whether or not you ever lose more weight, or however long that might take. Plus, you are ultimately the one who will live with all the consequences of your decisions about your diet and health. YOU decide when to stop, when YOU’RE happy with your results.

KCKO!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #57

Amen to that! My metabolic health has never been better, and while it would be nice to lose another forty pounds or so, I have already reaped so many benefits from the weight loss I’ve already experienced.

(Kirk) #58

I started keto a month ago on the advice of my doctor. I was surprised to hear him recommend it. I’m a heart attack survivor, and was bombarded with old school nutritional advice during rehab four years ago. There was one cardiologist there who did support the new ideas about dietary cholesteral and fat in diets. My doctor, a young guy who actually went to school with my son, asked if I’d met this cardiologist. He was in agreement with his way of thinking, so low-carb is my lifestyle now. I’ve dropped 15 pounds since that appointment a month ago. I’m now at my high school weight, 175 from an all time high of 240, years ago. I decided today to reset my goal weight to 165. Despite regular weight lifting and daily exercise, I still have some of the belly left.

(Karen) #59

Congrats! You are have really improved.

K

(Jimmy Washington) #60

Misery LOVES company!!!

(Gail P) #61

I’ve been wondering about that Mother Goose rhyme:

Jack Sprat could eat no fat
His wife could eat no lean
And so betwixt them both
They licked the platter clean.

The wrong spouse was always pictured as fat - the wife!