Where to begin

(Isheima Richardson) #1

Hi! I’ve calculated my Macros…researched what is used in this WOE but still can’t wrap my mind around living a Keto life!! I don’t know where to began with Meal Planning or if I should do a fast!!!:upside_down_face: I have 60lbs I would love gone!!! I work from home now so I am able to control what I eat! Any suggestions please I need them!! TIA

(Jean Taylor) #2

Most recommend not fasting until you’re fat adapted.
You know what kinds of food you like to cook and eat. I would recomend looking into ways to make them keto friendly. Do you have an app for tracking your macros?

(Rob) #3

Sign up to http://www.DietDoctor.com (free for first month if you don’t like it - but it’s great) and get some meal plans (and a ton of extra info)… or keep it super simple. Bacon/eggs/cheese for a meal or 2, fatty meat/non-starchy veg, sauces for extra fat, low carb nuts/cheese/deli meats for snacks. You’ll probably need snacks at first but soon won’t. Fatty meats include chicken thighs (skin on), beef steaks e.g. ribeye (fat not trimmed), pork steaks (similar), ground beef 80/20 or 73/27, pot roast-able joints like beef chuck or pork butt.

With macros - some calculators want you to run a calorie deficit. DO NOT. Eat close to your TDEE. Work this out here: https://tdeecalculator.net It will probably be a lot more than you think. That is OK. Give yourself a few weeks to start to adapt. Supplement electrolytes via keto-ade to minimize keto flu

and don’t worry about exercise. It usually confounds your adaptation rather than helps. You can get back to that in a few months unless you are a gym rat and not going would bum you out too much. If you do, go gentle.

Oh, yeah - do NOT fast. It is an advanced skill you should practice and build up and is healthier and easier once your body is adapted to using primarily fat for fuel (at least a couple of months in).

DO NOT FEAR THE FAT. If you do, you need to do more research to convince yourself it isn’t dangerous, otherwise you will self sabotage.

I’m only 5 weeks in, best advice I’ve read on here is to not think about what you can’t eat, but think about things you can- for me, being able to have double/ HW cream, cheese, salad dressings, fried breakfasts, avocados, things I’d restricted or not had because they had too much fat in, I am enjoying so much! And keep carbs down to under 20g, don’t worry about calories at all. I didn’t worry about the macros, I’m veggie so I know my protein’s not that high, just controlled the carbs & ate lots of fat!
There’s loads of recipes on here, or online sites like DietDoctor or Ruled.me, I found lots I wanted to try & took meal planning from there.
Good luck!

But when you consider that the things you can eat needs some of your time to cook, and it might lead to food that you don’t like in the end…

(Isheima Richardson) #7

Yes I have Cronometer!! I’m just learning how to calculate my macros. I now need to know how to count the macros that I eat :upside_down_face: I

(Jo) #8

Changing your way of eating will involve reshuffling your time so that you can heal yourself. If you got into this with the mindset that it is going to fail because it is too time consuming or too difficult, there is only one outcome. You will fail.

(Tina Emmons) #9

Join me in a group on FB called Keto Recipes. The possibilities are ENDLESS!

(Jean Taylor) #10

I don’t know what cronometer is like. Usually people will use an app that shows grams and % of your macros. General consensus seems to be keep carbs under 20g eat protein according to your lean body mass and fat to satiety starting out. After fat adaptation, which can take up to 3 months, you may reduce fat some because your body is using your own fat in its place. Until then you want to keep your fat up or you’ll be hungry and it will lower your metabolism.

One question I’ve seen repeatedly is how to get all the fat. Some people do fat bombs I’ve never done that it just seems like one more thing I would have to cook and I don’t have time. I add fat to broths and make sauces or mix up dips or dressing or just melt some butter and dip in that.

It’s not as bad as people assume it’s going to be. I think they picture slabs of boring meat on a bed of kale or something. You can probably make something somewhat similar to most anything that isn’t really heavily carb focused without too much more effort that the original recipe would have taken. Just takes a little playing around. Below I added some possible substitutions that might help.

You can replace milk with nut milks, heavy cream, or coconut cream or a comination of them depending on what you’re going for. I prefer the coconut almond blend milks as far as nut milk goes they have less coconut flavor than coconut and are less watery than almond. Make sure you get unsweetened.

I use xanthum gum for thickening. I have no problems with it i dont know if anyone else does i havent seen people mention it either way. Its typically used in baking and will not have instructions on the box for thickening most likely start with a VERY small amount like 1/8 or a 1/4 tsp and sprinkle it lightly over what you’re thickening then stir in. If it’s not thick enough you can always add more.

Riced cauliflower for rice.

Cheese shells for tacos or tostadas. Put cheese on a piece of parchment paper (I use sliced cheese havarti usually but it doesn’t matter as far as I know) stick it in the microwave and heat it until the cheese starts getting dry. The bubbles in the middle will pop and not refill the outside and sometimes the inside will start turning golden brown (easier to see on white cheeses). Remove while hot and use the edges of the paper to bed into taco shells wait 15-20 sec and it should hold it’s shape.

Faux tatoes are usually cauliflower blended is some way. I make mine more like loaded baked potatoes butter, sour cream, cream cheese, bacon, onion, green onions (keep in mind onions are fairly high carb so watch how much you use if you try this.)

Zucchi noodles

Hubby made meat noodles the other day. I couldn’t eat them. They weren’t bad but i watched him cook them and the amount of time they cooked creeped me out. I don’t know the exact recipe but it’s on here somewhere if you search meat noodles it should come up.

Fathead pizza dough can be used a ton of different ways. Just Google it tons of options

(Isheima Richardson) #11

Thanks, just added and I see recipes already I want to try!!:grin:

(Steve ricci ) #12

Make it simple, eat what had a face on it at one time.