Why am I getting Jiggly?

I’m losing extremely slowly, like a quarter to one half pound every couple of weeks. I noticed today that my stomach roll, while it looks the same in the mirror, if I pinch it it feels deflated/jiggly.

What’s happening? Is this normal??

(Susan) #2

Autophagy with Fasting can help tighten the skin while we are losing weight =).

I am on a 48 hour fast atm, for this and to get the scale moving. I want to get back into doing a 48 hour fast once a week, and a 72 hour one once a month.

For the scale moving reasons but also for Autophagy =).

(MooBoom) #3

Hazarding a guess that your fat cells are due for a whoosh- they’re full up with water and about to release. I’ve noticed this phenomenon with myself.

I’d agree with @MooBoom. It’s disconcerting at first but it’s usually a good sign :slightly_smiling_face:

(Bunny) #5

I was wondering the same thing when I started shedding weight, the scale was looking good and dropping but I still had the tummy roll and was like what the heck is going on here?

I was like, I can’t win?

Need to catabolize the loose skin. Cellulite and jiggly skin come from eating too much protein and not enough weight lifting or aerobic exercise while trying to burn body fat, need to shrink the skin (birthday suit) along with the weight loss.

I only eat when hungry and that may be eating once a day or maybe skipping a day, I found that eating less of everything in smaller portions (protein-fat-carbohydrates) is what did the trick for the loose skin, you can call it time restricted eating, intermittent fasting, extended fasting, fasting or call it what you will; don’t like those terms because it infers the connotation of starvation which it’s not, I eat when I’m hungry and not because somebody who slaps a M.D. PhD behind their name says we need to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner or being told “oh you just have to eat three meals a day?” because the dietician Ruth Graves Wakefield the founder Nestles Toll House in her companies vintage commercial advertisements said so? (that’s what started that crap to make you buy more food?) She must be Cookie Monsters idol because she practically invented the “COOKIE?”

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

It’s also a sign that your visceral fat has gone down. Visceral fat is the fat around and inside the organs in our belly, and it is considered particularly unhealthy because, especially inside the organs, it interferes with their proper functioning. The fat in your sub-cutaneous fat layer is what you are particularly noticing now, because your belly is no longer as distended underneath. Congratulations! This is good progress.

(Marianne) #7

Didn’t know this - thank you.

(MooBoom) #8

@atomicspacebunny I’d quite like to see some peer reviewed sources to back up those claims.

(Bunny) #9

Other than from my personal experience and the massive amount literature on the subject here are some links below that touch on that!

[1] Autophagy: Intermittent fasting protein cycling (IFPC)

[2] How much protein is excessive?

“Quite” interesting?

Lots of variables to consider:

1. How big was your birthday suit when you started out?

2. Are you lifting weights and exercising?

3. Do you want to temporarily catabolize some of your birthday suit without lifting weights and exercising?

4. Do I want to over-eat protein and ignore all of the above if I do not have excessive skin?

It sounds as though you are restricting calories & protein on a daily basis but the blog post you linked here

Says as follows:

“You don’t need to be in a constant state of protein deprivation or caloric restriction to get results. In fact not only can consistently under-eating protein be detrimental to your health, but studies also show that the best outcomes happen when you eat a nutrient-rich diet infused with moderate fasts as described above. The way I translated all this complicated science into my lifestyle is to call some days “high” and others, “low.” A high day is when I eat normal whole foods – based diet and a low day is when I restrict protein intake and skip breakfast. I try to aim for three low days and 4 high days a week.”.

(Bunny) #11

…And yes what’s wrong that? Need more details to draw from, not sure what your point is?

It also states:

“…Dr. Ron Rosedale, in fact, suggests going even lower. In a fascinating LowCarb Vail talk (available on YouTube, and highly recommended), he said “Your health, and likely your lifespan, will be determined by the proportion of fat versus sugar you burn in your lifetime”. Remember that excess protein (see last weeks post) falls into the ‘burning sugar’ side of the equation. He also said in that talk, to a group of Low Carb aficionados that “today, it is perhaps more important to restrict protein than to restrict carbohydates“. Strong words, indeed. I tend to agree. …” - Dr. Jason Fung

My point is in my post. You linked a blog post in your efforts to advocate for daily calorie & protein restriction that says you shouldn’t restrict calories & protein on a daily basis.

(Bunny) #13

Still can’t determine what your point is, you need to be more precise?

…Again what is wrong with that?

You have to tell me what I’m doing wrong?

I’m out of time and patience.

(Bunny) #15

Exactly, because you can’t answer your own question that you expect me to answer?

Let’s be clear on this I’m not restricting any calories and not purposely starving myself and eat when I’m hungry (that could be a day later or the next hour), I eat reasonable portions of each calorie less or more based on my body type and lean skeletal muscle volume. Amount of protein is based on lifting weights and exercise which is not very much more. You could also do protein cycling and achieve the same result with loose skin, it is just about your body type and how you choose to approach it?

(MooBoom) #16

The paper seems to contradict itself with the excerpt @anon54735292 noted, and the one you noted @atomicspacebunny. I remain unconvinced by the claim that over eating protein causes cellulite and jiggly skin. I’m sure there are a vast multitude of complex reasons for both, and I’d be leery of saying otherwise.

(Bunny) #17

That’s protein you were eating before you started dieting along with junk food and while your in the process of trying to lose body fat you may want to catabolize some of it because it is stretched out skin from excessive adipose that stretches the skin and then replaces it with more skin not sure how that would not be convincing from a logical or scientific point of view? You build protein (skin tissue) from protein, if you don’t eat so much of it, your body eats itself or catabolize the extra skin; pretty straight forward and simple I would say.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #18

When you pinched it before it was firm with fat under your skin. Now that some of that fat is gone you’re simply pinching loose skin. It will firm up eventually. Autophagy happens all of the time however the theory is that you can make it happen more with fasting and/or exercise. Protein isn’t the cause for loose skin, rapid weight loss is. Congratulations on how well you’re doing!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #19

By this logic someone who ate a carnivore diet, super heavy on the protein, would be sprouting new skin out of their body all over the place. You don’t just add extra skin where you aren’t supposed to have skin by eating protein. Loose skin is the absence of the thing that was stretching it out (fat usually, sometimes huge muscles, sometimes a baby).

(Bunny) #20

Sprouting new skin? Not possible you have to have something underneath the skin to stretch it out?

Eating excessive protein while dieting or rapid weight loss will not allow the body to catabolize it.

That is just a fact that cannot be changed, I really want to believe eating excessive protein has nothing to do with it (I love meat) but I can’t change reality no matter how bad I wish it to be true?