Who have you told about keto?

(Jay AM) #1

I just had a talk with a truck stop cashier about keto randomly and referred her here to the forums (hi if you join and see this!) I also have my friend and his wife, my sister, and potentially my mom. Who have you interested in keto?

(Karen Parrott) #2

Vanpool, few close friends, few close co-workers.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #3

Well, I got turned onto Keto from a coworker (who unfortunately isnā€™t doing it anymore) and sense I started, three other coworkers have joined in to varying degrees.

(Ron) #4

Was actually just talking with a good doctor (chiropractor) friend of mine Saturday about this as he has noticed my improvements and knows me well enough to now that I am a research fanatic and will do my homework. He was genuinely interested and asked for information. I sent him many links for videoā€™s, podcasts, links, and this forum. Will see him and his wife (who runs the office) Saturday for more discussions. I intend not to push aggressively while answering what I can and will find the answers for him if I cannot answer at that time. His wife is also all about essential oils and nutritional health for their patients and suggested that they are always looking for new methods to help patients. He deals with a lot of diabetics and others with neurological symptoms. :pray:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #5

My mum mainly. She keeps starting and stopping and telling me she is waiting until pay day. She has gained quite a bit of weight over the years, and now at 57, I worry for her. I am hoping my progress encourages her to try harder, but I really worry for my mum!

I am still new to Keto and canā€™t answer too many questions, just the basics, I donā€™t think Iā€™m in a position to give out too much advice yet and I try not to push my lifestyle on anyone else unless they ask.

(Ron) #6

Kate ,
You might be new but from your posts on this forum , you are getting a very good grasp on the Ketogenic lifestyle and would undoubtedly do better representing than you give yourself credit for.
Being there for your mum is fantastic and subtle hints occasionally out of love are reflections of that love, so keep up the great work.:clap:

(Tangie Davis Johnson) #7

Hi everyone. New to this board, but not new to the keto life. Iā€™ve been on and off for many years. This time I decided I wanted to do it to see if my knee pain improves and to lose a few lbs and started this past Saturday, 19th. I told my hubby about it and surprisingly heā€™s doing it with me. :sunglasses: It is very surprising that he has given up all his favorites ā€œtemporarilyā€ just to experience what ā€œall the hypeā€ is about. He thinks of this as any other diet, because heā€™s already talking about what heā€™s going to eat on his cheat day. I explained that he will have to start all over, getting back into ketosis, but he doesnā€™t care. :unamused: It only takes me 2 days to get a deep purple color on my keto sticks (high level ketosis), but my hubbyā€™s stick hasnā€™t changed color yet. :thinking: He swears he hasnā€™t cheated yet, so I guess his body is just talking longer to get there or heā€™s cheating at work. He swears he had more energy and feels a little better already though. We shall see.

Anyone who knew me before I started eating Keto, and asked what I did to lose the weight. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way not tell people that I just stopped eating. :grin:

Most of the people Iā€™ve told though havenā€™t tried it, even though they need to. However, I did tell one co-worker, and she went keto. I now think sheā€™s become a bigger evangelist than I ever was. :joy:

Iā€™ve got a few people interested, but theyā€™re just cutting down on carbsā€¦ not really doing actual keto.

Same here. My mom and dad (dad is stage 4 lung cancer and T2 diabetic) and my husband (T2) all have started cutting down though they wonā€™t commit fully. Still, my mom has dropped a few pounds and my husband has as well, and additionally dropped his A1c by a full point, so thatā€™s a win. A close friend has asked me a lot of questions and bought a cookbook though struggles with severe sugar addiction (her words) and having trouble staying away from carbs. My adult son is very interested in hearing more so that gives me hope.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #11

Awww, thank you so much @mtncntrykid! That was very kind of you to say :slight_smile:

(Jay AM) #12

Iā€™ve written about keto strips a few times. Overall, itā€™s not something to base progress on. Darker color means more ketone waste, and we donā€™t want wasted ketones eventually.

(Cynthia) #13

Wow! Too many to count! It is always fun to find fellow Keto people. I overheard a conversation at Starbucks last week, butted in, and met two wonderful young men who were into this life. It is pretty cool to see it spread.

A friend from church, who learned about Keto from me, has had great relief from fibromyalgia. We are planning an informational session for others whoā€™ve expressed interest in Keto. Should be fun!

(Jan) #14

My sister and now she is doing it along with a few ladies in her office.

(Troy) #15

Random people at the grocery store

More specifically those in the dairy aisle that can here me clearer

As I SHOUT AND SCREAM LOUD ā€”-while holding up a package of kerrygold butter in each hand high and proud reaching to the lights!!!

ā€œ I AM FAT ADAPTED, WHAT ABOUT YOU ā€œ!!
:joy:

I share w my parents ( still not believing ) too
SIgh
I guess I share w everyone if they ask or if Iā€™m in the mood. Lol
KETO EVANGELISM :grin:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #16

My husband and my best friend. My husband is a rice and beans kinda guy, followed by three or four giant flour tortillas. But we went out to eat and he bought a meat and noodle dish and I caught him picking out the meat and leaving the noodles!!! My best friend says she has given up crackers.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #17

But thatā€™s a start.

(icky) #18

I have told very few people.

I am afraid of idiot discussions.

(Just a couple of days ago I got the idiot line of this is dangerous for your health and you must never ever do keto longterm, you would not survive.)

I just donā€™t have the patience.

I have told a few people that seemed genuinely interested.

(Alec) #19

Most of the people I tell are just a bit dumbfounded. They donā€™t say that much. Itā€™s almost that they donā€™t believe me that itā€™s the fat I eat and not the running. I think people just canā€™t get their head around how eating mostly fat can make you slimā€¦ ā€œthat canā€™t be, thatā€™s not rightā€¦ā€ I can hear them thinking. When I talk about insulin itā€™s like Iā€™m talking in Greek.

My biggest frustration is that I know some of these people are T2D, and they NEED keto. But they still donā€™t get it. That frustrates the living daylights out of me. I wish I could shake them and tell them they are KILLING themselves with their carbsā€¦ :worried::worried:

(icky) #20

Yeah, I know. The people I care about that are obviously pre-diabetic, I just give little nudges to, but I donā€™t try and ā€œdiscussā€ it in any lengthy way. I think people only do stuff when they are ā€œreadyā€ and trying to push them there quicker can be ennnnnnnndless debates.

I do not have the energy or patience.

I use my energy to do good with people/ situations where I can see results.

Going round in circles frustrates me.

I figure when people are ready, theyā€™ll do it.

And the idiot-discussions - the ones where people just do verbal diarrhea - I takes all my inner strength and belief in pacifism to not just strangle them.

So I try to keep my keto diet low-key.

To preserve my sanity :joy:

Thereā€™s not much left, so I figure Iā€™d better look after what remains!! :grinning: