Where can I buy Keto friendly food?

I was going to say something similar @EZB said it better.

It concerns me when you buy boxes of Atkins treats. That is not how this is supposed to work. Even walmart has lots of cheeses, cream, cream cheeses, eggs, meats and salads available. You can make your own condiments and do not have to rely on sugared ones. Yes it is easier if you can follow a recipe but there are so many easy items to cook and grab. Also, try to get in the habit of intermittent fasting. It is a great tool because I no longer bring snacks, if there is no keto food available I do not eat and it is not a problem. So much easier

(Daniel Crispin) #33

Thanks. I registered to the channel and will watch a few of their videos tonight. :slight_smile:

(Daniel Crispin) #34

ok thanks! It’s not to eat as is. I want to use it in recipes like low carb brownies and the like. Maybe I should simply use coco powder then.

Sugar alcohol? Will have to check the ingredient lists. Odd they would use alcohol in a protein bar. Thanks for the warning. I only intend to eat those after my workouts. I purchased 3 boxes, 3 different flavors. Macros are similar between the 3, only slight variations. I have not checked the ingredient list though. I mainly look at Fat and Carb content now and also look to see if a good part of those carbs are fibers. Maybe I will have to look at what is in it too … sigh.

(Daniel Crispin) #35

Hum. Protein bars are hardly treats. They are meal replacement items. I use protein bars post-workout to repair muscle damage. The ones I had were high in carbs, so that is why I wanted Quest Hero one which are very low in carbs but they are not available locally. Atkins bars are not as low in carbs as Hero bars, but at 9g total carbs (5 of which are fibers) they are much much lower than the 30g of carbs from my previous ones.

I am searching for specific items to create recipes. This is not what I plan on eating all the time, but when a recipe calls for 5 items you can’t find, it’s a little annoying. I have found most of the items on my list. I have printed 2 pages of food I can eat, the basis for the diet will be eggs, meat, vegetables and oils. There are easy to find. The more exotic ones like coconut flour are the ones I was having issues finding… that doesn’t mean I plan to eat that every meal.

Did you try DietDoctor.com?

Also another one I like is WickedStuffed.com for recipes.

I don’t think I bought coconut flour until I was 3 months into keto and I live in an area with tons of Whole Foods.

Maybe use hard boiled eggs instead? While I have no idea as to your level of exercise, in general protein is not the most important dietary component on this diet. Yes you need some protein (generally between .8 - 1.5 gram per kilo of either lean body mass or ideal weight depending on activity) I am not sure you need it immediately after exercise unless you are fasting (and even then). Assuming your ideal weight is 180 lbs (obviously I have no idea what it actually is), then as an active person you may want to get 135 grams per day. That is not very hard to do, as someone who is supposed to get no more than 70, I can get to at least 90 grams without even realizing while eating normal meals a day. Also, fish has a lot of protein per gram, more than a lot of land animals. My problem is limiting my protein while eating normally on keto, not increasing it using artificial food which what Atkins bars are

(KCKO, KCFO) #37

Remember the 2ketodudes are on youtube as well.

(Charlie Kathopoulis) #38

@calendyr I like using (though I don’t do it that often as I normally am breaking my fast after my workouts and generally have a proper meal) making a protein mousse - it’s simply a scoop of your favourite whey protein powder (mine claims it is zero carbs, but please check anything you buy as they do add sugar alcohols to some who might kick you out of ketosis), 100 ml of thickened cream and 20 grams of butter (they are my ratios so have fun playing but I end up with around 6 carbs). I use a hand mixer to whip them all together, and I sit back and enjoy as it is fairly thick and decadent. A friend of mine does the same though he uses cocoa with a dash of stevia. Either way, you get your fats, your protein and minimise carb.

(Daniel Crispin) #39

I have not purchased Protein powder yet. Not sure I will. I like protein bars because they require no effort. Just unwrap and eat. If I have to prepare something, I feel I might as well prepare a proper meal.

I have managed to find all the stuff I wanted and made myself Keto Chocolate chips cookies. 10g of carbs each with the sugar substitute I have (Sucralose) so I feel that is too high. And I have weak willpower when I eat stuff like that. So keeping it to one cookie per day like I planned did not work out :wink: So I will have to go easy on this kind of stuff.

Right now I am trying to find good food to meal prep for a week at a time.

Last week I did hard boiled eggs and chorizo for breakfasts and beef chily for dinner.

Next week I will repeat the Eggs but will use sausage instead if chorizo.

For Dinner and Lunch I will make a beef and pork taco mix (just the meat and spices) and chicken drumsticks.

Still need to find more receipes that are well suited to prepare a batch for the week. But this is a good start.

(Richard Hanson) #40

Just like there is a Glycemic Index which attempts to quantify the impact of various foods on serum glucose levels, there is also an Insulin index which attempts to quantify the impact of various foods on insulin levels. It is easy to measure blood sugar levels so this is what the vast majority of people measure and talk about, but for T2D the true problem is not blood glucose, it is insulin, insulin resistance, hyperinsulinemia with high blood sugar levels being a symptom of the underlying metabolic dysfunction.

Some foods have a low Glycemic Index but a surprisingly high Insulin Index, and this includes a lot of foods that are high in protean. Fats have the lowest impact on insulin.

I am also, or I was also, a T2D, and I would never select to eat a protein powder as I already have a hard time keeping my protein consumption in my desired target range. I would much rather expend my protein grams on steak, or a pork chop, or a bit of kielbasa.

