Why do I find it so hard to start an extended fast?

(Scott Rolley) #1

A few months ago, I did a 4-day fast, ate for 2 days, and then completed a 5-day fast. It was relatively easy with little hunger or negative side effects, except feeling cold after day 3 of each fast. Now, I’ve been wanting to do some extended fasting more regularly, but mentally I can’t even make it to 24 hours. I have no problem skipping breakfast, but for some reason by either lunch or dinner time my mind tells me that I need to eat. I know if I could just make it over that 24-hour hump I’d be fine. Anyone else have similar problems and figure out how to overcome it?

I just went through this. 24hours is typically my hardest time and keeping me away from EF the past couple of months. This time when I got hungry I decided this time to not sweat it and had a bite of fat (butter/coconut oil - total approx 1 tablespoon) to curb the urge. And it worked fantastic. I was able to go to bed, sleep without fussing and woke up well rested, feeling great and on track.

(Trish) #3

Could be if you don’t have excess fat to sustain you then your body doesn’t want to fast. Also try to set small goals. Plan to skip meal by meal only instead of days at a time.

The mental part of fasting is way harder than the physical part IMO. You have to be in the right place mentally and really confident in what you are doing, early on when I would question myself the head trash held me back. Here are a few tips you can try:

• Broth, salt, added fat can help with a rough spot.
  • Sleeping is a great way to get through a rough patch also.
  • Make sure you eat like a king on the days leading up to the start of your fast.
  • Change the time of day you hit the 24 hour mark. Maybe try waking up and feasting to start your fast that way you end up sleeping through hours 16-24. Or some variation to that effect.
  • Drink lots of water when hunger creeps in.
  • Try Epsom salt baths, they can make you feel way better during a fast.

For me 6-8pm is always the worst part because instead of tearing into a ribeye or roasted chicken I’m sipping herbal tea. Just remember, nothing worthwhile is supposed to be easy.

(Karen) #5

Stay too busy to eat. I fast with BPC

K

(Damon Chance) #6

Since the first day is definitely mental… Start with your why. Focus on why you are doing it. I find if I don’t have a clearly defined goal for fasting then I will easily talk myself into breaking it at 24hr mark. If I have some reason to fast and have even some personal accountability towards that reason its much easier.

(Alan Williamson) #7

Busy hands are happy hands.

(Scott Rolley) #8

Lots of good suggestions. Thanks guys!

(Scott Rolley) #9

I wish that was the problem! Losing 20-25 lbs would get me down to around 18% body fat. Was there a couple/few years ago and would love to get back.

The idea of an extended fast doesn’t really appeal to me. I probably should try it though just so I can say I’ve done it. Problem is, I love food! Lol