Which is Better ... Lower BG or Longer Fasting

fasting
intermittentfasting

(DeleteMyAccountPlease) #1

Background: I’ve been KETO’ing for about four months. About a month ago, I started intermittent fasting 16/8 (12-8pm). My morning BG was around 105. A couple of days ago, I switched to 10-6pm, which I have found much easier and enjoyable. My morning BG is now around 102.

Today, I’ve noticed again that when I eat my first meal, my BG drops to 95, which I’m loving. However, now, I wonder if keeping my BG at 102 (fasting) for five more hours until eating is better for me than eating something first thing in the morning and getting BG to drop and keep it there until I eat lunch.

Recap: Is fasting (no insulin) for a few more hours better for me than eating something upon waking up that will drop my BG seven points and keep it lower, on average, throughout the day?

Hope that even makes sense! :slight_smile:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #2

I’m not an expert but fasting longer seems to be the better approach. You will still be producing some insulin when you eat. When insulin is present you store glucose as fat. When insulin is absent you are burning your body fat.

(Nickie) #3

I asked almost the exact same question when I started IF. It used to stay elevated until I ate.

After about two months my morning glucose droppped and now stays down until I eat. I sometimes have a morning spike but it lowers within the hour after I wake.

(DeleteMyAccountPlease) #4

Very cool. Thanks, Nickie!

(Andy) #6

You can also try breaking your fast with some beef bone broth, coconut oil and some cayenne. This preps your gut and body without spiking insulin too much!

(DeleteMyAccountPlease) #7

So, I’m back to this question again. But, what if I don’t care AS MUCH about burning fat as I do keeping my blood sugar down longer throughout the day. My thought was to eat an egg and two bacon strips, for example, for breakfast to bring blood sugar down. Would I be creating enough insulin with that to totally disrupt the benefits of intermittent fasting? Thanks!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #8

Gosh Michael I have no idea. You question is above my knowledge level.

What benefits for IF are you trying to achieve?

I want fat loss first and foremost right now but If I can reduce insulin for longer periods I think my BP will drop some more over time. I assess my biggest health risk that I am aware of is my persistent high BP. It’s in a better range but I take too many meds for BP and it is not in the ideal range yet.

I do want autophagy but only 3rd in line to the above. The nice thing is that I think if I’m strongly stimulating autophagy (low GKI value) I should be in max fat burning mode and that means low insulin.

BTW - I just happened to notice this message to me. Seems notifications are still intermittent.