Ketostix (Useless I know..) and progress

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #1

Is there a way to tell with your ketostix that you are making any kind of progress?

I know they are largely useless especially for someone that doesn’t have diabetes.

I am on Day 22, and since Day 2 I’ve only ever had a ‘trace’ reading on my ketostix, it’s never gone above 1.5mmol.

Should it?
Will the reading change as I am closer to reaching fat adaption?
With a trace reading, can I assume I have been in ketosis for a few weeks now?

I am just trying to understand the relevance of the stix.
I saw a post from one woman saying her’s have been dark purple since the very beginning.
Am I aiming for a high purple reading?
I thought I was just aiming for trace readings.

Please help me understand, any advice is appreciated :slight_smile:

Who have you told about keto?
(Jay AM) #2

Here’s the thing about ketostix. They were made for diabetics to see whether they were at risk for ketoacidosis. The people they are made for would presumably not be keto and not be uptaking ketones while also having high blood sugar and insulin. The higher readings would be showing more danger of ketoacidosis for those people. They show wasted ketones.

For a ketoer, things are different. First off, this requires strict ketosis to make them any bit useful. The cake someone cheated with today could cause ketone dumping tomorrow. Dumped ketones would read high on the sticks but, gives no information about the body.

Someone that is definitely in ketosis (the surest way is by eating under 20g of net carbs) would see a few different things that could mean different stuff. A moderate-high result could either mean ketone dumping (which can be caused by hidden carbs, high insulin) or high ketone production without fat adaptation. Some people’s bodies continue to waste ketones regardless. A low-trace result could mean efficient uptake, fat adaptation, or not producing enough ketones.

And that’s why ketostix are generally useless. The goal might be trace for fat adaptation but, like the scale, doesn’t provide actionable information.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #3

Thank you for explaining so thoroughly :slight_smile:

It is my understanding from Dr. Westman that Ketostix are not useless. Any trace of pink means you are in ketosis. The deeper color some people get can simply mean they are less hydrated not necessarily “deeper in ketosis”. Very few people get a false negative with Ketostix. They are an affordable alternative to blood testing. Having said that, I use a blood meter (Keto Mojo). The strips are $1 each. I like details. Occasionally, I still test my urine just to see if the naysayers are right. They still work for me too. If you’re not having cravings and feel good and are losing weight then you are likely in the NK zone. Don’t sweat it.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #5

I’m at the opposite end of the spectrum but still have had the same concerns.
My sticks have never gone lighter than the two darkest markers. Then you start to wonder, why is my body still waisting all the ketones? Does this mean I’m not fat adapting? I know it’s not because I’m eating any extra carbs.

Finally you just say “hell with it.” As long as I’m doing what I know I need to be doing, fat adaption will come. I’m already feeling some of the effects everyone claims. I’m almost 7 weeks in, and I still don’t think I’m fat adapted yet. But I’m pretty sure I’m close.

From everything I’ve read, I have to assume it’s like the saying about being in love.
If you have to ask, you probably aren’t.

Anyway, KCKO!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #6

I bought the urine strips and only on a couple of days have I gotten to the lightest pink, and that was at night. But I drink a lot of water so that might be the issue. I’m on a day 36. Some days I only eat meat and cheese so I know I’m under 20 carbs

(Tori) #7

I think I’m confused. If we choose to use the ketostix, do we want a darker color or lighter?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #8

Depends. Ultimately, if you’re showing any color, you’re in ketosis. It’s like being pregnant. You are or you aren’t.
If you start of dark, you would expect to see a lightening when you become fat adapted. This is because at first your body starts releasing ketones, but it doesn’t efficiently know how to use them as fuel, so it’s expelled from the body. As your body becomes fat adapted, it will use more of the ketones for fuel, thus expelling less of them.
However some people won’t show more than traces. They are still in ketosis and will still adapt.
As stated before, the sticks are ultimately not precise. They can tell you a yes/no for being in ketosis, but the levels can be off. So I wouldn’t worry about it too much. I used mine just to check when I went into ketosis (day 3). Since then it’s never changed much for me so I only check it every few days now. I haven’t had any cheat days, but if I did, I would want to see if it had any impact, but it would be for curriosity only, knowing it’s not precise.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #9

Thanks for all the answers, I understand a wee better now :slight_smile:

(Tori) #10

Thanks LeeAnn! I tried to reply to the other post, but it’s told me I’ve replied too many times in one day :joy: I appreciate your advice. I bought 3 keto books in the beginning and recipes. The informational content was only but so good. So I think that’s why I’m so confused and trying to figure this out. Do you use MCL oil? If so what brand? I bought some prior to research and didn’t realize it has 6g carbs 1 tbsp.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #11

Do you mean MCT oil? It shouldn’t have carbs. It’s 100% fat from coconut oil.

Yes, I’ve used it. I like it in my BPC, though many say it’s just over priced glorified coconut oil. Be very careful with it at first though. It can mess up your digestive system if you aren’t used to it.
I don’t use it much anymore as I don’t have BPC much now that im doing 2MAD. I want to add it back in since I’ve been constipated lately. I think it will help flush things out.

(Jay AM) #12

Adding to the “you are or aren’t” idea. It’s also about context, if you cheat, don’t even waste time using a stick. It’ll either show high because it dumped excess ketones when your insulin shot up, low because it’s holding back ketone use and production in the system, or moderate because of a combination.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #13

Good to know Jay. I’ll keep that in the back of my mind, since I have no intention or desire to cheat at this point. Not even a little bit.

(Garrett) #14

I’ve been “on the program “ for 10 weeks. Lost 25 lbs. sticks were purple for nine weeks. Over the last week they have only turned very light pink. I am not hungry anymore and Have been on a 18/6 IF regimen since I started. I’m calling myself fat adapted. Worth mentioning that I’ve been on a plateau for the last week but I am not worried about it because I am just going to follow the program and let the cards fall where they fall. I feel so good now that I cannot imagine going back to the Darkside!

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #15

You certainly sound fat adapted, congrats! I’m a few weeks behind you, about to enter week 5 on Monday.