Where am I going wrong?

I would start my day before with a full sugar energy drink or a sugary full fat coffee.
That would buy me a few hours but I might have a chocolate bar in there on some days.
Lunch maybe a can of coke and another chocolate bar and large Crisps.
After work I’d be hungry so would snack until making kids dinner, mainly biscuits, more coffee, chocolate. If I bought a family bag of m&ms I’d easily eat them all which making kids dinner!
Then I may eat a little with the kids and then after their bedtime I’d have a cup of tea and sometimes more sweet treats!
Now today I’ve had a coffee with sweetener and almond milk when I got up, then for lunct Spinach, bacon, cheese and Avacado.
Snack was a square of 85% chocolate and peanuts
Just about to make a Spinach and mushroom omlette for dinner, will still have my cup of tea later on with a dash of milk
So a drastic change as you can see!! So far I’m surprised how well I’ve managed

(Robin) #22

Drastic change is right! The only thing I would tweak is to add more meat. And then some more meat. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve seen myself eating 500g of chocolate in one sitting! It’s ridiculous
Yes I usually do have Meats, I was brought up vegetarian so find I’m more comfortable with Cheeses but I do make an effort with my Meats

(Robin) #24

Yeah, I was a very happy vegetarian for years. It’s a paradigm shift, for sure.
Ironically, I am now one of those people whose gut can no longer tolerate veggies.
I think over time, as we eliminate various foods, we’ll easily identify which ones make our new body happy and which ones (sometimes our old faves) make us tired, or have inflammation, pain, gut issues etc.

I am super impressed that you have cut out all the sweets! Of course, the presence of carbs (sugars) are what makes us crave more carbs. So it makes sense. You will be amazed at the lack of physical cravings. That’s one of my favorite things about keto. Some still struggle to overcome the emotional cravings. But when you have they urge to hit the fridge, grab something keto and it will pass.

Good luck. I can tell you have what it takes.
You got this!

(Rebecca ) #25

No need to be embarrassed at all! My previous “diet” was pretty dismal, too!

And if not adding meat, definitely some good protein. Yes, there are eggs and cheese but it probably isn’t enough.

The before menu was a bit painful to read. I ate a ton of sugar and other carbs myself, sweets and whatnot but I ate proper food too, my body wanted it. It’s odd to me that it totally doesn’t happen to some others. A reliable body that actually tells us what it wants is precious. But mine worked better when I took off most of the carbs, hopefully yours do the same!

It’s a really huge change, I am impressed. Even more if you can stick to it for long :wink:
Good luck!

(Diana) #27

This indeed is a huge change!! I used to eat straight up carbs (mostly veg, grains etc) but still carbs nonetheless. Plus had massive sweet tooth. We can all relate! Protein was an after thought and only if it accompanied something tasty (like pasta). Can’t even relate to that person anymore as my palate drastically evolved with keto.

As I’ve seen others post, I know it’s a hard adjustment but try adding in some meat or fish (any kind that is palatable). it will help improve satiety. Those have tons of protein…

Yes, but not ratios, track grams. Ratios don’t work in the long run.

Day 2 of properly tracking grams
Keeping to 20g carbs so I’ll update in a week and hopefully be able to share some progress!!
Thank you for your replies everyone!!

If you are comfortable with eggs, they are a good source of protein and have a good fat to protein ratio. :grin:

Yey tweaked for 2 days and already lost my first pound!! Finally!! Day 11 of low carb but day 3 of under 20g, hoping its on its way now

Yes, slow and steady is the way to take it. For some it is sudden and others not so much. Our bodies will heal and repair themselves.

(Steve L.) #33

The recent emphasis by Diet Doctor on identifying satiating foods is definitely worth the read. The Cliff Notes are that leaner meats and above ground vegetables are the most satiating. Start adding fat to the protein, like cheese or ribeye which has more of its own fat? Or adding butter or olive oil? The meal is less satiating. I have become convinced, at least for me, that eating leaner meats and above ground veggies and adding as little fat to those as I can is the way to go. I NEVER eat anything packaged that has the word “keto” or “low carb” on them. EVER. PERIOD. FULL STOP.
These are ALWAYS products designed by Nabisco or General Mills or you name it to make a super-palatable food that has sugar or artificial sweetener tucked in to fool us. One trick, of many, is that they make the serving sizes so small that they can put 1gr of sugar on the package and we think that it’s okay. But none of us would eat 1 serving. These companies have food tasters whose job it is to make sure their offerings taste incredible.
Don’t be fooled. Please consider choosing foods that have names like: lamb, beef, eggs, asparagus, butter, olive oil. If in a weigh loss phase, avoid cheese and other “fat bombs”. Remember, to lose weight we need to be burning the fat on our backsides and not fat on our plate. We can be in deep ketosis and not lose a single ounce if we are putting fat on the plate. Thoughts, ideas, replies? Anyone come to the same conclusion? Or maybe another approach that works?

(MC) #34

If it helps, I started end of June this year and didn’t move one iota of weight for three weeks, in fact I think I even went up a pound. Where was the whoosh?! I was having one meal a day, skipping all food in the evenings, keto strips were barely pink…

Now we’re into Sept I’m 10lbs down, somewhat more lazy keto at around 40g of carbs and still losing.

Keep calm
Keto on

I feel I’m going to be a gradual looser rather than the massive loss straight away.
I’m down another 0.4 pound so I hope this is actually fat loss by now rather than a small amount of water?
I’m almost at the 2 weeks mark.
I’ll carry on as I am as I’m finding it very doable, still craving sugar, funny enough it’s always around 4/5pm so need to think of quick go to keto snacks as I’d imagine this is the time that I’m likely to break- tired after work and looking for a quick fix. Coffee with cream usually helps at this time too.
It sounds weird but I feel slimmer even though the scales haven’t shifted much! I feel as though I can feel my bones more than usual! Maybe placebo effect, but it definitely feels like it. So reassuring myself that behind the scenes some good changes are taking place!

@Milliecake1234 I’ve only ever got a trace on my sticks!
Maybe because my pee is diluted with plenty water? Would love to see a pink one day!! Are yours showing pink now?

I’m slowly weaning off of the ‘keto’ chocolate
I definitely needed it in the beginning days as there was no way I could go cold turkey with all the chocolate I used to eat.
That’s good to know I’ll have a look at the diet doctor, I’m not one for fatty Meats anyway I can’t stomach it. I’m still cutting fat off bacon for example.
In finding naturally with eating keto my calories are well below 2000 per day anyway I’m rarely over so don’t tend to over do things like cheese and cream.

(MC) #38

Mine are back to pink after a week’s holiday, then another week and a half to get back into ketosis. Took me a while to get to pink at the start as well and I drink like a fish lol The pink is just excess ketones, so don’t worry over the colour, might be your body is using all of yours more efficiently.

And don’t worry about the scale. I noticed clothing changes before the scales showed me anything. Don’t feel daunted that it might take a while, most of us take longer to see scale shifts.

This post really helped when I first started out as well, it really is true:

(Allie) #39

Slow and steady is the best way, be patient :heart:

(Diana) #40

Yea!!! I’m rooting for you. The fact that you’re seeing the results even if the scale is moving slow is fantastic and more important than anything. I think earlier someone noted keep measurements of your body. Tape measure every few weeks as If this is moving then who cares what the scale says. (Granted I know myself I still want to see the scale with a lower number but perhaps you’re better than I ).

Also for your 5 pm slump, not sure if you’ve tried this it is an acquired taste….take 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and add to a glass of sparkling water. Helps curb cravings when you’re just looking to eat out of habit or boredom etc.