(Charlie Kathopoulis) #41

@FatMan that’s fair enough buddy - I am fortunate in that I don’t suffer the deranged metabolic problems you have. Thus i can get away with whey. I know some people do have an insulin spike when taking the powder, and we mustn’t forget that protein has around a 45% the effect of glucose on insulin secretion (@richard i think that’s what you said?) Best thing though is to test your response to different foods :slight_smile: - but great on having been a T2D that is great work.

Stews and briskets are always good.

I avoided artificial sugar and anything sweet other than blackberries and raspberries for the first 3 months. I still rarely eat them

(Keto Travels) #43

For some variation with the eggs, frittata works quite well for me! Just mix with any meat and veg of your choice/ what’s around … I particularly like spinach with some smoked salmon on the side, or asparagus/Cherry tomato/beef strips …

(Daniel Crispin) #44

I went to the Bulk Barn tonight (at Marché central for those of you in Montreal). I was pretty disappointed with the prices. For a place that sells whole sale, the prices are higher than what you would find in a supermarket. The only good thing there is that they have some items I could not find anywhere else in Montreal.

I purchased about 400g of Stevia/Erythritol mix, 400g of Monkfruit sugar/Erythritol mix and 400g of dark cocoa powder and all of it came to 30$ with taxes. So I am not sure I will buy there again, will have to see if I can find better prices online (on Amazon for instance).

I was also disappointed not to find Brazil nuts there. I have been unable to find Brazil Nuts anywhere in Montreal. Macademia nuts are available but at a completely insane price. I believe the lowest I have found was 25$ per Kilogram. Compared to Almonds that I can find at 8$ per kilogram, it seems to me like this items is overpriced… how is it in the states?

For comparison for you guys using the imperial system, 1 Kilogram is 1000 grams and is equivalent to 2.2 pounds.

So it took a while but I feel like I have pretty much everything I want to cook with now. Except maybe MCT oil but again, that item is super expensive here, about 35$ for a bottle of roughly 1 liter. So it’s about 3 times the price of good quality Coconut oil. I know it’s refined from coconut oil to it makes sense it would be a lot more expensive since coconut oil only contains about 20% MCTs but still… I think for now I will stick with cold pressed coconut oil for my recipes and low cost standard coconut oil to cook in.

(Candy Lind) #45

Not alcohol, sugar alcohols. Sugar that is chemically changed - most do not affect blood sugar and do not need to be counted as carbs. NOTE I said MOST. 2 biggies: maltitol is in that Atkins crap you bought (MHO) and very likely affects your blood sugar and should be counted as a carb. Xylitol is popular and has low GI, but IS HIGHLY TOXIC TO DOGS. Either avoid it if you have dogs or be VERY careful about where you store it.
Here, educate yourself. And watch a few videos where keto folks give their opinions on what and what not to use AFA sweeteners go. KetoConnect and Cooking Keto with Christie both have videos on sweeteners.

(Becky) #46

Here’s a chocolate mug cake recipe that is easy, quick and won’t hurt ya.

2 TBSP cocoa powder (cheap at Walmart, aldis, trader joes)
1 egg
1 TBSP heavy whipping cream (Walmart, aldis and trader joes…try the shelf stable boxes at TJs, they keep well and are cost effective)
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
Tsp of sweetener or to taste

Whip it together pour into greased mug (I use bacon grease…yum). Microwave for 90 seconds. Eat with real cream whipped cream in the can (Walmart, aldis)

I batch cook by boiling a dozen eggs and storing them in the fridge.

Making turkey sausage (ground turkey meat (not lean) and seasoning of choice) large family package, shaped into patties, baked on a cookie sheet, cooled, freeze, don’t even have to reheat if I’m on the run.

Carl’s recipe for pulled beef, my version is in the oven, largest, fattiest chuck roast I can find, heavily seasoned, maybe some additional fat I’ve begged the butcher for, covered, cooked low and slow in the oven till fork tender. Then rip it apart with two forks, right in all the grease and juice in the pan. It reabsorbs the juices and I freeze it in 1/2 cup servings (sandwich bags). I’ve been meaning to try this with a pork shoulder…ohhh.

(Becky) #47

Butter bob! Butter makes your pants fall off and the magic of steaks and hamburgers. He has a ton of great videos.

Can you buy real whipped cream in a can that does not have added sugar? I don’t think I’ve ever seen this, but it would be a time saver to have that on hand. Brand?

(Troy) #49

Lindt 90% bars

So that would be about $12 per lb (2.2 lbs per kilo). That is high but not insane. I buy them at Trader Joes and pay 8 or 9 US for 10 ozs (a lb has 16 ozs)

(Amber Davidson) #51

Aldi has a ton of the basics.

Grass fed beef 85/15. Not great but $5.99.
Frozen veggies.
Grass fed cheese, Kerry gold butter, whole Greek yogurt, sourcream…

Pork rinds
Olive oils

Cagefree, organic or factory Eggs…
I havemy own chickens :chicken: pastured, free range.
(Cage free means kept in a warehouse, they still don’t see the sun or eat a bug or grass ever)

Bone broth at any whole foods store.

Walmart has the least expensive store brand of plain gelatin I’ve found or was it Redners? Big box $4.99.

Ghee at an Indian food store.

Fun stuff!