Why do people keep telling me

(Carolus Holman) #1

Why do people keep telling me I have lost enough weight? I hear that alot and it pisses me off. I am 10 pounds from the top of the Obese range for my height. Mind your own business and I will KCKO. Any other stories about what people keep saying to you?

(Raj Seth) #2

My standard response ā€œHuh? Would you say that again please, I am hard of hearing.ā€ After the third request to repeat, they get the pointā€¦:joy:

(Joe) #3

Yup Iā€™ve gotten that one plenty. As well asā€¦

ā€¦ Extreme diets are never healthy
ā€¦ Its always something with you.
ā€¦ Way to be difficult
ā€¦ When are you going to stop this?

Typically by people who are in worse shape than me.

But then.
ā€¦ Hey youā€™re looking good. Good job. What are you doing?

(Karl) #4

ā€œyou do you.ā€

Stop when YOUā€™RE happy with your results. Everyone else will just have to deal with what makes you happy.

My wife tells me Iā€™m too skinny now at 165. But Iā€™m comfortable here.

(Pete A) #5

I get it all the time and a lot. Lectures and ā€œassessmentsā€. Sunday someone told me I looked like a concentration camp survivor.

People donā€™t know what to say is what Iā€™ve learned. Itā€™s likely because you look and act like a different person.

I donā€™t say much in response. I donā€™t mind the comments.

itā€™s cool. you find your ā€˜set pointā€™ and others must find theirs. Those that canā€™t, or wonā€™t, well they whine on those that do. Diet, work, money, familyā€¦it all seems to go that way. Youā€™re doing great and donā€™t let anyone else decide that for you.

(Joe) #7

I think some of this is society as well. We have become accustomed to normal being overweight. Just look around you see far more obesity than fitness. Some of us are waking up an realizing we donā€™t need to be in that mold and we can live longer more active lives.

Last week I had a coworker of mine (who is a physical therapist and probably 100 pounds overweight) criticize me for how I was losing weight. She was informed of what keto was and said it was going to kill my kidneys. I found an peer reviewed article about the long term health benefits and benign side effects on her desk and I havnt heard a word since. Not just about keto, she has not spoken to me.

Its not about fat shaming. But I do think its becoming politically incorrect to want our society to be healthier and its not helping. People want their heads in the sand and almost become offended when we buck the trend.

(Sheri Knauer) #8

Theyā€™re jealous to see your success. Plain and simple. KCKO!

I also think itā€™s because our standards are radically skewed. Iā€™ve been obese for years while being told ā€œoh, youā€™re not fat.ā€ The people that do register as ā€œfatā€ tend to be morbidly obese and beyond. Americans just arenā€™t used to seeing healthy weight people. Just my two cents plain.

(Joe) #10

At 5ā€™9ā€™ā€™ and 225 lbs I was told " you carry that well. I donā€™t think you need to lose weight at all!"

I donā€™t think body size is an indicator of beauty or worth of a person. But I do want to see people I care about be well and healthy, but you just canā€™t say anything these days. I have a family member who has a big weight struggle and when I first lost weight and people started asking and talking about it at family events I tried to downplay it because I knew it bothered her that she still struggled. In the end I chose to try to lead by example.

(Trish) #11

My 6 foot tall 140 pound canā€™t gain a pound to save his soul son has the right idea when people comment on his skininess or place their fingers around his wrist. He says, oh youā€™re comfortable commenting on my weight and think I need to eat more? Ok well in the interest of sharing opinions I thinkā€¦and then he offers his opinion of the person. People very quickly realize that what they said or did was inappropriate and they STFU.

(ANNE ) #12

Awesome way to handle comments on body sizeā€¦

(Karen) #13

If they are meeting you for the first time you might not hear it as much, but people who know you get concerned when they see the difference. Sometimes Iā€™m a bit shocked by some forum posters, when I see before and afters. I worry that the cheers may encourage a loss that is too much to support in a healthy way. Just concern.

K

(Miss E) #14

wait wait, you left an article on her desk which counteracted her unlikely backed up point and she has stopped talking to you?

(Miss E) #15

I feel the same. I mean everyone knows their own body and what feels good but I think at least aesthetically some people get a mild addiction to seeing changes in their body. I have actually asked some people to tell me if they think Iā€™m going too far so I can then objectively assess that. Mind you Iā€™ve only lost less than a quarter of my goal weight so thatā€™s a long way off.

(Jay AM) #16

The ones I hear most are the people who tell me how bad keto is and that Iā€™m losing weight too fast and going to die of x disease they relate to keto. And that they would never do that. And then they complain of exhaustion and hunger when their new 800 calorie 3 hours of daily cardio plan goes into effect.

(Ginger) #17

Yeah, iā€™ve never had anyone tell me iā€™ve lost enough weight sobs :weary::sob::weary:

My family do say youā€™ve lost enough weight , itā€™s time to stop now, your face is looking drawnā€¦ I am a healthier BMI now, but still the heavier side of middle in the normal weight range, I could lose another 1 1/2 stone & still be a healthy weight! It is annoying, all I say back is that Iā€™ve got some lovely clothes I want to be able to fit intoā€¦ might not work for you though! And before when I lost weight, people were asking my husband if I was ill! I was still 8 stone, which for a 5ā€™ 1" lady is not underweight!! It bugs me that I donā€™t say anything to others about their weightā€¦ as people have said, just jealousy!

(Joe) #20

Yup. This was Friday hasnā€™t mentioned that or anything else to me since. I told her I was going to give her evidence. She happens to be very good at her job and is typically right with everything so it may have come as a shock to her. We will see what happened this week.

(Allie) #21

I get it too. Itā€™s tempting not to ask when theyā€™re going to stop putting weight on in responseā€¦